Page 1 of 4 1234>
Topic Options
#380290 - 03/23/04 03:52 PM Future of SGC, opinions requested
64standup
Hobbyist

Loc: Portland, OR

It's natural to tout SGC on these boards and bash PSA, as it’s a common phenomenon for the chaser to throw rocks at the leader. Think of fast food companies comparing themselves to McDonalds, yet McDonalds rarely mentions their competitors. On the CU boards they don’t necessarily berate other grading companies, but certainly play up the PSA brand. For the most part it's affiliation pride, for many it's about the $ invested with their grading company of choice.

I genuinely prefer SGC for the holders, tougher grading standards, and customer minded employees. However, I'm concerned that SGC will be one of those great concept companies that will fall by the wayside. One reason is due to the higher price points that PSA cards realize, they assumed market position early and have remained there. Another is that Beckett has assumed a #2 (maybe #1) position with modern cards. And for unopened packs, you go to GAI. Since there's an overly inflated and ridiculous concern with high-grade cards (and SGC grades tougher than PSA), many flock to the latter.

I decided to have three “vintage” OPC sets graded by SGC (two have yet to appear on the Registry for adding.) But it’s getting difficult to complete/upgrade those sets because cards for sale are usually in PSA. When I try to cross, they usually don’t due to SGC’s tougher standards (that or they just don’t “get it” regarding old OPCs)

In sum, I haven’t seen SGC rise in popularity with the same fervor that GAI and Beckett did. When there’s a listing for an SGC graded card, the seller (including me) will usually justify SGCs toughness, it’s almost as if we’re saying, “No, really, these cards are just as good if not better than PSA.” When will SGC really catch fire? The only area where I see evidence of this is with Tobacco cards. Any thoughts before I sink more investment with this company?

"Oh, you hate your job? Why didn't you say so? There's a support group for that. It's called EVERYBODY, and they meet at the bar." - Drew Carey Seeking: pre-1977 OPC baseball and Venezuelan key cards...

#380291 - 03/23/04 04:52 PM Re: Future of SGC, opinions requested [Re: 64standup]
jackstraw
Talkative?

Loc: @ a Baseball Card Show

well you make some good points but i am w/ grillo on this smaller is better and thats what your going to get w/ sgc! if you are investing to sell on ebay then its a no brainer "go west young man" but if you collect to collect and enjoy this hobby then it shouldn't matter which holder its in.
i doubt that sgc is going to fall by the wayside and i see a company like gai doing that before sgc. i could be wrong psa could file chapter 11 tomorrow and guess what anybody thats got any cards there they are gone and the same goes for sgc,beckett and any other company in the world. i got screwed out of 5000 dollars from a law firm that filed chapter 11 and got nothing.

#380292 - 03/23/04 05:03 PM Re: Future of SGC, opinions requested [Re: jackstraw]
grilloj39
I am gonna miss that car.

Loc: San Antonio, TX

I do not feel it is my place to tell you where and how to invest your money; but, I agree, if your happy with SGC why even consider leaving? With exception of high grade common cards, SGC graded cards (stars and vintage tobacco) do well compared to PSA. The PSA registry has many "mesmorized". People shelving out big bucks for overgraded worthless commons IMO.

If your into set collecting, team set collecting, or player set collecting, I think these sets in SGC holders would do well if you choose to sell in the future.

But if your're not planning to sell your collection (at least for a while), who knows what the demand for graded cards will be 10 years from now.

#380293 - 03/23/04 05:16 PM Re: Future of SGC, opinions requested [Re: 64standup]
MW1
veteran

I think this will be SGC's year. Without question, they are a model of consistency in the sports card grading marketplace and their track record has shown that when they make an occasionally error, they make good on their guarantee.

I'm aware that SGC will be creating a new website to better serve collectors and I would continue to look for other positive enhancements that will help the company to grow.

#380294 - 03/23/04 05:27 PM Re: Future of SGC, opinions requested [Re: MW1]
jackstraw
Talkative?

Loc: @ a Baseball Card Show

Quote:

I think this will be SGC's year. Without question, they are a model of consistency in the sports card grading marketplace

my last submission aand all the "crack outs" that were 96's all 96ed again w/ the excepction of 1 so i would say they are consistent or i am real good at cracking out cards without damaging them or a little of both i am thinking about a how to video?

