Page all of 7 12345>Last »
Topic Options
#385320 - 03/29/04 11:21 AM Congrats to SGC and to Dave Forman
Davalillo1
Collector is an understatement.

I have known Dave for 12 years and think very highly of him. Getting someone like Dave as part owner and actively involved in providing direction can only mean good things for SGC!!!!
I look forward to visiting SGC's operations next week and learning more about the company.

Dav

#385321 - 03/29/04 12:40 PM Re: Congrats to SGC and to Dave Forman [Re: Davalillo1]
Basilone
If I just sell the car, I can up my bid...

Can any of the people "in the know" provide us with some information in regards to what is going on.

Thanks,

John

#385322 - 03/29/04 01:03 PM Re: Congrats to SGC and to Dave Forman [Re: Basilone]
Davalillo1

Dave just joined SGC--and took an ownership stake.
#385323 - 03/29/04 01:11 PM Re: Congrats to SGC and to Dave Forman [Re: Basilone]
vayank
The Amazing Card-Man

Loc: Alexandria, Va

John >

I did not feel it was my place to comment but since Dav has spilled the beans, here is what I know:

Dan Forsman is (or should be) now the owner of SGC. When I found out, the paperwork was not final. I did not ask if he was to own 100%, but it was clear he was acquiring a controlling interest -- not a minority part owner.

As I understand it, Dan was one of the early and big submitters to PSA. He eventually decided to shift his business to SGC. This going back years probably during the Baker/Rochi days though I did not specifically ask that. As I understand it, Dan is well known and widely respected on the hobby.

The previous owners were also NGC owners. NGC and SGC are separate corporate entities, but the owners held a controlling ownership interest in both.

Forsman will be officed in New Jersey and will be a full time leader, working shows and the like. Over time and in a reasonsble manner, he will be selling off all or part of his collection, which has a goodly number of PSA cards from back in the day. Concerns about a conflict of interest will prevent a SGC crossover.

With an experienced card guy at the helm and taking a full time interest, changes will be forthcoming such as the improved web site and many other things.

I apologize in advance if anything turns out not to be true. But this is how I understand it to be. Once Dav made his post, I thought I should follow up with what I know.

Edited by vayank (03/29/04 01:12 PM)

#385324 - 03/29/04 01:37 PM Re: Congrats to SGC and to Dave Forman [Re: vayank]
srs1a
Old, dense-headed hammers are cool. Best nail pounders.

Loc: NY

Looks like KLL's crystal ball is operating pretty well.

new boss?

#385325 - 03/29/04 01:45 PM Re: Congrats to SGC and to Dave Forman [Re: vayank]
Davalillo1

Vayank,

Ugh! Dave(not Dan) Forman(not Forsman). I think Dan Forsman is a pga golfer.

Dave is one of the most recognized national dealers by serious vintage collectors. He actually started with Gerry Schwartz and has done auctions early on with Gerry and Gary Moser. For many years he has been on his own. I remember when Dave and Gerry Schwartz walked into my office 12 years ago and sold me a large number of prewar 8s, 9s and 10s. I remember debating with him the difference between psa 9 and 10 and why should I have to pay a premium for a 10. This was early days for psa. I may have paid a small premium at the end. The difference was pretty small as well between a psa 8 and 9. I would guess Dave was a teenager at this time.

I do not believe it is accurate to say that Dave shifted his business to SGC. He may submit to SGC but I would be surprised if he did not summit primarily to PSA.

Regardless, as I said I have known Dave a long time and believe he will add materially to the strength of the company.

Dav

#385326 - 03/29/04 03:10 PM Re: Congrats to SGC and to Dave Forman [Re: Davalillo1]
SeanSGC
Everything SGC

Loc: NJ

Hello All,

We will be making an official announcement in the next few days concerning SGC's ownership and future plans. While it is true that Dave Forman has joined SGC, I do want to note that some of the information that has been posted is not totally accurate. Once we have made our announcement, we will be happy to field any questions that our board members have. We will speak to you soon.

