Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#383854 - 03/28/04 07:18 AM PSA Registry: PSA's biggest friend and worst enemy
grilloj39
I am gonna miss that car.

Loc: San Antonio, TX

Live by the sword, die by the sword. I truly believe the registry is what is truly keeping PSA going at this point. I feel rest assured, it is not the accurate grading or the superb customer service they provide. But many PSA collectors feel the need to finish their registry sets or have invested almost as much money in grading fees versus the amount they have spent on the cards themselves. With so many sets in the registry, PSA is at the point where it is stuck with it's outdated and inaccurate grading scale.

PSA execs know the half-point grading scale is more accurate...they have floated the idea of adopting the half-point scale on numerous occasions. Just think how many registry members would react to the 1/2 point scale. Yes, PSA is stuck with this inaccurate grading scale, due to circumstances beyond its control.

#383855 - 03/28/04 09:47 AM Re: PSA Registry: PSA's biggest friend and worst enemy [Re: grilloj39]
jackstraw
Talkative?

Loc: @ a Baseball Card Show

I don't see the difference in a collector crossing his cards to company that uses the .5 scale vs looking through your cards (which to me would be hours of enjoyment)to find the ones you think would be bumped up a .5 grade and in some cases maybe a whole grade?maybe somebody can help me understand this?
i think psa will survive this glitch and i for one hope they do. just remember that not everyone that collects baseball cards thinks of the return on their investmant!some do this for pure enjoyment sort of like playing 18 holes,shooting skeet,hunting,detailing their cars,bird watching,playing rec. softball,going to a hockey game and probably none of the above think of any return on their enjoyment! like i said at the end of the day i will still collect cards and if gai is my only option i will go back to the medievil 9 pocket page

#383856 - 03/28/04 03:48 PM Re: PSA Registry: PSA's biggest friend and worst enemy [Re: grilloj39]
srs1a
Old, dense-headed hammers are cool. Best nail pounders.

Loc: NY

I think that the half grade issue is a bit slippery for PSA. Yes, both SGC and GAI offer it and both of these companies (as far as I can tell) operate a bit differently than PSA. The customer service issues are well documented. The other side of the coin is the relative volume of cards that the 3 companies grade. I think that an extraordinarily conservative estimate would be that PSA does at least 3-5X the volume of the other companies. So, could PSA actually implement a 0.5 grade scale with acceptable accuracy?

There was an excellent post on the CU board on the issue of accuracy -vs precision. Yes, a half point system is more precise...but can it be implemented with acceptable accuracy? Given the issues with PSA's grading accuracy with a full point system, do you really believe that they could deal with half points?

I believe that SGC has checks and balances in place so that they can support the half grade system...and it appears that GAI also has these in place (no knock on GAI here...but, I have no personal experience with them)...and part of this is most likely associated with their volumes.

My 2 cents

#383857 - 03/28/04 04:24 PM Re: PSA Registry: PSA's biggest friend and worst enemy [Re: jackstraw]
deadlyembrace
The Venus Card Trap

Loc: Austin, TX

Quote:

I don't see the difference in a collector crossing his cards to company that uses the .5 scale vs looking through your cards (which to me would be hours of enjoyment)to find the ones you think would be bumped up a .5 grade and in some cases maybe a whole grade? maybe somebody can help me understand this?

Getting a bump up is not the issue. As someone on these boards used to say, "not all 9's are created equal."

Now, extrapolate that line of thinking all along the grading scale wherever you want to insert a half-grade. It's the low-end 9's, 8's, 7's etc. that are likely to lose ground if/when crossed to an accurately implemented grading scale that contains half-grades.

#383858 - 03/28/04 04:36 PM Re: PSA Registry: PSA's biggest friend and worst enemy [Re: deadlyembrace]
jackstraw
Talkative?

Loc: @ a Baseball Card Show

d-emb
nice to hear from you. whats new in the 62 or 69 world?

#383859 - 03/29/04 02:05 AM Re: PSA Registry: PSA's biggest friend and worst enemy [Re: jackstraw]
deadlyembrace
The Venus Card Trap

Loc: Austin, TX

Absolutely nada.
#383860 - 03/31/04 04:50 PM Re: PSA Registry: PSA's biggest friend and worst enemy [Re: deadlyembrace]
maris1961
Just got here

I think PSA would have difficulty defining .5 cards because of their qualifying system. Would a PSA 9 oc become a straight PSA 8.5?
#383861 - 04/01/04 04:36 PM Re: PSA Registry: PSA's biggest friend and worst enemy [Re: maris1961]
beefman
Just got here

I am looking forward to the Global Registry. I am eager to see what is in store for SGC in the very near future.

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  EARLSWORLD 
Hop to:
Who's Online
0 registered and 7 anonymous users online.
Newest Members
klmnop450123, abcdef863349, vwxyz{570399, nopqrs004715, tjf092071
1963 Registered Users

Generated in 0.016 seconds in which 0 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression disabled.