Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#369593 - 03/12/04 08:52 PM I did something stupid two days ago
grilloj39
I am gonna miss that car.

Loc: San Antonio, TX

The weather in San Antonio on Wednesday was gorgeous...we have a small inground pool in our backyard in which I keep it up all year around so we (my family) had a small Texas BBQ and Swim.

Well I had this 1977 Topps Hockey set I was going through--the cards are Mint or Near-Mint-Mint. I was trying to sort the Trottier, Orr, T Esposito, Milbury Rookie, and Palmatier rookie. I was saving a lot of time by combining my card sorting and BBQ activities at the same time--making sure my hands were washed each time I touched the cards.

Later that evening, I noticed BBQ stains on the Orr card. I apparently didn't do a good job of washing my hands (and maybe arms). So I picked up the card in agony and then I accidently dropped the card and dinged a corner. The sad part is that I had examined that Orr card real close and it was genuine Mint (perfect centering, sharp corners, great surface, etc) (I couldn't find a flaw.) Now, there is this BBQ smudge on the card and a dinged corner that will forever remain in raw condition. I am not even going to replace it. Hopefully, I will serve as a reminder to be more careful in the future.

The bottom line is if your're going to work on your hobby and touch some mint cards and hopefully submit them for grading, do it while there are no distractions---don't be an idiot like me.

#369594 - 03/13/04 08:07 AM Re: I did something stupid two days ago [Re: grilloj39]
aconte
Bid more or post more... tough one...

Loc: On The Beach....where else!

grillo,

OUCH!!!!

I've been there too. Some of the ones I remember is my card drops when I run out
of room on my desk. I've done this a couple times when getting cards ready
for a submission.

You just hold your breathe a hope for no corner dings! I had a nice Brian
Westbrook card that I was going to keep and submit just because I liked
the card of this ex-Villanova running back and I dropped it before I got it
in a cardsaver. Nice ding. I gave the card to my two year old nephew.
I can only imagine what it looks like now.

aconte

#369595 - 03/15/04 09:20 AM Re: I did something stupid two days ago [Re: aconte]
nolemmings
Hobbyist

I hate it when that happens!!

About a week ago, I had a 1936 4-in-1 Exhibit with Appling and Lyons that I had just won at auction--supposedly NM. I took that card out of the holder and scrutinized it every which way, and concluded that it was borderline NM, probably worth a shot for submitting. Walking into my room to find a better card Saver IV (its holder was scratched and ugly), I stumbled on something and the card went flying. Swear to God it was like slow motion as I tried to "get under it". I knew that you can't just snatch it-probably would ding it or worse. I volleyballed it a couple of times but it dropped. Luckily, it landed absolutely flat-- still, whether my imagination or not, it now seems to me closer to Ex-mt/nm than before.

Also, once I practically stole a 1916 Morehouse Baking card off of Ebay, because the seller did not advertise the back. Anyway, it arrived in a penny sleeve tucked inside a rigid, again all scratched and taped. So I take it out and marvel--it is legitimately nm and only set me back about $15.00. I carefully place it raw in my shirt pocket and go home. Stop at a convenience store for some reason on the way, proceeed to checkout, notice a quarter on the floor--my lucky day!!!--bend over and sure enough, out falls the card, landing on a corner, and I've now got a vg-ex at best!! Nearly wept openly on the spot!!

As for your faux pas, I'm sorry for the hobby's sake that such a nice card has been desecrated by KC Masterpiece or whatever sauce you were using. That's why I always "scrub" before looking at cards anywhere near mealtime.

Todd

#369596 - 03/15/04 03:01 PM Re: I did something stupid two days ago [Re: nolemmings]
grilloj39
I am gonna miss that car.

Loc: San Antonio, TX

nolemmings...Thanks for sharing your story as well. BTW...it's a sin in Texas to buy BBQ sauce out of a bottle. It was my homemade recipe.

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  EARLSWORLD 
Hop to:
Who's Online
0 registered and 6 anonymous users online.
Newest Members
defghi104200, jklmno253672, hijklm176309, defghi521014, klmnop450123
1967 Registered Users

Generated in 0.015 seconds in which 0 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression disabled.