Regards,

Sean Skeffington
VP of Operations

#385327 - 03/29/04 03:43 PM Re: Congrats to SGC and to Dave Forman [Re: SeanSGC]
Davalillo1

To all,

Just a note of clarification. I thought it would be obvious that this would be Dave's full-time job and would not be a dealer anymore...but in case there is any confusion this is what it is.

Jim

#385328 - 03/29/04 04:38 PM Re: Congrats to SGC and to Dave Forman [Re: SeanSGC]
aconte
Bid more or post more... tough one...

Loc: On The Beach....where else!

Thanks for the response Sean.

aconte

#385329 - 03/29/04 04:45 PM ... [Re: aconte]
MW1
veteran

#385330 - 03/29/04 04:53 PM Re: Congrats to SGC and to Dave Forman [Re: MW1]
jackstraw
Talkative?

Loc: @ a Baseball Card Show

sounds like a good deal to me! i already have a call into him about changing to silver flips

#385331 - 03/29/04 06:43 PM Re: Congrats to SGC and to Dave Forman [Re: jackstraw]
vayank
The Amazing Card-Man

Hey at least i didn't call him Tiger Woods.... By all means Sean please share with us how this turned out.

#385332 - 03/29/04 07:29 PM Re: Congrats to SGC and to Dave Forman [Re: vayank]
KLL
Hobbyist

Short term this should be very positive for SGC. Along with Manning's purchase of Superior, SGC exposure should be far greater in the auction business. I can't help think that Dave will attempt to attract dealers like Triple SSS, Craig Rohering and other established PSA type dealers into the SGC family. This is great news indeed!

Long term looks good.

#385333 - 03/30/04 09:01 AM Re: Congrats to SGC and to Dave Forman [Re: KLL]
runscott
Just got here

Loc: Georgia...for now

I don't know anything about Dave, but several collectors I have a great deal of respect for have said great things about him, so as someone who only submits cards to SGC and would love to see a few of the kinks worked out, I'm very excited about this.

I have to admit, the mentioning of "Gary Moser" by a previous poster gives me the willies, but hopefully that was one of the mistakes Sean was alluding to in his post.

#385334 - 03/30/04 09:11 AM Re: Congrats to SGC and to Dave Forman [Re: runscott]
Davalillo1

Runscott,

Gary Moser not a mistake but that was many years ago. Gary and Dave have gone in different directions in the hobby.

Dav

#385335 - 03/30/04 10:42 AM Re: Congrats to SGC and to Dave Forman [Re: Davalillo1]
estang
(S)uper Collector

Sean,

Thanks for the note. Looking forward to reading your press release in the coming weeks on the subject.

The buzz around this is good, and as a customer I like to hear that.

Erik

#385336 - 03/30/04 11:21 AM Re: Congrats to SGC and to Dave Forman [Re: KLL]
toothpick2
Learning the Ropes

I get a warm fuzzy feeling when I think about SGC graded cards knowing that Gary Moser, Gerry Schwartz, Craig Roehrig, Triple sSs and BOTN will be submitting cards to SGC.

One question: Will SGC continue to have a buyback program?

#385337 - 03/30/04 12:48 PM Re: Congrats to SGC and to Dave Forman [Re: toothpick2]
njdolphins
The Collectinator

Loc: Trimmed, Pressed, Power Erased

TROLLpick

Please do us all a favor and stop taking potshots at boardmembers. Have you even purchased a card from BOTN before that you could question whether or not his cards are legitimate?

#385338 - 03/30/04 01:06 PM Re: Congrats to SGC and to Dave Forman [Re: njdolphins]
grilloj39
I am gonna miss that car.

Loc: San Antonio, TX

It is always nice to see a "fellow collector" step up and provide leadership to an already reputable and sound grading company like SGC. SGC has so much potential as far as publicity and marketing are concerned. I wish Dave and SGC the best.

MW1/BOTN are some of the best dealers in the business and it's great to have their presence on this board. I think we can live without the unwarranted wisecracks.

#385339 - 03/30/04 01:40 PM Re: Congrats to SGC and to Dave Forman [Re: toothpick2]
SeanSGC
Everything SGC

Toothpick2,

I usually do not respond to board members who, for some reason, do not reveal their true identity. However, since your question is legitimate I will answer it. Yes SGC will continue its buy back policy. In fact, I believe SGC is still the only grading company that has a written guarantee that covers every card we grade. Thank you for your question.

