Page 2 of 4 <1234>
Topic Options
#380300 - 03/24/04 06:13 AM Re: Future of SGC, opinions requested [Re: Basilone]
KLL
Hobbyist

Even if you are right and SGC is a third option, is it still has the best product. Biggest is not always the best (I do believe that SGC should market their product more- thus increasing their market share- this company is a great story)

MW mentioned the new web site. I think that is a positive move for SGC. And the purchase of Superior by Greg Manning should increase SGC's exposure with far greater offerings of SGC graded cards in future auctions.

#380301 - 03/24/04 06:39 AM Re: Future of SGC, opinions requested [Re: KLL]
Basilone
If I just sell the car, I can up my bid...

Aconte-

Jeez...just yesterday you said I had a great post on the PSA Boards!

Why such the change of heart?

Of course SGC cards sell...just for not as much (most of the time).

If you ever want to "dump" an overgraded PSA Redman my way...I would be more than willing to take it.

In regards to shows.....Im sure those SGC cards were moving all day long. We all know that shows are THE PLACE to buy graded cards.....you get the best value there. (cough)

Im looking at my Superior Catalog...and I do not see any SGC cards...whats up with that?

John

#380302 - 03/24/04 06:42 AM Re: Future of SGC, opinions requested [Re: Basilone]
Basilone

Correction:

Lots 220 & 239 have some graded SGC cards.

Aconte-at least you can recognize my sarcasm .....just do not get too upset.

ok?

#380303 - 03/24/04 06:56 AM Re: Future of SGC, opinions requested [Re: Basilone]
aconte
Bid more or post more... tough one...

Loc: On The Beach....where else!

Quote:

Aconte-at least you can recognize my sarcasm .....just do not get too upset.

ok?

Allright... Sorry! Just keep your boy carew in line.

I actually picked up a 58 Sgc 86 A.S. Frank Robinson for $20. Great deal
I think. It was a lot under the Psa 7 price. And I know what you are thinking...
But before you say it the same guy sold about 20-30 Psa 7 and 8 50's Bowman
football at 50% of Smr. He also blew out some 74 Topps graded by Psa
and Gai for crumbs. I hurried up and grabbed the Robby. He sold a Gil
Hodges 56 Sgc 84 cheap too. He was just blowing stuff out. It was mayhem at
the table. The only other thing I remember was that someone needed
a shower bad at that table. That is not an exaggeration.

aconte

#380304 - 03/24/04 07:01 AM Re: Future of SGC, opinions requested [Re: aconte]
Basilone

Hmm..I wonder who needed a shower....

Glad you picked up so good deals at the show. FYI...I do not believe I have ever spoken with Carew privately.

#380305 - 03/24/04 09:00 AM Re: Future of SGC, opinions requested [Re: Basilone]
vayank
The Amazing Card-Man

Loc: Alexandria, Va

SGC is a great company, focused on serving the collector. SGC also provides a great opportunity for high end vintage guys like MW1, and pre-war collectors and dealers of all stripes.

If I were a PSA head, I would not churtle about GAI. I would venture to guess that the company run by former high profile PSA execs takes the lion share of their business from their former client base.

#380306 - 03/24/04 10:23 AM Re: Future of SGC, opinions requested [Re: vayank]
64standup
Hobbyist

Loc: Portland, OR

I knew I would receive some insightful, thought-provoking comments from this board. Many good points, especially Dbeman's "collects" and someone who "collects and sells." From that standpoint, my decision becomes clearer.

I'm sometimes amazed (often amused) by this board's negative comments about PSA or the people who use/support it. Sometimes it's just tongue and cheek, sometimes not. Remember, when it gets too heated...easy does it, it's a hobby. I'm also at fault, because my temp seems to rise when I see long discussions and crazy bidding around high-grade modern cards. A "PSA 10 1986 Topps…": big deal, it's only 18 years ago and zillions were produced. On the one hand, I enjoy what I consider to be more difficult to find issues and there's little competition, no paying $800 for a 1971 Jim Longborg PSA 8 here. On the other, it's the card industry's misconception of what's valuable. There's a small gang of us vintage OPC and Venezuelan collectors who clamor that our cards don't receive the proper attention. But I guess what's worse is if everyone jumped on the bandwagon. A somewhat related example: a 1964 Venezuelan Kaline PSA 8 sold for over $800, but the Bench PSA 4 from the much tougher 1968 year, sold for $100. 1959 Mantle in PSA 2 - one of the Venezuelan Holy Grail cards - $350.) Again, value was placed on the holder.

