Page 4 of 4 <1234
Topic Options
#367360 - 03/27/06 10:06 PM Re: Who are your 3 favorite grading companys? [Re: FoomMember]
FYS
Bid more or post more... tough one...

Loc: Michigan - The Spartan State

Quote:

1. Looks like PSA has the consistency

2. BVG / BGS seem to be gaining due to 'problems' with PSA business practices

3. SCD - but are the 'new guys' as trusted as the 'red circle' SCD?

more and more cards of the higher sought after type are turning up as PRO graded? holder has some issues, but are they for real?

1. PSA consitently grades a large volume of cards.
2. BGS is ahead of PSA in modern. I do not think any serious collector uses BVG or BCCG.
3. SCD is dead. The new guys are not SCD. Nobody should use anything but SGC, PSA, GAI or BGS. It just does not make sense.

For me, SGC is #1. If you really wanted to be open minded, someone could make a very valid argument for the following:

1. 1869-1947: SGC is king with PSA second.
2. 1948-1979: PSA is king with SGC second.
3. 1980-Today: BGS is king with PSA second.

I do like SGC's position of trust is the most rare and valuable cards. It is much easier to move from the 1869-1947 range to 1948-1979 then from 1980-present to 1869-1947.

The next five years in the grading industry will be very interesting.
1. Will GAI survive?
2. Will PSA continue to battle BGS in modern? Will it cost them the entire vintage market to SGC in keeping up this fight?
3. Will SGC make a strong mark in the 1948-1979 range?
4. Will SGC spend any efforts in the modern market?
5. Will BVG survive?
6. Will BCCG survive?
7. Will the modern collectors continue to grade cards?

Fun stuff, but I will stick with SGC. Chances are we will all have to resubmit to someone in our lifetime (new companies, new grading standards, new slabs etc.), so what matters to me right know is that I use someone I trust, as far as consistency and authentification is concerned.

#367361 - 03/28/06 10:00 AM Re: Who are your 3 favorite grading companys? [Re: FYS]
aconte
Bid more or post more... tough one...

Loc: On The Beach....where else!

Quote:

Chances are we will all have to resubmit to someone in our lifetime (new companies, new grading standards, new slabs etc.), so what matters to me right know is that I use someone I trust

Mike,

Your statement is dead-on to me!

It is hard to know where we will be long term (and I mean ten plus years)
with the graded card landscape. If you don't intend to sell for a long long time
it is important to have your cards graded with a company you have a lot of
faith and trust in. For me SGC is my number one choice. Ten, fifteen,
or twenty years from now we could be looking at a lot of different companies
with mergers or failed businesses. I know with my sets my cards are worth
what they are worth. Having them in their Sgc holders only adds to protecting
and validating their financial value. They are a proven leader in the industry!

aconte

#367362 - 08/09/06 02:37 AM Re: Who are your 3 favorite grading companys? [Re: wrigleyfield]
GREY ALIEN
Learning the Ropes

My 3 Favorites are:

BGS - only for newer cards
SGC - more for vintage
GAI - newer & vintage

#367363 - 08/25/06 11:11 AM Re: Who are your 3 favorite grading companys? [Re: GREY ALIEN]
ExPsaUser
Learning the Ropes

1. SGC

2. GAI

3. PSA ( need a better holder)

Bill

#367364 - 08/26/06 08:38 AM Re: Who are your 3 favorite grading companys? [Re: Rip]
autobilia2
Hobbyist

1. SGC
2. SGC
3. SGC

Honorable mention: SGC

BGS, as said many times, is a conflict of interest. They use their hold on the price guide market to boost their prices. How can you grade cards and then price the graded cards?

PSA consistantly make obvious mistakes that any novice collector can catch. Only thing keeping them upfloat is that they have always been backed by dealers. And I seriously doubt the dealers will bite the hand that feeds them no matter how the cards look. I've seen SGC 3's that looked 10x's better than a PSA 5. I pointed that out to a PSA supporter in which the auction had front and back scans of the SGC card, but didn't have a back scan of the PSA card. OF course, the PSA cards sold for more. I guess some people are as brainwashed and the ones who see Beckett as their commander in chief when it comes to prices.

#367365 - 08/26/06 01:25 PM Re: Who are your 3 favorite grading companys? [Re: autobilia2]
ExPsaUser
Learning the Ropes

Funny you mention Beckett and their obvious conflict. I was browsing the Bay last week and looking at BVG cards and I could not believe that a particular card was being sold by Ebay user Beckettmedia....SO now they grade, price, and SELL....Beckett are losers and have been especially since they were bought out.

Quote:

1. SGC
2. SGC
3. SGC

Honorable mention: SGC

BGS, as said many times, is a conflict of interest. They use their hold on the price guide market to boost their prices. How can you grade cards and then price the graded cards?

PSA consistantly make obvious mistakes that any novice collector can catch. Only thing keeping them upfloat is that they have always been backed by dealers. And I seriously doubt the dealers will bite the hand that feeds them no matter how the cards look. I've seen SGC 3's that looked 10x's better than a PSA 5. I pointed that out to a PSA supporter in which the auction had front and back scans of the SGC card, but didn't have a back scan of the PSA card. OF course, the PSA cards sold for more. I guess some people are as brainwashed and the ones who see Beckett as their commander in chief when it comes to prices.

#367366 - 08/29/06 10:43 PM Re: Who are your 3 favorite grading companys? [Re: ExPsaUser]
autobilia2
Hobbyist

Quote:

Funny you mention Beckett and their obvious conflict. I was browsing the Bay last week and looking at BVG cards and I could not believe that a particular card was being sold by Ebay user Beckettmedia....SO now they grade, price, and SELL....Beckett are losers and have been especially since they were bought out.

They always sell their graded cards on Ebay. They do that for their users (almost like a grade and sell service).

Page 4 of 4 <1234

Moderator:  EARLSWORLD 
Hop to:
Who's Online
0 registered and 8 anonymous users online.
Newest Members
klmnop450123, abcdef863349, vwxyz{570399, nopqrs004715, tjf092071
1963 Registered Users

Generated in 0.016 seconds in which 0 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression disabled.