Regards,
Sean Skeffington

#385340 - 03/30/04 01:48 PM Re: Congrats to SGC and to Dave Forman [Re: SeanSGC]
Davalillo1

Sean,

Even though I don't know you, you just took a big jump up in my book with your response to that question.

Dav

#385341 - 03/30/04 03:22 PM Re: Congrats to SGC and to Dave Forman [Re: Davalillo1]
botn

Loc: Santa Monica, CA

Thanks guys. Mistakes are quickly taken off of the market. I wish that they would implement that same procedures with respect to Toothpick.

SGC stands behind the cards they grade. I just had a situation occur with respect to an E95 Cobb and SGC made no excuses about it. I was very pleased that they take that much pride in their name. It should be reassuring to the public. Dave Froman was involved in making that decision, by the way.

I hope that Forman will be a positive move for SGC and the hobby. I wish SGC and him the best.

Greg

#385342 - 03/30/04 03:34 PM ... [Re: botn]
MW1
veteran

#385343 - 03/30/04 04:07 PM Re: Congrats to SGC and to Dave Forman [Re: MW1]
botn

Mike,

Dave had offered to buy the card back without hesitation. I agree that the disparity between SGC and PSA is quite obvious.

Greg

#385344 - 03/30/04 04:25 PM Re: Congrats to SGC and to Dave Forman [Re: botn]
Davalillo1

Very very impressive. And I would not have to put up with the president calling me a lowlife or a pos.
For those interested in this story, e-mail me privately.

Dav

#385345 - 03/30/04 04:31 PM Re: Congrats to SGC and to Dave Forman [Re: Davalillo1]
grilloj39

That's great news about SGC...nothing wrong with making mistakes from time to time, it's how their handled that's important. I have no agenda here (I already have a grading company I submit to), but anyone considering either PSA or SGC to grade their cards should take note. Compare Mr Orlando's handling of the situations with Frank, Vargha and others, versus SGCs handling of the Cobb issue.

#385346 - 03/31/04 08:02 AM Re: Congrats to SGC and to Dave Forman [Re: Davalillo1]
Sean_C
Hobbyist

Are Dave and Gary Moser still friends, business partners, associates, etc?

Quote:

Vayank,

Ugh! Dave(not Dan) Forman(not Forsman). I think Dan Forsman is a pga golfer.

Dave is one of the most recognized national dealers by serious vintage collectors. He actually started with Gerry Schwartz and has done auctions early on with Gerry and Gary Moser. For many years he has been on his own. I remember when Dave and Gerry Schwartz walked into my office 12 years ago and sold me a large number of prewar 8s, 9s and 10s. I remember debating with him the difference between psa 9 and 10 and why should I have to pay a premium for a 10. This was early days for psa. I may have paid a small premium at the end. The difference was pretty small as well between a psa 8 and 9. I would guess Dave was a teenager at this time.

I do not believe it is accurate to say that Dave shifted his business to SGC. He may submit to SGC but I would be surprised if he did not summit primarily to PSA.

Regardless, as I said I have known Dave a long time and believe he will add materially to the strength of the company.

Dav

#385347 - 03/31/04 08:33 AM Question for the more learned members of the board [Re: grilloj39]
srs1a

Guys,

In the short time this thread had been up, all four of the names that MW1 posted / reposted / reposted 'til he got booted have been associated with Mr. Forman (at least I believe that it is all four...but perhaps it is just 3 of them) I know nothing about Mr Forman, but I know plenty about 3 of the 4 other names.

Any words of wisdom here?

Scott

#385348 - 03/31/04 10:54 AM Re: Question for the more learned members of the board [Re: srs1a]
botn

Scott,

Interesting point but Mike seems to be very excited and supportive of Dave's coming on board.

