Page 1 of 2 12>
Topic Options
#359469 - 03/03/04 05:58 AM Which company offers the best holder?
dbeman
Learning the Ropes

I have a handful of cards that I want to get encapsulated for keepsake reasons. I'm not interested in increasing the resale value of these cards, I'm merely hoping to preserve them forevermore in my personal collection.

That being said; which company provides the better encapsulation?

Since my cards are oddball trading cards, I have emails out ot a few places to see if they'll even provide service for my cards. Thus far Certified Express has given me a definite yes and SGC has given me definite maybe. I'm fairly certain that neither PSA nor BGS will be able to help me.

If you've had experience with both SGC and CEX, whose holder to you like better?

Thanks in advance for your input!

Edited by dbeman (03/03/04 06:54 AM)

#359470 - 03/03/04 06:11 AM Re: Which company offers the best holder? [Re: dbeman]
grilloj39
I am gonna miss that car.

Loc: San Antonio, TX

I am not a Beckett customer...but if you are only concerned with a nice-looking and secure holder...Beckett has the best holder available. Your card will even be inserted into a mylar sleeve with a sturdy, thick holder.

Both SGC and GAI have nice holders as well. The SGC holder is thicker than it's GAI counterpart and presents the card in a better fashion imo, but the GAI holder has an attractive black border as well with a silver label and also a label on top of the holder so you can identify the card without removing it from a storage box.

It's all about personal preference, but again, if security and protection are your main concerns, go with the Beckett holder.

Edited by grilloj39 (03/03/04 06:13 AM)

#359471 - 03/03/04 06:30 AM Re: Which company offers the best holder? [Re: dbeman]
aconte
Bid more or post more... tough one...

Loc: On The Beach....where else!

dbeman,

I'm not familiar with CEX.

As an SGC customer, I like their holders and the way the card presents
itself in the holder. I am quite satisfied with Sgc.

Good luck with your cards.

aconte

#359472 - 03/03/04 11:25 AM Re: Which company offers the best holder? [Re: aconte]
botn
I am gonna miss that car.

Loc: Santa Monica, CA

I like the security offered and the look of the BVG holder, although it is a little thick. I also like the SGC/GAI holders for the balck insert that makes any card look sharp regardless of condition.

A hybrid of the two would be outstanding!!!!

#359473 - 03/03/04 01:47 PM Re: Which company offers the best holder? [Re: dbeman]
MW1
veteran

Quote:
If you've had experience with both SGC and CEX, whose holder to you like better?

dbeman,

I like the report card that CEX produces but remember, a report card is only as meaningful as the accuracy of the grading company that issues it.

#359474 - 03/04/04 11:44 AM Re: Which company offers the best holder? [Re: MW1]
dbeman
Learning the Ropes

Quote:

I like the report card that CEX produces but remember, a report card is only as meaningful as the accuracy of the grading company that issues it. In this case, SGC is by far the most accurate and consistent grader. SGC holders are secure and they are esthetically appealing. My advice is to have your cards graded by SGC.

Well keep in mind this is for my personal collection, so grading accuracy is not as important to me as is a self, well protected and well preserved card.

That being said...

CEX clearly states that their protectors are made of Lexan and are UV resistant.

SGC doesn't state that their product is UV resistant. (It may well be, but I need to know for certain.)

Also, I do like the look of SGC's holder; but have heard a few horror stories about the black insert (miscut inserts, "floaties" etc.) How common are these issues?

#359475 - 03/08/04 04:12 AM Re: Which company offers the best holder? [Re: dbeman]
MW1
veteran

Quote:
Also, I do like the look of SGC's holder; but have heard a few horror stories about the black insert (miscut inserts, "floaties" etc.) How common are these issues?

dbeman,

I have never experienced a problem with the black insert.

Keep in mind that in order for a card to be completely "safe" from light sources, a holder must include both a UVA and UVB protectant. If a company is going to invest this much money in its holders (and I doubt any company has), compensation will likely be made elsewhere. Think about the huge costs that would be involved -- a good example would be the cost of different types of sunglasses. Those that are only tinted can be purchased in a variety of styles for $9.99 or less. Those that fully block both UVA and UVB rays generally start at about $40.00. I sincerely doubt any grading company makes holders that offer full UV protection.

Keep your cards in a dark or dimly lit room when they're not being viewed or invest in a display fixture with a special UV protective film or glass.

#359476 - 03/08/04 04:18 AM Re: Which company offers the best holder? [Re: MW1]
jackstraw
Talkative?

Loc: @ a Baseball Card Show

the only problem i have ever had with the insert is that maybe a piece of it kind of sticks over the side of the card! it happens rarely but i have seen it. depending on how much money you want to invest i would say stick with sgc and wait for the specials one is happening right now.

#359477 - 03/08/04 04:28 AM Re: Which company offers the best holder? [Re: dbeman]
MW1
veteran

Quote:

CEX clearly states that their protectors are made of Lexan and are UV resistant.

dbeman,

I did some more research on Lexan and it appears that plastics can contain different amounts of it. Plastics which contain insufficient amounts may not be effective in blocking UVA and UVB light. I also found that Lexan is the same material used for bullet resistant glass in autos. It is such a hard material that a special diamond grinding wheel must be used to cut it. I could be completely mistaken, but I doubt CEX holders are this durable. If they were, it would be nearly impossible for you to break or scratch them. I would also think that the demands of this type of manufacturing process would be cost prohibitive for purposes of third party grading.

#359478 - 04/22/04 10:34 AM Re: Which company offers the best holder? [Re: MW1]
dbeman
Learning the Ropes

After a long journey, this morning I finally received my first shipment of graded cards from SGC.

Overall I'm very pleased. My only concerns (and they are relatively minor ones) are:

1. Little white "floaties" that have been encapsulated along with the card.

I assumed that the cards would be encapsulated in a dust free environment, but either they were not or the "floaties" of which I speak have broken off of the insert.

2. Two cards were returned ungraded with no explanation.

I'm assuming either they couldn't verify the authenticity of the cards (they were alternate art promo gaming cards for a game that is not widely known) or they won't grade a card with "risque" artwork. (Both cards feature painted artwork of topless females). They did, however, refund the submission fee in the form of a coupon that I can use with a future submission.

Of course the two cards that were returned ungraded were the two that I wanted encapsulated most of all...they are promo cards handed out by the game designer to a select few and are pretty hard to come by.

So overall I'd give the Experience a "92 NM/MT+ 8.5".

My next step is to have the remaining two promotional cards graded by Certified Express, and then I'll be able to compare and contrast the quality of the encapsulation (which, if I recall correctly, was my original question!)

Page 1 of 2 12>

Moderator:  EARLSWORLD 
Hop to:
Who's Online
0 registered and 4 anonymous users online.
Newest Members
jklmno253672, hijklm176309, defghi521014, klmnop450123, abcdef863349
1966 Registered Users

Generated in 0.03 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression disabled.