Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#372452 - 03/15/04 07:37 PM MW1....
Bruceswar
Pedigreed

Loc: Mesquite, Tx

Here is the older card from BSA you wanted to see... here is one I got ahold of...

Attachments

#372453 - 03/15/04 07:38 PM Re: MW1.... [Re: Bruceswar]
Bruceswar
Pedigreed

Loc: Mesquite, Tx

the back....

Attachments

#372454 - 03/16/04 08:19 AM Re: MW1.... [Re: Bruceswar]
MW1
veteran

Bruceswar,

I can't really tell much from that card. The corners look EM and there might be a slight crease or scratch near the middle, but I cannot say for sure. It would be easier to tell based on a group of standard vintage submissions like T206s or 1933 Goudeys. The 1938 Churchman's 50-card boxing issue is widely available in high grades and really doesn't command very much grading skill.

#372455 - 03/16/04 08:37 AM Re: MW1.... [Re: MW1]
Vintagedeputy
The Collectinator

Loc: Richmond, Va.

It really sounds like BSA is a grading company formed by a couple of relatively naive and inexperienced dealers.

MW,

I think you were being kind. To me it sounds like a couple of high school kids trying to make a few bucks for the summer. Looks like they did alot of cut/paste work on their shipping info......wonder where they are getting their cases from?

Just my humble opinion.

#372456 - 03/16/04 09:03 AM Re: MW1.... [Re: Vintagedeputy]
Basilone
If I just sell the car, I can up my bid...

Here is the text...

Hello and welcome to Ballpark Sports Authority. We’re not standing on a soap box or throwing shots at others. We are simply grading trading cards. When you think about it … The card grading industry is still in its infancy. If you are like me and many others … some of our children have been around much longer. There are some absolutely wonderful card grading companies out there and we don’t intend to knock what they do or how they do it. There is nothing we want to criticize and we don’t point fingers. We simply have a method … and we like it! Some time ago, I’m not exactly sure of the date but it was around the middle of 2001, ideas were generated and development began on an automated program for authenticating and grading all types of trading cards. Although the program is adequately functional, the ultimate plan is rather futuristic and is a long way off. I won’t give any hints at this point but the prospects of achieving our goal almost leaves me speechless! In the interim we’re quite happy with “Intelligrade” but we never plan on ending development or being satisfied. The idea is simple and it’s based on two things … logic and preference. This may be a rather silly analogy but I used to wear my pants a bit tight. Well … very tight! Now though, I like a scoche more room in my britches so it doesn’t hurt when I sit. It’s only a matter of preference and certainly based on logic. Our preference when it comes to grading trading cards is to provide plenty of room. Again, I’m not being judicious about a 10 point or 19 point grading scale but to me 100 points makes a lot of sense. It’s like using the full 12 inches on a ruler to measure with instead of only one or two. Grading “anything” is based on a scale and there are simply different scales. I’ve been in the business of evaluating and grading for many years and although the methods are broad and many variations exist depending on what is being evaluated, the result is what we are after. We want that result to be accurate so we know what we have or what we are about to acquire. If we are talking about a highly sought after and potentially valuable baseball card say for instance a 1951 or 1952 Mickey Mantle, condition is absolutely everything!! Nothing wrong with ’51 and I’ll include my story some day, but lets say I want to grade my ’52 Mantle and I send it in to be graded using the 10 point scale and it comes back a 9 (yeah I wish). Then I take the same card and send it to be graded with the 19 point scale and it still comes back a 9. Wonderful grade and one could only be elated to have such a card in that condition. The problem is … I think it’s nicer than a 9. Here is what’s interesting … the card is nicer than a 9! I know it’s a long way from a 10 but it’s just … nnnot t t t quite good enough for that 9.5. Thus the logic part … and the biggest reason we like “Intelligrade” is that with the 100 point grading scale that same card might get a 9.1 or 9.2 both of which are better than the nine and still back a ways from the 9.5 that is not offered by the 10 point scale and I know it doesn’t deserve from the 19 point scale. My hope is of course that it comes back a 9.4 on the broader scale … then I’m a happy puppy! So there you have it! Let’s say years from now that somewhere along the way an amazing thing happened and the trading card industry eventually got around to accepting the broad scale of grading … which card would be the most desirable, the 9 or the 9.4? Remember … it’s only logic and preference. Thanks for your time and I wish you all the best. Be smart and don’t buy anything you wouldn’t want for yourself … unless you don’t mind keeping it if you have to.

#372457 - 03/16/04 09:52 AM Re: MW1.... [Re: Basilone]
njdolphins
The Collectinator

Loc: Trimmed, Pressed, Power Erased

Do they grade Lionel trains as well? I see that there is a picture of one on their website next to the very interesting text that John was good enough to provide.

#372458 - 03/16/04 11:38 AM Re: MW1.... [Re: njdolphins]
MW1
veteran

Quote:

Do they grade Lionel trains as well? I see that there is a picture of one on their website next to the very interesting text that John was good enough to provide.

#372459 - 03/16/04 02:20 PM Re: MW1.... [Re: MW1]
Basilone

I was wondering that myself....what a lousy website.

#372460 - 03/16/04 02:22 PM Re: MW1.... [Re: Basilone]
Basilone

The following:

Quote:

This may be a rather silly analogy but I used to wear my pants a bit tight. Well … very tight! Now though, I like a scoche more room in my britches so it doesn’t hurt when I sit. It’s only a matter of preference and certainly based on logic.

should never be said in a sportscard related website.

#372461 - 03/16/04 05:45 PM Re: MW1.... [Re: Basilone]
aconte
Bid more or post more... tough one...

Loc: On The Beach....where else!

aconte

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  EARLSWORLD 
Hop to:
Who's Online
1 registered (K-Nole) and 7 anonymous users online.
Newest Members
abcdef863349, vwxyz{570399, nopqrs004715, tjf092071, jakerazzle1
1962 Registered Users

Generated in 0.026 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 16 queries. Zlib compression disabled.