Greg

#385349 - 03/31/04 11:53 AM Re: Congrats to SGC and to Dave Forman [Re: Sean_C]
SeanSGC
Everything SGC

SeanC and everyone else,

Some of these posts remind me of that childhood game "Telephone", where factual information takes many detours. Such is the nature of message boards in general. Anyway, Dave Forman is not now or ever been business partners with Gary Moser. In an earlier post, Davalillo (Jim Crandall) mentioned that he first met Dave Forman 11 years ago (1993) and that Gary Moser and Dave Forman ran the first exclusive PSA auction. That was the first and only auction that they ran together. Somehow this has been translated by some individuals into a connection between Dave Forman, Gary Moser and SGC. It is just not the case. Again that was 11 years ago. Since that time Dave Forman has been in business for himself and for a brief period was involved at Teletrade. He no longer has any involvement with Teletrade either. Dave Forman has purchased a majority share of SGC. The balance of the shares of SGC are owned by some of the original owners of SGC who are involved in the rare coin business. I hope this clears up some of the inaccurate statements that have been made on this board as well as some of the other boards (CU and Network54). As an employee of SGC since day 1 in 1998, I personally have never met or seen Gary Moser in my lifetime. Thanks for your time.

Regards,
Sean Skeffington

#385350 - 03/31/04 11:59 AM Re: Congrats to SGC and to Dave Forman [Re: SeanSGC]
Sean_C
Hobbyist

Thanks for the answer, Sean!

Quote:

SeanC and everyone else,

Some of these posts remind me of that childhood game "Telephone", where factual information takes many detours. Such is the nature of message boards in general. Anyway, Dave Forman is not now or ever been business partners with Gary Moser. In an earlier post, Davalillo (Jim Crandall) mentioned that he first met Dave Forman 11 years ago (1993) and that Gary Moser and Dave Forman ran the first exclusive PSA auction. That was the first and only auction that they ran together. Some how this has been translated by some individuals into a connection between Dave Forman, Gary Moser and SGC. It is just not the case. Again that was 11 years ago. Since that time Dave Forman has been in business for himself and for a brief period was involved at Teletrade. He no longer has any involvement with Teletrade either. Dave Forman has purchased a majority share of SGC. The balance of the shares of SGC are owned by some of the original owners of SGC who are involved in the rare coin business. I hope this clears up some of the inaccuare statements that have been made on this board as well as some of the other boards (CU and Network54). As an employee of SGC since day 1 in 1998, I personally have never met or seen Gary Moser in my lifetime. Thanks for your time.

Regards,
Sean Skeffington

#385351 - 03/31/04 12:00 PM Re: Congrats to SGC and to Dave Forman *DELETED* [Re: SeanSGC]
MW1
veteran

#385352 - 03/31/04 03:17 PM Re: Congrats to SGC and to Dave Forman [Re: MW1]
jackstraw
Talkative?

Loc: @ a Baseball Card Show

thanks sean,
is dave going to be involved in the daily activities or is he going to lay low?are there any changes that are going to take place or talked about?thanks in advance.

#385353 - 03/31/04 06:11 PM Re: Congrats to SGC and to Dave Forman [Re: jackstraw]
vayank
The Amazing Card-Man

I hope Dave will introduce himself on the Boards soon!

#385354 - 03/31/04 06:47 PM Re: Congrats to SGC and to Dave Forman [Re: vayank]
Davalillo1

In regards to the lengthy thread on the Collectors Universe boards, I do not believe what one of the trolls(Bingo who has attacked me in the past)says about Dave.I will not dignify his accusation by repeating it. While not passing judgment on Gary or Gerry, just because Dave did an auction with them 10 years ago and may be friendly with them today does not taint him in any way.
I think Dave is a guy of good character and knows lots about cards. I think he will prove to be a good hire and an excellent leader of SGC.

Jim Crandell

#385355 - 03/31/04 07:44 PM Re: Congrats to SGC and to Dave Forman [Re: Davalillo1]
Vargha
Just got here

Loc: Yeah . . . whatever

Jim- I've been told our two faced friend Greg is posting as Bingo. Email or call for details.
#385356 - 03/31/04 09:31 PM I'm jealous! [Re: Vargha]
Vintagedeputy
The Collectinator

Loc: Richmond, Va.