#380295 - 03/23/04 05:41 PM Re: Future of SGC, opinions requested [Re: jackstraw]
aconte
Bid more or post more... tough one...

Loc: On The Beach....where else!

I think they are doing a bang up job. Some of the best of gator's 81's now
reside in new holders. I haven't said to much about it because I have not
completed my team set. But I even showed them in Psa holders to Derek
Grady at the Fort show and he thought they were incredible and clean.
The crossover grades I received would suggest the same.

aconte

#380296 - 03/24/04 05:27 AM Re: Future of SGC, opinions requested [Re: jackstraw]
dbeman
Learning the Ropes

Quote:

if you are investing to sell on ebay then its a no brainer "go west young man" but if you collect to collect and enjoy this hobby then it shouldn't matter which holder its in.

I agree wholeheartedly. I'll restate a comment I posted in another thread that I think applies here as well.

There is a distinct difference in my mind between someone who "collects" and someone who "collects and sells". A collector/seller will, more than likey, go the grading company that he or she feels will provide the best return on their investment.

A collector, on the other hand, may choose to have a card encapsulated for preservation sake. This card may have some sort of sentimental value for the collector; like perhaps it was a card that he or she saved since childhood and was purchased at the first baseball game they attended. This person will more than likely weigh quality, value, and long term durability over resale value.

On a more personal note, I fall into the "collector" category and was recently exploring the various encapsulation services in the hopes of better perserving some cards that I've held onto since childhood.

I did wind up going with SGC; mostly because I like the look of their holders and because their current "modern special" allowed me to save quite a bit! I literally just send the cards out yesterday and already can't wait to get them back!

#380297 - 03/24/04 05:27 AM Re: Future of SGC, opinions requested [Re: aconte]
Basilone
If I just sell the car, I can up my bid...

Probably still a 3rd option behind PSA & GAI.

#380298 - 03/24/04 05:33 AM Re: Future of SGC, opinions requested [Re: Basilone]
Basilone
If I just sell the car, I can up my bid...

Quote:

There is a distinct difference in my mind between someone who "collects" and someone who "collects and sells".

The fact is most "collectors" will sell at some point. If they do not...their next of kin will probably do so...so wouldn't you want them to get the most money they can?

Why burden them with the hassle of crossing over to PSA before selling them off?

#380299 - 03/24/04 06:07 AM Re: Future of SGC, opinions requested [Re: Basilone]
aconte
Bid more or post more... tough one...

Loc: On The Beach....where else!

Quote:

Why burden them with the task of crossing over to PSA before selling them off?

John,

You may find this hard to believe but not all Psa cards sell the best. I know..
I know.. this is a shock for you but it is a fact. There are other options. And
cards do sell in other holders. Have you been to a show lately? There have
been a few more dealers carrying Sgc graded cards. Even Wayne Varmer
broke down a carries a couple. The world will come to end for sure if I see
Greg B. of Legacy selling any.

You obviously think Psa is perfect. Good for you. I wonder how many more
times the Rose thread will get deleted. Buckwheat's was the latest. I got
a bet for you. I'll bet you that if you start a 63 Rose Rookie thread looking
for answers that it won't last 3 days. I'll send you one of my overgraded Psa
red man's if it does for free.

Anyhow, if you believe I am annoyed by your comments you are correct.
I got no problem you stating your opinion on where Sgc ranks but when you
throw out the sarcasm on the Sgc boards I'll respond back. On the Psa boards
those comments are fine. There you can get your three or four - "Great
comments John!" "That was great!" or "How TRUE!!!" from guys like carew4you.
But here I'm going to fill you in that there is a world outside of Psa as the
greatest. Just ask the guys on the net54 board....

aconte

Page 1 of 4 1234>

Moderator:  EARLSWORLD 
Hop to:
Who's Online
0 registered and 8 anonymous users online.
Newest Members
klmnop450123, abcdef863349, vwxyz{570399, nopqrs004715, tjf092071
1963 Registered Users

Generated in 0.018 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression disabled.