Page 2 of 4 <1234>
Topic Options
#367340 - 03/11/04 07:44 PM Re: Who are your 3 favorite grading companys? [Re: wrigleyfield]
MW1
veteran

#367341 - 03/11/04 07:53 PM Re: Who are your 3 favorite grading companys? [Re: MW1]
vayank
The Amazing Card-Man

Loc: Alexandria, Va

1) SGC

2) SGC

3) PGS

#367342 - 03/11/04 08:00 PM Re: Who are your 3 favorite grading companys? [Re: Rip]
MW1
veteran

Quote:
BTW Do you guys have problems with cleaning and pressing like us comic guys do?

Rip,

My understanding is that cleaning and pressing, when done properly is undetectable by CGC graders. With a possible isolated example here and there, I cannot say that something of that magnitude (at least in terms of adding value) would consistently slip by SGC. The only true comparison I could make is perhaps when stains are removed from some sports cards. In every case where I've seen this done, however, I can discern a difference -- either in the color or texture of the card stock.

#367343 - 03/11/04 08:39 PM Re: Who are your 3 favorite grading companys? [Re: MW1]
Rip
FACT if I stop posting, trillions and trillions of transistors would be out of work.

Loc: West Coast

Quote:

Rip,
My understanding is that cleaning and pressing, when done properly is undetectable by CGC graders. With a possible isolated example here and there, I cannot say that something of that magnitude (at least in terms of adding value) would consistently slip by SGC. The only true comparison I could make is perhaps when stains are removed from some sports cards. In every case where I've seen this done, however, I can discern a difference -- either in the color or texture of the card stock.
My feeling is that paper restoration techniques that have been developed over the past 100 years or so, are better suited to restoring comics than baseball cards. To that extent, it seems that restoration (and how to categorize it) is a more significant problem in the comic industry than in the sports card and memorabilia industry. Although I will say that there is a small group of dealers/individuals who seem to account for the majority of the "work" that is done (Is the same true for comics? I bet it is). I'd post their names again but the last time I did, I was suspended from these forums.

No question its difficult and intent questionable. Pressing, if the book is disassembled is detectible most of the time when graded by a knowledgable grader.(At least that's the rumored claim. In my years of working for a large dealer/grading books I would also agree to that rumor.) CGC will also PLOD the book. If the book is not disassembled it is very difficult to make that judgement call if and when it is detectible. In most cases the intent can also be questioned. Was the book pressed on purpose or was it a result of storage. I would guess a similar debate occurs here?

As for cleaning, dry cleaning is ok by CGC, wet chemical cleaning is not. Chemical cleaning is much much easier to detect, I don't know about cards. Dry cleaning if DONE PROPERLY, is many times almost impossible to detect. But many times these dry cleaning actions aren't really hidden because of CGC's acceptibilty.
I would guess trimming is the biggest problem with cards, cleaning and color touch distant second and third.
CAN YOU FIND THESE BOOKS? HOS 81 9.2 or better Tomahawk 116, 127, 128 VF/NM or better I'll pay $250 for a 9.2 Tomahawk 116 (Will be glad to check out VF's and up also) Giant Comics Editions 12 (Any grade!!) $750 for a 2.0 Also looking for Army of Darkness 1 CGC 9.9

#367344 - 03/11/04 08:55 PM Re: Who are your 3 favorite grading companys? [Re: Rip]
MW1
veteran

Quote:

I would guess trimming is the biggest problem with cards, cleaning and color touch distant second and third.

I would generally agree. In particular, years that are commonly oversized are targeted. Good examples would be T206s, 1933 Goudeys, 1939 & 1941 Play Balls, 1955 Bowmans, 1965 Topps, cards that were typically issued in sheets (i.e., 1970s Topps baseball and 1980s O-Pee-Chee Hockey), and many modern cards such as SPX and SP Authentic.

#367345 - 03/12/04 06:13 AM Re: Who are your 3 favorite grading companys? [Re: MW1]
downgoesfrazier
I am gonna miss that car.

Loc: Summer of '77

1. PRO
2. GEM
3. Fred's Grade-O-Rama

...hey, I gotta get my 10's

#367346 - 03/12/04 08:42 AM Re: Who are your 3 favorite grading companys? [Re: downgoesfrazier]
estang
(S)uper Collector

1) SGC
2) BGS/BVG (best holders and sub-grades)
3) SCD (nicest labels and sub-grades...stopped business)
4) PSA (no half grades or they'd be higher for me)
5) GAI (smart to put info on lip of label)

Erik

#367347 - 03/12/04 11:18 AM Re: Who are your 3 favorite grading companys? [Re: estang]
grilloj39

Loc: San Antonio, TX

1) GAI...no surprise here for everyone who knows me. When you combine price, holder security, customer service, and grading experience, they are tops IMO.
2) SGC...they will be getting some of my business as well. Solid grading, good customer service, solid reputation on the pre-war cards.
3) PSA/PGS...PSA for convenience...PGS for prices on vintage commons.
4) BVG...they are no longer the "tough" graders that they used to be.

The look of a holder has absolutely no bearing on my decision...I know this sounds sick but I actually like the simplicity of the PSA holder from an eye appeal standpoint...I just wish it was more secure...I also wish a "continuous improvement" philosophy would exist there. They do not seem proactive in making their product better.

I could care less about looks...but I am concerned with the security of the holder.

#367348 - 03/12/04 11:33 AM Re: Who are your 3 favorite grading companys? [Re: grilloj39]
Rip
FACT if I stop posting, trillions and trillions of transistors would be out of work.

Loc: West Coast

So do many of you think PSA holders are much less secure than SGC and GAI?

Edited by Rip (03/12/04 11:34 AM)
CAN YOU FIND THESE BOOKS? HOS 81 9.2 or better Tomahawk 116, 127, 128 VF/NM or better I'll pay $250 for a 9.2 Tomahawk 116 (Will be glad to check out VF's and up also) Giant Comics Editions 12 (Any grade!!) $750 for a 2.0 Also looking for Army of Darkness 1 CGC 9.9

#367349 - 03/12/04 11:45 AM Re: Who are your 3 favorite grading companys? [Re: Rip]
grilloj39

Loc: San Antonio, TX

RIP...the short answer is yes...I used to be big on the crossover thing. I have busted many a PSA card out of its slab without damage to the holder. I am sure this happens a lot with others as well and someone with bad intentions could simply learn how to reseal the slab.

Page 2 of 4 <1234>

Moderator:  EARLSWORLD 
Hop to:
Who's Online
0 registered and 4 anonymous users online.
Newest Members
klmnop450123, abcdef863349, vwxyz{570399, nopqrs004715, tjf092071
1963 Registered Users

Generated in 0.018 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression disabled.