Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#359950 - 03/03/04 06:16 PM On Bonds and Steroids and card values...
MW1
veteran

According to reports citing a federal investigation, Barry Bonds' personal trainer (Greg Anderson) supplied him with steriods that were manufactured by Bay Area Laboratory Co-Operative (BALCO). A federal report cited in several publications alleges that Greg Anderson was observed carrying an unknown substance and delivering it to a special player entrance at Pacific Bell Park during a Giants game. It has also been alleged that Bonds took steroids during 2001 when he set the single season record for home runs.

And recently, Andy Van Slyke, a former teammate of Bonds when he played for the Pirates, had the following to say (from espn.com) --

Quote:

"Unequivocally he's taken them," Van Slyke said. "I can say that with utmost certainty. Now, I never saw him put it into his body, but look ... the physical evidence is there. People do not gain 35 pounds of muscle in their late 30s without a little bit of help.

"When I played with him, I weighed more than him and yet he was still a tremendous player. He still had good power, and he was an MVP. The physical facts are the physical facts, and when you're 36, 37 and 38 years old is not when you peak with your home run production."

My question is this -- although Bond's agent vehemently denies these reports and allegations, will this news have a negative effect on the value of Bonds' cards, especially his rookie issues?

Opinions?

#359951 - 03/03/04 06:35 PM Re: On Bonds and Steroids and card values... [Re: MW1]
srs1a
Old, dense-headed hammers are cool. Best nail pounders.

Loc: NY

I guess we will see soon enough. My personal opinion is that he is widely (correctly?) viewed as a total a-hole and this has done a number on his card values. Then add a scandal on top of that...and I don't think I'll be picking up any of his rookie cards.
#359952 - 03/03/04 07:54 PM Re: On Bonds and Steroids and card values... [Re: MW1]
buttermarc
Collector

Loc: NYC

Quote:

My question is this -- although Bond's agent vehemently denies these reports and allegations, will this news have a negative effect on the value of Bonds' cards, especially his rookie issues?

Opinions?

In addition to what has already been said -- add in the glut of production of Bonds cards in 1986 and 1987 - it seems like the only two Bonds cards that have any long-term potential value anyway are:

1986 Topps Traded Tiffany

1987 Donruss Opening Day Error (Johnny Ray)

#359953 - 03/04/04 06:45 AM Re: On Bonds and Steroids and card values... [Re: buttermarc]
njdolphins
The Collectinator

Loc: Trimmed, Pressed, Power Erased

I think this will be another huge black eye for baseball and will impact more than just card prices for Bonds. With the recent disclosure of Bonds, Giambi, Sheffield etc... have received steroids, it lends credence to the attestments of folks like Canseco and Caminiti who said upwards of 70% of players were on the stuff.

Also, I was listening to the sports talk show hosts on WFAN in New York that have been around for 15 years and they said that when they get these players in "off the record" conversations, although they never admit to taking it themselves, the estimates range from 30 to 70%.

#359954 - 03/04/04 07:29 AM Re: On Bonds and Steroids and card values... [Re: njdolphins]
aconte
Bid more or post more... tough one...

Loc: On The Beach....where else!

I was listening to the same program on WFAN and heard that conversation
about off the record comments. I was surprised the number could be so high.

Anyhow I think a lot of people are not Bonds fans due to his arrogance.
This always hurt his card prices. The steriod thing won't help Bonds collectors
get premiums for his cards.

aconte

#359955 - 03/04/04 07:55 AM Re: On Bonds and Steroids and card values... [Re: aconte]
njdolphins
The Collectinator

In addition to the Bonds/baseball thing, did anyone take note that ESPN was basically told to discontinue their hit series "Playmakers" which dealt with supposed real-life issues that occur in the NFL lockerrooms? To that point, I read an insightful article on ESPN.com which basically said why is a 230lb baseball player automatically thought of as being on steroids when a 330lb football player is merely strong

#359956 - 03/05/04 05:14 AM Re: On Bonds and Steroids and card values... [Re: njdolphins]
MW1
veteran

If Bonds were to hypothetically pass Babe Ruth's home run total of 714 and move into second place behind Hank Aaron on the all-time list, what effect would it have on his most desirable rookie card(s)? Would we see a significant increase in value or would the price change be nominal? Any predictions?
#359957 - 03/05/04 07:23 AM Re: On Bonds and Steroids and card values... [Re: MW1]
Vintagedeputy
The Collectinator

Loc: Richmond, Va.

I think that there would be a small spike in prices but everything is so high now that it can't get much higher. Plus, with all of the overproduction of today's issues dealers can ask what they want but I think few people would pay overboard prices.

Give me a vintage Mantle or Mays any day of the week over Bonds

#359958 - 03/05/04 07:26 AM Re: On Bonds and Steroids and card values... [Re: Vintagedeputy]
njdolphins
The Collectinator

I'm waiting to see if Upper Deck or someone else will release some 1/10 or 1/5 or 1/1 Bonds cards that would be a "relic" card that contained his jersey swatch on one part of the card and the swatch of a BALCO lab tech on the other side

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  EARLSWORLD 
Hop to:
Who's Online
0 registered and 11 anonymous users online.
Newest Members
defghi104200, jklmno253672, hijklm176309, defghi521014, klmnop450123
1967 Registered Users

Generated in 0.017 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression disabled.