I'm just a 34 year old guy who collects "collector grade" vintage cards for the fun of it. Nothing I have is super valuable or is locked away in a safe deposit box. I've been in the hobby for more years than I care to admit and I've been a loyal SGC customer since December 1999 (my first shipment to SGC). I've had the opportunity to meet the SGC crew numerous times over the years here in Richmond, Va. and I've written to hobby publications (during SGC's lean early years) and touted the merits of SGC.

I have absolutely no idea who any of these hobby bigwigs are that are mentioned. I'm sure that their status is unqestionably earned and I make no efforts to take anything away from them.

I just want you to know that my name is Jim Reynolds and I wouldn't mind a bit if my name was bandied about on the boards as being a hobby superstar. I'd like to read about myself once in a while!

(posted completely in jest)

#385357 - 03/31/04 11:53 PM Re: Congrats to SGC and to Dave Forman [Re: Vargha]
botn

I do not think the person who has posted as Vargha is David Vargha. If this person is referring to this Greg as being Bingo on the CU forum, he is merely trying to start trouble.
#385358 - 04/01/04 01:06 AM Re: Congrats to SGC and to Dave Forman [Re: botn]
dbj77
Hobbyist

I don't think it's Vargha either, If I remember correctly about a year ago someone was posting over here as BigKidAtHeart but it wasn't actually BKAH, rather it was a troll.
#385359 - 04/01/04 02:40 AM Re: I'm jealous! [Re: Vintagedeputy]
aconte

Vintagedeputy,

AMEN Brother! I'm just a collector too. And if you are a collector having fun
with cards and using it as an outlet to enjoy life then that is what
it is all about. Life is too short and tough at times to not enjoy a hobby
if you have one. If the hobby becomes such a big deal that every little thing
bothers you then you should get out. But if you're having fun then yes
you are a hobby superstar to me.

Now time to go make the donuts.....

aconte

#385360 - 04/01/04 07:11 AM Re: Congrats to SGC and to Dave Forman [Re: Vargha]
Davalillo1

I know its not David Vargha posting.

I also like Greg and admire the stances he has taken and certainly do not consider him two-faced.

Dav

#385361 - 04/01/04 08:07 AM Re: Congrats to SGC and to Dave Forman [Re: Davalillo1]
Duncan300
Just got here

Couple questions, why are the psa guys so concerned about sgc and why are the sgc guys so concerned about the psa guys? I do not know dave , gerry , or gary, I do know gary is a chop shop, he doesn't really try to hide it. I hear alot of posts about Dave as being a solid dealer. I got out of this hobby for about 10 years and missed the whole grading boom . I think in the current environment, grading is a good thing and provides a certain level of conssitancy. Will every psa 8 or psa 9 look the same, certainly not but you can get a strong idea of the card. will every sgc 88 be the same no but again you have a strong idea of what you are getting. then there is raw , you have no clue what you are getting with values the way they are. If you choose to buy sgc then so be it same goes for psa . i think they are completely different companies as i posted on the psa board.

one thing I do know that collectors like me are what is going to drive this industry. thirty somethings who collected as a kid , got out when they went to college and have gotten back in to what they enjoyed as a kid but with a lot more disposable income. the one thing that could ruin it is companies like PRO . when the thirty something comes back with all his money and starts buying cards and does not know about pro so he says wow a hank aaron rookie, he buys it , spends a bunch of money then gets it and says , man these cards looked a lot bigger when I was younger. realizes he got screwed and says the hell with this grading thing. guys like MOSER and PRO are what the sgc supporters and the psa supporters should be expressing there anger at and trying to "pass the word" to new collectors, instead they express there anger to each other even though both are legitimate well respected companies. my 2 cents

Jim thanks for the email . packCollector on the psa boards. duncan300 on ebay

#385362 - 04/01/04 08:13 AM Re: Congrats to SGC and to Dave Forman [Re: Duncan300]
Basilone
If I just sell the car, I can up my bid...

Quote:

one thing I do know that collectors like me are what is going to drive this industry. thirty somethings who collected as a kid , got out when they went to college and have gotten back in to what they enjoyed as a kid but with a lot more disposable income.

That's where I'm at.....in this hobby...you really need to do your homework before making a substantial purchase.