The breath of knowledge of "vintage" cards is certainly better on this site. In regard to how bad PSA grades, remember, that given the sheer volume of cards graded by any company, probability suggests that errors are bound to happen. And after I started using a 10x magnifier, I now better see why some cards grade as they do.

In sum, SGC is the preferred collector grader of choice.
"Oh, you hate your job? Why didn't you say so? There's a support group for that. It's called EVERYBODY, and they meet at the bar." - Drew Carey Seeking: pre-1977 OPC baseball and Venezuelan key cards...

#380307 - 03/24/04 12:35 PM Re: Future of SGC, opinions requested [Re: vayank]
Davalillo1
Collector is an understatement.

"I would venture to guess that the company run by former high profile PSA executives takes the lions share of the business from their former client base"--Va Yank

I would make that bet as well for a number of reasons. Why?

1)First and foremost, the number of serious collectors and major dealers who are angry at PSA and in particular Joe Orlando continues to grow. Just this week I spoke to two of the best known dealers in the business who for different reasons but what I would call it inconsistent grading and arrogant response by the PSA Prez are beside themselves and resolving to give more of the business to others. Every time I go to a show, as a proportion of total graded cards I see more GAI and SGC cards.
On the other hand, Rocchi/Baker/Fisher of GAI are very personable who have been the face of PSA for years--people want to do business with these guys. I am scheduled to meet SGC management/graders soon and maybe I will feel just as good about them--we'll see. I would represent that many major collectors are now feeling the same way.

2)Consistency of grading. Mike Baker is widely thought of as the best grader in the business. The SGC folks are also highly thought of. With PSA, they have lost or let go experienced graders and it has been reported that in most cases that only one grader looks at a card before it is slabbed with the other person a verifier who looks at the card post-slabbing. Are we really supposed to believe that many cards actually are taken out of their slabs after a verifier looks at them.

3)Lets see what happens after GAI issues the registry and after their dealer meeting in Mexico. It has been long delayed but this could be something which accelerates the shift to GAI.

4)Baker/Rocchi are owners and have a huge vested interest in GAI's success. Joe Orlando is an employee.

People want to do business with people they like--its simple. I am much more inclined to do business with a dealer if I like him personally, everything else being roughly equal. With everything else becoming "equaller" every day, this will become an increasingly important issue. Yes--there is something called customer service.

Davalillo

#380308 - 03/24/04 02:51 PM Re: Future of SGC, opinions requested [Re: Davalillo1]
grilloj39
I am gonna miss that car.

Loc: San Antonio, TX

Dav...I just wanted to add about the GAI registry is that last time I spoke with Mike, the GAI registry was going to be unique in that a "no strings" registry would exist. What I mean is that any percentage of SGC and/or PSA (obviously including GAI) could be added. For example, SGC collectors could add their entire SGC sets to the GAI registry if they wish.

I do not know if this will be the final decision on Mike's and Steve's part, but as a minimum, I am almost sure a certain percentage of PSA/SGC cards in a GAI set will be able to be added. This works great for people like me who have mixed graded (but primarily GAI) sets, like my partial 59 topps baseball. Did you hear from same as well?

Edited by grilloj39 (03/24/04 02:54 PM)

#380309 - 03/24/04 03:14 PM Re: Future of SGC, opinions requested [Re: grilloj39]
estang
(S)uper Collector

Grillo,

That is a very insightful tidbit on the GAI registry plans to allow for "registration" of another company's holder. I'm keen to understand if there's an authentication of that serial number by the other company or not? I'd surmise not, but want to confirm your detailed understanding thus far.

Even if it is not, it is a good marketing and business decision by GAI to allow this and I think it would be good for SGC to follow it, as a way to further enhance their registry "market share".

The other insightful tidbit was by MW1 about an expected SGC web re-launch / re-design. It is overdue and if positioned properly, could be the catalyst for the launch of a larger scale marketing plan.

Erik

Page 2 of 4 <1234>

Moderator:  EARLSWORLD 
Hop to:
Who's Online
0 registered and 2 anonymous users online.
Newest Members
abcdef863349, vwxyz{570399, nopqrs004715, tjf092071, jakerazzle1
1962 Registered Users

Generated in 0.018 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression disabled.