Page 5 of 7 « First<34567>
Topic Options
#385360 - 04/01/04 07:11 AM Re: Congrats to SGC and to Dave Forman [Re: Vargha]
Davalillo1
Collector is an understatement.

I know its not David Vargha posting.

I also like Greg and admire the stances he has taken and certainly do not consider him two-faced.

Dav

#385361 - 04/01/04 08:07 AM Re: Congrats to SGC and to Dave Forman [Re: Davalillo1]
Duncan300
Just got here

Couple questions, why are the psa guys so concerned about sgc and why are the sgc guys so concerned about the psa guys? I do not know dave , gerry , or gary, I do know gary is a chop shop, he doesn't really try to hide it. I hear alot of posts about Dave as being a solid dealer. I got out of this hobby for about 10 years and missed the whole grading boom . I think in the current environment, grading is a good thing and provides a certain level of conssitancy. