Page 3 of 4 <1234>
Topic Options
#380310 - 03/24/04 03:38 PM Re: Future of SGC, opinions requested [Re: estang]
grilloj39
I am gonna miss that car.

Loc: San Antonio, TX

estang...I am not sure of the details, nor if this is going to be the final decision on GAI's part...but I agree that it is a good marketing decision on their part. I am also interested (and would be pleased) if SGC would follow suit. Personally, I like the SGC website, I do not see where they need to make any changes to it, but that's must my take on it.

#380311 - 03/24/04 06:02 PM Re: Future of SGC, opinions requested [Re: grilloj39]
64standup
Hobbyist

Loc: Portland, OR

A universal set registry would be great. Nothing worse than having a number cards of a set graded by one company, then finding a high-grade example from another. I'd like to see a nice little oligarchy between SGC, PSA and GAI. I too enjoy the SGC Registry, but it takes a very long time to add a set to the registry.
"Oh, you hate your job? Why didn't you say so? There's a support group for that. It's called EVERYBODY, and they meet at the bar." - Drew Carey Seeking: pre-1977 OPC baseball and Venezuelan key cards...

#380312 - 03/24/04 06:31 PM Re: Future of SGC, opinions requested [Re: grilloj39]
Davalillo1
Collector is an understatement.

grilloj39,

My understanding is that you will be able to imput any and all sets into the registry. For example, I could imput all my psa sets. There is a limited number of sets they will offer in the beginning. I presume you can also imput sgc cards but am not sure if it will accept other cards other than the big three.

Dav

#380313 - 03/24/04 07:16 PM Re: Future of SGC, opinions requested [Re: Davalillo1]
vayank
The Amazing Card-Man

Loc: Alexandria, Va

I have been told the same thing -- the site will be re-done. Some other exciting things are on tap, but I do not want to speak out of turn.

The SGC site is good as is, but so much more can be done. The pop report could be juiced up and more user friendly. The price guide needs to be kept current. Links to all SGC auctions on eBay or other auction sites. Dealer profiles. Collector profiles. Put a face on the SGC community.

I do not see how GA could do cert verification without having an agreement with SGC. They would have to tie into the SGC database, otherwise you would be depending on the honor system even if you have them enter the cert number.

Edited by vayank (03/24/04 07:20 PM)

#380314 - 03/24/04 10:42 PM Re: Future of SGC, opinions requested [Re: vayank]
MW1
veteran

Quote:

I do not see how GA could do cert verification without having an agreement with SGC. They would have to tie into the SGC database, otherwise you would be depending on the honor system even if you have them enter the cert number.

I also see this as a potential stumbling block to having a "universal" set registry.

#380315 - 03/25/04 08:47 AM Re: Future of SGC, opinions requested [Re: vayank]
Davalillo1
Collector is an understatement.

Getting back to my main point earlier--PSA's horrific customer service--I urge all of you to read my friend David Vargha's post today on the PSA Set Registry message board(that is if it isn't taken down). PSA had no more loyal customer than David--just read about how he has been treated by PSA.

If you are in the customer service business, you just cannot keep treating your customers with disdain or soon they will be ex-customers.

Davalillo

#380316 - 03/25/04 09:30 AM Re: Future of SGC, opinions requested [Re: Davalillo1]
njdolphins
The Collectinator

Loc: Trimmed, Pressed, Power Erased

In the event the thread gets pulled, here are David Vargha's comments:

Thursday March 25, 2004 7:44 AM

As promised, here is the result of two cards that I personally turned into PSA at the Hollywood Park show on February 7. The cards are both 1975 Topps "PSA 9's". They are #21 Rollie Fingers (30576111) and #644 Bill Fahey (11387596). Both of them have obvious stains on the front. Fahey's is a 1/8" square stain right by his head that looks like gum or adhesive. The Fingers card has a very noticEAble 1/8" thin, black "glob" on the right border. Under magnification, the three dimensionality of the stains is quite obvious and it is equally apparent that it was not a part of the original printing process.

I met Matt from PSA at the show and explained to him that I had purchased both of them in separate transactions on eBay. He looked at the cards and agreed that there was an error. He wrote me up a Submission form (#4140546 -- Zip Code 91303) and said that he was personally in charge of reviews like this. Nineteen days later, on February 26, I spoke with "Alisha" on the phone. She said that she didn't know why the submission form didn't show up in the database. She informed me that someone would get back to me no later than the next day.