#385363 - 04/01/04 09:17 AM Re: Congrats to SGC and to Dave Forman [Re: Duncan300]
Fabfrank
(S)uper Collector

Duncan- Welcome to these boards. I'm keeping an open mind and staying objective regarding SGC's in majority stockholder. As much as I discount the negative things said about dealers, I also take with a "grain of salt" the kudos thrown about. I'll let Mr. Forman prove himself before passing judgement. In the meantime I'll keep buying the cards I like (SGC and PSA) and passing on the ones I don't.
#385364 - 04/01/04 10:04 AM Re: Congrats to SGC and to Dave Forman [Re: Fabfrank]
deadlyembrace
The Venus Card Trap

Loc: Austin, TX

There's been lots of positive sentiments expressed in this thread (... in between gnashing of teeth, 3rd hand rumor, SGC/PSA back-biting, etc...) about Dave Forman and his acquiring a majority share of SGC. Personally, I am looking forward to the changes that he will bring to SGC. Not that I think the company is failing in any given capacity, but that's what new ownership does -- make changes. Certainly he didn't make the financial committment that he did to then proceed with the status quo.

Quote:

one thing I do know that collectors like me are what is going to drive this industry. thirty somethings who collected as a kid , got out when they went to college and have gotten back in to what they enjoyed as a kid but with a lot more disposable income.

BTW Duncan300, let's not disparage our elders ... I'm in the 40-something crowd and don't even remember my 30's. Welcome to the boards.

#385365 - 04/01/04 12:12 PM Re: Congrats to SGC and to Dave Forman [Re: deadlyembrace]
KLL
Hobbyist

Dav

I read some of the postings on CU board today regarding Dave Forman. You seem to be the only person who seems to have had business dealing with Dave. Can you elaborate on the relationship between Dave and the other two guys?

One postings on the CU board seems to imply that they were a very tight business trio and very good friends. Is this true? Or were they casual friends or just casual business associates?

I try not to judge one by what others say about someone. But I do admit I often judge people by the company they keep. And I am a bit concern about his possible past relatonship with the other two mentioned names.

#385366 - 04/01/04 12:47 PM Re: Congrats to SGC and to Dave Forman [Re: KLL]
vayank
The Amazing Card-Man

KLL >

In case you missed these previous posts by Dav, which address your question.

Quote:

I have known Dave for 12 years and think very highly of him. Getting someone like Dave as part owner and actively involved in providing direction can only mean good things for SGC!!!!
I look forward to visiting SGC's operations next week and learning more about the company.

Dav

Runscott,

Gary Moser not a mistake but that was many years ago. Gary and Dave have gone in different directions in the hobby.

Dav

In regards to the lengthy thread on the Collectors Universe boards, I do not believe what one of the trolls(Bingo who has attacked me in the past)says about Dave.I will not dignify his accusation by repeating it. While not passing judgment on Gary or Gerry, just because Dave did an auction with them 10 years ago and may be friendly with them today does not taint him in any way.
I think Dave is a guy of good character and knows lots about cards. I think he will prove to be a good hire and an excellent leader of SGC.

Jim Crandell

#385367 - 04/01/04 12:54 PM Re: Congrats to SGC and to Dave Forman [Re: KLL]
aconte

Quote:

Dave is one of the most recognized national dealers by serious vintage collectors. He actually started with Gerry Schwartz and has done auctions early on with Gerry and Gary Moser. For many years he has been on his own.

KLL,

I think that has been answered by Davalillo - not to put words in his mouth.
This topic has been beaten to death. Maybe your best bet for direct answers
is to call Sean of Sgc. I'm sure he can answer all your questions. I think
if you are looking to hear from board members you should get the facts from
Sgc too if you are looking to pass judgment.

aconte

#385368 - 04/01/04 01:23 PM Re: Congrats to SGC and to Dave Forman [Re: aconte]
grilloj39

I thought sean and dav answered it pretty well myself.

#385369 - 04/01/04 05:34 PM Re: Congrats to SGC and to Dave Forman [Re: KLL]
Davalillo1

KLL,

You may be disappointed in this answer but I have better things to do than to keep track of who is friends with who. They did an auction together over 10 years ago.

Dave is a top dealer with great integrity and he is a friend. What else do you want me to say.

