Page 3 of 7 <12345>Last »
Topic Options
#385340 - 03/30/04 01:48 PM Re: Congrats to SGC and to Dave Forman [Re: SeanSGC]
Davalillo1
Collector is an understatement.

Sean,

Even though I don't know you, you just took a big jump up in my book with your response to that question.

Dav

#385341 - 03/30/04 03:22 PM Re: Congrats to SGC and to Dave Forman [Re: Davalillo1]
botn
I am gonna miss that car.

Loc: Santa Monica, CA

Thanks guys. Mistakes are quickly taken off of the market. I wish that they would implement that same procedures with respect to Toothpick.

SGC stands behind the cards they grade. I just had a situation occur with respect to an E95 Cobb and SGC made no excuses about it. I was very pleased that they take that much pride in their name. It should be reassuring to the public. Dave Froman was involved in making that decision, by the way.

I hope that Forman will be a positive move for SGC and the hobby. I wish SGC and him the best.

Greg

#385342 - 03/30/04 03:34 PM ... [Re: botn]
MW1
veteran

#385343 - 03/30/04 04:07 PM Re: Congrats to SGC and to Dave Forman [Re: MW1]
botn

Mike,

Dave had offered to buy the card back without hesitation. I agree that the disparity between SGC and PSA is quite obvious.

Greg

#385344 - 03/30/04 04:25 PM Re: Congrats to SGC and to Dave Forman [Re: botn]
Davalillo1
Collector is an understatement.

Very very impressive. And I would not have to put up with the president calling me a lowlife or a pos.
For those interested in this story, e-mail me privately.

Dav

#385345 - 03/30/04 04:31 PM Re: Congrats to SGC and to Dave Forman [Re: Davalillo1]
grilloj39

Loc: San Antonio, TX

That's great news about SGC...nothing wrong with making mistakes from time to time, it's how their handled that's important. I have no agenda here (I already have a grading company I submit to), but anyone considering either PSA or SGC to grade their cards should take note. Compare Mr Orlando's handling of the situations with Frank, Vargha and others, versus SGCs handling of the Cobb issue.

#385346 - 03/31/04 08:02 AM Re: Congrats to SGC and to Dave Forman [Re: Davalillo1]
Sean_C
Hobbyist

Are Dave and Gary Moser still friends, business partners, associates, etc?

Quote:

Vayank,

Ugh! Dave(not Dan) Forman(not Forsman). I think Dan Forsman is a pga golfer.

Dave is one of the most recognized national dealers by serious vintage collectors. He actually started with Gerry Schwartz and has done auctions early on with Gerry and Gary Moser. For many years he has been on his own. I remember when Dave and Gerry Schwartz walked into my office 12 years ago and sold me a large number of prewar 8s, 9s and 10s. I remember debating with him the difference between psa 9 and 10 and why should I have to pay a premium for a 10. This was early days for psa. I may have paid a small premium at the end. The difference was pretty small as well between a psa 8 and 9. I would guess Dave was a teenager at this time.

I do not believe it is accurate to say that Dave shifted his business to SGC. He may submit to SGC but I would be surprised if he did not summit primarily to PSA.

Regardless, as I said I have known Dave a long time and believe he will add materially to the strength of the company.

Dav

#385347 - 03/31/04 08:33 AM Question for the more learned members of the board [Re: grilloj39]
srs1a
Old, dense-headed hammers are cool. Best nail pounders.

Loc: NY

Guys,

In the short time this thread had been up, all four of the names that MW1 posted / reposted / reposted 'til he got booted have been associated with Mr. Forman (at least I believe that it is all four...but perhaps it is just 3 of them) I know nothing about Mr Forman, but I know plenty about 3 of the 4 other names.

Any words of wisdom here?

Scott

#385348 - 03/31/04 10:54 AM Re: Question for the more learned members of the board [Re: srs1a]
botn

Scott,

Interesting point but Mike seems to be very excited and supportive of Dave's coming on board.

Greg

#385349 - 03/31/04 11:53 AM Re: Congrats to SGC and to Dave Forman [Re: Sean_C]
SeanSGC
Everything SGC

Loc: NJ

SeanC and everyone else,

Some of these posts remind me of that childhood game "Telephone", where factual information takes many detours. Such is the nature of message boards in general. Anyway, Dave Forman is not now or ever been business partners with Gary Moser. In an earlier post, Davalillo (Jim Crandall) mentioned that he first met Dave Forman 11 years ago (1993) and that Gary Moser and Dave Forman ran the first exclusive PSA auction. That was the first and only auction that they ran together. Somehow this has been translated by some individuals into a connection between Dave Forman, Gary Moser and SGC. It is just not the case. Again that was 11 years ago. Since that time Dave Forman has been in business for himself and for a brief period was involved at Teletrade. He no longer has any involvement with Teletrade either. Dave Forman has purchased a majority share of SGC. The balance of the shares of SGC are owned by some of the original owners of SGC who are involved in the rare coin business. I hope this clears up some of the inaccurate statements that have been made on this board as well as some of the other boards (CU and Network54). As an employee of SGC since day 1 in 1998, I personally have never met or seen Gary Moser in my lifetime. Thanks for your time.

Regards,
Sean Skeffington

Page 3 of 7 <12345>Last »

Moderator:  EARLSWORLD 
Hop to:
Who's Online
0 registered and 5 anonymous users online.
Newest Members
klmnop450123, abcdef863349, vwxyz{570399, nopqrs004715, tjf092071
1963 Registered Users

Generated in 0.019 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression disabled.