A week passed without a return phone call. When I called back in the first week of March, I was told that Matt was the only one who could answer my questions but that he was not available, so a message would be left for him. When I failed to receive a call from him in over a week, I asked for his direct extension (x-150) and left him voice mail messages on three separate occasions. Not once did he return my call. It was last week on this board on the SPORTS CARDS & MEMORABILIA FORUM that I predicted that PSA would end up sending me back my cards with no explanation and no changes.

Sure enough, on March 24, the cards arrived back in their original holders without even a Post-It note saying, "You're screwed, buddy!" I've been a big supporter of PSA over the years and I still think that they are currently the best thing out there for graded cards, but this is a bunch of [!@#%^&^]! The total "value" of the cards (if in the correct condition) is only about $170. PSA has created far more ill will with me than they could have imagined. Perhaps Joe Orlando needs to spend more time making sure that his company provides good customer service, since that is all PSA has to offer -- a service.

I don't expect this thread to last long, so I am saving it on a Word doc. If anyone wants a copy after it gets pulled, you can e-mail me. If this thread is the final straw for CU and me, then so be it. If my posting privileges get revoked, then I want to take the time now to thank all of the board members here for the fun and shared information. Best wishes to all of you.

David

#380317 - 03/25/04 05:43 PM Re: Future of SGC, opinions requested [Re: Davalillo1]
jdalymgd
Just got here

I finally have fixed this so I can post now and I guess I will chime in. I am new by the way and I am interested in T206 and T213 cards. I have both of my sets in the registry if you want to take a look to see if there is anything you may have that I might want to buy. Anyhow grading is a service business more than anything else and there are a few observations I have between SGC and PSA from my own experiences when I was deciding who to use and what I have seen now.

1. I emailed a few questions to SGC and PSA about there services, prices etc.I got a response the next day from SGC and from PSA I got nothing until a couple weeks later.

2. When I submit cards to SGC they have always been checked in the day they are signed for at the post office. From what I see across the street in can be a few weeks. If you are that backed up have a few people put down the donuts and get moving.

3. This is what is most disturbing to me. Everytime an issue is posted on the PSA message boards by their own consumers it seems that all are disgruntled, revengeful, or have an agenda of there own. After awhile one would have to assume if it smells like a duck, quacks like a duck, and looks like a duck...It is a duck. Some complaints have to be legitimate. Everyone can't be disgruntled.

4. Being the largest by volume does not necessarily mean you are the best. A lawyer who sees more clients than anyone but loses all his cases is not the best in the business because he has the biggest case load.

Just my two cents. I hope a bullet proof vest is not needed to read any responses. and remember I will happily take those T213 off your hands.

Paul

#380318 - 03/25/04 06:19 PM Re: Future of SGC, opinions requested [Re: jdalymgd]
grilloj39
I am gonna miss that car.

Loc: San Antonio, TX

Welcome Paul...I echo your thoughts. I was one of those "disgruntled" former PSA customers who switched to a different grader.

As a non-selling, collector-only, the only agenda I have at this point is to lower my golf score. btw: I collect vintage hockey and boxing cards. My only "modern" sets I am working on (albeit slowly) is a 1971 topps hockey and 1959 topps baseball.

I am a big John Daly fan.

#380319 - 03/26/04 10:39 AM Re: Future of SGC, opinions requested [Re: grilloj39]
64standup
Hobbyist

Loc: Portland, OR

There's currently an interesting post on the CU board, "To Joe Orlando", that speaks to this very subject that I started on this thread. It was interesting to read PSA regulars bashing their own preferred brand.

I hope each of the big four further strengthens their specialty, e.g., GAI for packs, SGC for pre-WWII, BVG for modern, PSA for ? It's selfish, but I'd like to see SGC exit the modern card market, which would increase their reputation on what they do grade. In terms of CU, they are probably simply divesting right now - SMR, Superior Sports, because their core business is starting to suffer.
"Oh, you hate your job? Why didn't you say so? There's a support group for that. It's called EVERYBODY, and they meet at the bar." - Drew Carey Seeking: pre-1977 OPC baseball and Venezuelan key cards...

Page 3 of 4 <1234>

Moderator:  EARLSWORLD 
Hop to:
Who's Online
0 registered and 7 anonymous users online.
Newest Members
klmnop450123, abcdef863349, vwxyz{570399, nopqrs004715, tjf092071
1963 Registered Users

Generated in 0.018 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression disabled.