Oh, I know who he is friendly with--the king of vintage basketball himself--Mike Rakosi and well-known vintage card collector--"the Rabbi". I can guarantee you what they will say. They love him.

Jim

#385370 - 07/06/04 11:07 AM Re: Congrats to SGC and to Dave Forman [Re: aconte]
srs1a

About 3 months ago, SeanSGC posted:
Hello All,

We will be making an official announcement in the next few days concerning SGC's ownership and future plans. While it is true that Dave Forman has joined SGC, I do want to note that some of the information that has been posted is not totally accurate. Once we have made our announcement, we will be happy to field any questions that our board members have. We will speak to you soon.

Regards,

Sean Skeffington
VP of Operations

I am unaware of any further comments from SGC -- Sean, what's up? What's new? What's changed and what will change?

Edited to add: I just read on Net54 that some of these issues will be addressed at a bar-b-que later in the week. As, I suppose, most of the board members will not be in attendence perhaps you could enlighten us, as well.

Edited by srs1a (07/06/04 12:04 PM)

#385371 - 07/06/04 05:16 PM Re: Congrats to SGC and to Dave Forman [Re: srs1a]
Davalillo1

Not an accurate comment. I am not having a barbecue and Dave is not being asked to give a speech. He is an invited guest at my house who if he is comfortable doing so may make a few remarks about SGC.

Dav

#385372 - 07/06/04 06:43 PM Re: Congrats to SGC and to Dave Forman [Re: Davalillo1]
srs1a

Split hairs all you want, Dav.

Edited to remove information that I should not have posted on a public forum

Edited by srs1a (07/07/04 02:57 PM)

#385373 - 07/07/04 04:21 AM Re: Congrats to SGC and to Dave Forman [Re: srs1a]
Davalillo1

1)First, you are splitting hairs between a few minutes and a few remarks.

2)Secondly, everything said on LTS is confidential and if you are going to participate on that members-only board you need to keep what is said there there.

Davalillo

#385374 - 07/07/04 05:14 AM Sounds like a great time [Re: Davalillo1]
Abrams

Dav,
Will you have your collection evaluated by the SGC experts?

#385375 - 07/07/04 10:33 AM Re: Sounds like a great time [Re: Abrams]
Davalillo1

Depends on how you define "evaluated".. They will see it and can offer opinions.

I do have some "old" high-end SGC cards and some SBC cards as well.

Dav

#385376 - 07/07/04 03:01 PM Re: Sounds like a great time [Re: Davalillo1]
srs1a

OK, here's your post on the same subject on a public board -- Net54. Same theme, same message...and Sean is still the head grader!

=========
Dave Forman, president of SGC, and perhaps Sean, their head grader, will be at my sportscard party and will address the strategic direction of SGC.
=========

And, again, I ask the folks at SGC -- are we going the hear anyting about the strategic direction of SGC?

edited to reduce the "rant and rave" factor

Edited by srs1a (07/09/04 04:13 AM)

#385377 - 07/07/04 03:57 PM Re: Sounds like a great time [Re: srs1a]
grilloj39

srs1a...i think your directing your frustration in the wrong direction. If Dav has invited Dave and Sean to his party, then it is only obvious questions will be asked about SGCs direction or game plan for the future.

why not send an e-mail to Sean or Dave with any specific questions you may have? I am sure they'll be more than glad to answer them.

#385378 - 07/07/04 06:21 PM Re: Sounds like a great time [Re: grilloj39]
Abrams

Dav,
I was wondering if you would take it as an opportunity to see if your massive colection was infected with any Wiwag or altered cards. I know that the scuttlebut is that Wiwag only involved modern cards graded late in 2002. However, I know of a collector who had purchased a vintage "common" card from Wiwag in late 1999 or 2000. He had the card reevaluated by psa and his money was refunded as it was determined that the holder was not genuine. This is an ominous sign as it shows that the sham was in place for several years and it involved more than just modern cards. PSA's lack of transparency on the issue also raises questions.

#385379 - 07/07/04 07:07 PM Re: Sounds like a great time [Re: Abrams]
Davalillo1

Abrams,

Its possible WIWAG cards could be in my collectrion but I don't see any obvious overgraded cards and this would hardly be an opportunity to analyze this--we are talking about 20-25,000 graded psa cards.

