Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#365578 - 03/09/04 12:03 PM Why grade this card & thoughts about SCD
estang
(S)uper Collector

1985 Don Mattingly Topps Arvhives, SCD 7

Why even have a Topps reprint of a 1985 card graded. If it was his 84 rookie, I could understand. I'm betting he doesn't get a bite @ $2 and $1.50 to ship.

Although not stated anywhere that I can find, SCD is no longer grading cards. What's your thoughts about this. What was the inside scoop on their efforts, who was grading them and what happened.

My thoughts were that they entered the market too late and had a nice holder, flip and graded accurately. I was a bit disappointed they stopped, as their cards were available at very good prices.

I'm thinking that had they started their efforts 5 years ago and not so closely associated themselves with Larry Fritsch, that they would still be around. However, this doesn't bode well for them overall. How much longer can their weekly publication exist? I think it should go to bi-weekly and needs an overhaul.

Erik

#365579 - 03/09/04 08:01 PM Re: Why grade this card & thoughts about SCD [Re: estang]
steve52bowman
Just got here

SCD got cought up in the WIWAG scandal and thus have been laying low.
#365580 - 03/10/04 06:41 AM Re: Why grade this card & thoughts about SCD [Re: steve52bowman]
srs1a
Old, dense-headed hammers are cool. Best nail pounders.

Loc: NY

Steve52b, you are mistaken....SCD had nothing to do with WIWAG...more acurately, WIWAG had nothing to do with SCD. There are several threads on this board and on the CU board that could bring you up to speed.

I agree with you estang, I thought that SCD did a pretty good job -- while my sample size is small (maybe 4 or 5 cards), they all crossed cleanly into SGC holders and you could pick them up for a very good price. And, I think you are right -- they came into a crowded market too late. We now have 3 reasonable options for vintage card grading...and there isn't a need for a fourth.

#365581 - 03/11/04 07:21 AM Re: Why grade this card & thoughts about SCD [Re: steve52bowman]
dbeman
Learning the Ropes

As for the question about someone's reasoning to grade a card...

There is a distinct difference in my mind between someone who "collects" and someone who "collects and sells". A collector/seller will, more than likey, not go through the trouble of having a card graded and encapsulated if he or she won't see a decent return on their investment.

A collector, on the other hand, may choose to have a card encapsulated for preservation sake. This card may have some sort of sentimental value for the collector; like perhaps it was a card that he or she saved since childhood and was purchased at the first baseball game the attended.

As to why someone would want to have the particular card you mentioned graded, I do not know. But please keep in mind that not everyone has their cards graded and encapsulated with the intent to sell them.

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  EARLSWORLD 
Hop to:
Who's Online
0 registered and 6 anonymous users online.
Newest Members
klmnop450123, abcdef863349, vwxyz{570399, nopqrs004715, tjf092071
1963 Registered Users

Generated in 0.023 seconds in which 0 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression disabled.