Page 1 of 2 12>
Topic Options
#360449 - 03/04/04 11:38 AM For the latest SGC grading mystery look at this
carew4me
Just got here

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2789647609&category=57993

http://www.network54.com/Hide/Forum/thread?forumid=153652&messageid=1078349658&lp=1078376146

Looks like someone went to the cleaners!

How could the graders not be able to detect repair and clean job like this.

I hope the president of the company comes on these boards to explain in
person.

#360450 - 03/04/04 12:13 PM Re: For the latest SGC grading mystery look at this [Re: carew4me]
botn
I am gonna miss that car.

Loc: Santa Monica, CA

Carew4me

It is obvious that you are only here to stir up trouble and that this thread was created to sully SGC's name and not with the purpose to alert collectors to a potential problem.

SGC and GAI, who have more talent and competency in their grading room after hours than PSA does at full staff, and they both saw nothing wrong with the card. I am in possession of the card and still see nothing wrong with it even after being presented with the before image.

If SGC feels that this card should not be in the their holder it will be retired. I can assure you that they will not deal with this in the way that Orlando routinely deals with problems that he is presented with. All grading companies make mistakes. Nobody should fault them for this. It comes down to how they deal with the problem that separates the men from the boys.

I am not making excuses for anyone but a $700 card pales in comparison to some of the abortions that exist in PSA holders.

#360451 - 03/04/04 12:26 PM Re: For the latest SGC grading mystery look at this [Re: botn]
aconte
Bid more or post more... tough one...

Loc: On The Beach....where else!

Interesting reading. Maybe Sgc should relook at the card and if there is a problem
fix it.

Carew,

If I posted all the errors and complaints from the network54 board on to the
Psa registry board there is a good chance that any post you start there would
wind up on page two. From the complaints of labeling errors to misgrades
to a bunch of other stuff that I don't follow (like you might), it would be a lot
of posts. But that is not the point. Have there been a lot of negative threads
started by the 'Sgc gang' that has caused you to come here and bust
cahonies? Or are you just bored and decided to write some long boring
threads for fun?

aconte

#360452 - 03/04/04 12:27 PM Re: For the latest SGC grading mystery look at this [Re: botn]
Sean_C
Hobbyist

I'm personally taking it as Carew4me's not so subtle attempt at pointing out that people who live in glass houses should be a bit more careful when throwing stones at the people "across the street". All grading companies make mistakes, and occasionally bad cards get through. The best that grading companies can offer is that they'll catch 99 out of 100 such bad cards, which is certainly better odds than just about every member of every messageboard (with the exception of Mike, Jim, Marc, Dan, and a few others) could ever hope to achieve.

<-walks a way humming a Beatles tune...

Quote:

Carew4me

It is obvious that you are only here to stir up trouble and that this thread was created to sully SGC's name and not with the purpose to alert collectors to a potential problem.

SGC and GAI, who have more talent and competency in their grading room after hours than PSA does at full staff, and they both saw nothing wrong with the card. I am in possession of the card and still see nothing wrong with it even after being presented with the before image.

If SGC feels that this card should not be in the their holder it will be retired. I can assure you that they will not deal with this in the way that Orlando routinely deals with problems that he is presented with. All grading companies make mistakes. Nobody should fault them for this. It comes down to how they deal with the problem that separates the men from the boys.

I am not making excuses for anyone but a $700 card pales in comparison to some of the abortions that exist in PSA holders.

#360453 - 03/04/04 12:37 PM Re: For the latest SGC grading mystery look at this [Re: Sean_C]
aconte

Quote:

I'm personally taking it as Carew4me's not so subtle attempt at pointing out that people who live in glass houses should be a bit more careful when throwing stones at the people "across the street".

Sean you are right. But I think not everyone lives in glass houses
over here. Also, I think carew is just being an a$$. Refer to my response
to him.

aconte

edit - I see the mistake I made.

Edited by aconte (03/04/04 12:40 PM)

#360454 - 03/04/04 12:43 PM Re: For the latest SGC grading mystery look at this [Re: Sean_C]
carew4me
Just got here

Sean_C: Correct! You win the frozen Turkey

BOTN: Would the Cobb qualify as an "abortion in a holder"?