Scott,

I am done arguing on sportscard boards--congrats on the new baby--enjoy.

Grillo,

Sorry you cannot make the trip from Texas but you have an open invitation.

Dav

#385380 - 07/07/04 08:15 PM Re: Sounds like a great time [Re: Davalillo1]
grilloj39

Jim...thanks for the invite, it is unfortunate I have to work.
John

#385381 - 07/08/04 10:42 AM Re: Sounds like a great time [Re: grilloj39]
njdolphins
The Collectinator

Loc: Trimmed, Pressed, Power Erased

Jim

Will SGC be grading on-site?

#385382 - 07/09/04 04:20 AM SGC's vision for the future [Re: grilloj39]
srs1a

John,

Please don't misunderstand me -- I think it is great that Mr. Forman is attending Dav's function and will talk about his vision for SGC. This is nothing but a positive.

However, I am not able to attend this function and I would like to know, too. And, I'm sure there are more than a few dedicated SGC collectors that visit this board that share my sentiments. Finally, Sean indicated that he would be posting this information in the near future 3 months ago.

My net is that I would very much like to understand where SGC is going in the future. I think the board is a natural venue for this sort of communication as it hits a relatively wide audience who all share this interest.

Finally, I understand that Sean is expecting an addition to their family sometime this month, so I am sure he is distracted. However, Sean, when you finally shaken that sleep deprived funk from you existance, please take a few minutes to educate the masses.

Scott

#385383 - 07/09/04 09:53 AM Re: SGC's vision for the future [Re: srs1a]
SeanSGC
Everything SGC

Scott and Others,

The summer is a busy time for SGC with SportsFest in June and the National Convention in less than 2 weeks. Much of our time is spent planning and preparing for those two events, as well as grading an increasing volume of cards while maintaining our turnaround times. We will be grading on-site at the Cleveland National. Once again we are a Corporate sponsor of the show and this year we took the "Bag" sponsorship. Each person that attends the National will receive a plastic bag (to hold all of the giveways that the National provides) with our logo, etc. We feel this will give SGC tremendous exposure as our logo, web-site and phone number will be in everyone's hand.

The new web-site is coming along nicely, I have been able to review it a few times. We hope to have it live by the end of this month. I believe I have mentioned before here that we are working on the functionality of the Pop Report and the status check. We know these features are not very user friendly at the moment, but it takes a tremendous amount of time and money to overhaul that part of the system.

As far as the ownership goes, Dave Forman has taken over the company in a fairly seamless transaction in terms of policies and day to day operations. Dave's primary goal is to ensure end-user satisfaction. Meaning the collector who buys an SGC graded is receiving a stricly graded and unaltered card. Unfortunetly, we(the market in general) have not seen a decline in the number of altered cards on the market, be it at shows, on submissions or sent to us for our Crossover service. SGC understands that the collectors can make or break this hobby and we want to do our part to enhance their enjoyment and see that their collections are genuine.

Since SGC has always been very collector oriented, a common complaint from collectors is that there are not enough SGC graded cards on the market. It is a fair complaint because many of the cards we grade go straight into collections. To help ease that situation, Dave has been in contact with many national as well as local dealers and the response has been very positive. More submissions means more cards on the open market for SGC collectors to buy.

That's it for now and I hope everyone is enjoying the Summer. Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions or comments.

Regards,

Sean Skeffington

#385384 - 07/09/04 12:16 PM Re: SGC's vision for the future [Re: SeanSGC]
srs1a

Thank-you Sean, it is always nice to hear the latest from Parsippany. I remain a firm believer on your product, I only worry that I don't see enough of it our there. Good to hear that Dave Forman is "working the street" on this issue.

Best wishes for the summer!

Page all of 7 12345>Last »

Moderator:  EARLSWORLD 
Hop to:
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible) and 3 anonymous users online.
Newest Members
vwxyz{570399, nopqrs004715, tjf092071, jakerazzle1, rstuvw197344
1961 Registered Users

Generated in 0.039 seconds in which 0.002 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression disabled.