Page 2 of 2 <12
Topic Options
#359479 - 04/22/04 11:37 AM Re: Which company offers the best holder? [Re: dbeman]
deadlyembrace
The Venus Card Trap

Loc: Austin, TX

dbeman --

A quick call to SGC could be useful in two ways: you'll get clarification regarding the cards that were returned ungraded, and you'll be able to appreciate firsthand the value added of SGC's customer service.

Good luck.

#359480 - 04/22/04 11:40 AM Re: Which company offers the best holder? [Re: deadlyembrace]
deadlyembrace
The Venus Card Trap

Loc: Austin, TX

Now that I've submitted my previous post, I realize how ridiculous it sounds to characterize customer service as "value added". But when considering recent nightmare customer service experiences with other grading companies, perhaps it really CAN be thought of as value added.

Maybe I just need more coffee ...

#359481 - 05/06/04 05:12 AM Re: Which company offers the best holder? [Re: deadlyembrace]
dbeman
Learning the Ropes

The Final Result...

Actually, I can only speak knowledgably about three companies; PSA, SGC, and CEX (Certified Express). After a few months, the results of my highly subjective study has concluded.

Best Overall Holder: SGC

Hands down, the most sturdy and attractive holder comes from SGC. The plastic is crystal clear, the black background is eye catching, and I'm confident that the card inside is safe and secure.

Second Best Holder: CEX

That's right, this virutally unknown company has a better holder than PSA. They're about the same size, but a little thicker and the plastic at least appears to of higher quality.

Best Prices: CEX*

Certified Express offers a 7 day turnaround for $7.00; and they're right on the money. Less than 10 days after leaving my hands, my cards were returned to me and graded.

* - but how can you beat SGCs $5.00 Modern Special? Only the 20 day turnaround kept them out of the top slot!

Best Customer Service: CEX

In addition to the fast turnaround time for the best value, CEX gave me a free t-shirt and included a little note letting me know that my business was appreciated & that the turnaround time for my order was ahead of schedule.

SGC lost out here only because they refused to grade two of my cards, yet offered no explanation as to why. (They did give me a future credit, so its not all bad!)

So if I had to do it all over again?

I would go with SGC. The high quality holder is the most important feature to me, and as such they have won the majority of my future business.

#359482 - 05/07/04 09:42 AM Re: Which company offers the best holder? [Re: dbeman]
Fabfrank
(S)uper Collector

dbeman- curious results. I've never heard of CEX. Do you have a scan of one of their cards to post so we can see the holder?
#359483 - 05/07/04 06:31 PM Re: Which company offers the best holder? [Re: Fabfrank]
grilloj39
I am gonna miss that car.

Loc: San Antonio, TX

Fabfrank...the link to their website: http://www.certifiedexpress.com is down. I hope they didn't go out of business. Here's the link in case it's just a temporary problem.

Certified Express Sportscard Grading Website - Web Site is Down

#359484 - 05/11/04 08:54 AM Re: Which company offers the best holder? [Re: grilloj39]
Fabfrank
(S)uper Collector

Grillo- Tried your link and the site is still down. Thanks for the linkage though!
Page 2 of 2 <12

Moderator:  EARLSWORLD 
Hop to:
Who's Online
0 registered and 7 anonymous users online.
Newest Members
klmnop450123, abcdef863349, vwxyz{570399, nopqrs004715, tjf092071
1963 Registered Users

Generated in 0.034 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression disabled.