Aconte: I posted this siuation HERE not on the PSA boards. (too easy)
The PSA 9 Rose rookie that was generated such wild eyed hysterics here was just a scrutinized "across the street" and that is a PSA board!

BOTN please keep all of up to date on this most serious issue. Most collectors
agrre that SGC strength lies in there scrutiny of vintage pre-war.

Why do feel as though I am not doing a service to other collectors by highlighting this situation? That is perplexing given the zeal you have for saving the world from PSA.

#360455 - 03/04/04 01:05 PM Re: For the latest SGC grading mystery look at this [Re: carew4me]
Sean_C
Hobbyist

One thing I think we all need to remember is that we all "live in glass houses" in this hobby. Karma is a fickle mistress, and she can play pretty interesting jokes at times. It's the way we react to these incidents and the lessons that we learn in these situations that reveal the true nature of us all.

edit - removed the image in case people didn't like it. I'll post a link to the quote instead:

Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster.

Quote:

Sean_C: Correct! You win the frozen Turkey

BOTN: Would the Cobb qualify as an "abortion in a holder"?

Aconte: I posted this siuation HERE not on the PSA boards. (too easy)
The PSA 9 Rose rookie that was generated such wild eyed hysterics here was just a scrutinized "across the street" and that is a PSA board!

BOTN please keep all of up to date on this most serious issue. Most collectors
agrre that SGC strength lies in there scrutiny of vintage pre-war.

Why do feel as though I am not doing a service to other collectors by highlighting this situation? That is perplexing given the zeal you have for saving the world from PSA.

Edited by Sean_C (03/04/04 01:30 PM)

#360456 - 03/04/04 01:25 PM OK [Re: Sean_C]
aconte

Thanks carew for keeping an eye out for Sgc collectors. With this type
of contribution and only a handful of posts I look forward to hearing from
you more often on these boards. If you do the same on the Psa boards with
the Psa issues network54 has you will help all collectors. You are a
true ambassador.

Your sig line should be "Never get cheated." Unfortunately, that one is taken.

aconte

#360457 - 03/04/04 01:29 PM Re: For the latest SGC grading mystery look at this [Re: Sean_C]
botn
I am gonna miss that car.

Loc: Santa Monica, CA

Sean,

First of all I am not making excuses for GAI, SGC in grading the card or myself for listing the card. I have spent more years than I want to remember in my dealings with PSA where I experienced plenty or errors. Errors have never been my beef with any of the companies. The way in which the errors are dealt with has been my focus. You should look back at my posts.

Carew,

It would suggest that the E95 Cobb would be considered an "abortion". Which is why I had a talk with Sean from SGC and the card is going back to them. He did not hesitate in offering me a check for the final selling price on ebay if after review the card did not warrant being in their holder. I declined the professional courtesy. The card will be resold by me in an ungraded state with full disclosure, after they review it and once Baker from GAI gets a look at it.

Now this, my friends, is how a grading company should opperate.

#360458 - 03/04/04 02:01 PM Re: For the latest SGC grading mystery look at this [Re: botn]
carew4me
Just got here

Aconte:
Thanks for the welcome. And I will certainly scream "citizen's arrest"
on the CU boards as well, its just that if there is any problems with a PSA holder there are at least 5 people who will elbow each other out of the way to be the first
to expose it so the Holden Caufield role is well represented "over there"!
"Over There!" "Over There!" "We will fight...." oh sorry

BOTN:
I guess I was just shocked that this relatively major issue with a big time pre-war card was not mentioned by you yourself. I mean help some brother's out!
Dont be shy. Your downright revered in some circles so people listen to you.
I mean the Net54 guys are the ones that exposed this, why shoot this messenger.

I think SGC response to the issue is commendable and gives no reason to
abandon their product. Would it be fair to say that PSA has kicked out checks in a timely manner when it has been PROVEN that they made a mistake?

Page 1 of 2 12>

Moderator:  EARLSWORLD 
Hop to:
Who's Online
1 registered (K-Nole) and 1 anonymous users online.
Newest Members
defghi104200, jklmno253672, hijklm176309, defghi521014, klmnop450123
1967 Registered Users

Generated in 0.018 seconds in which 0 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression disabled.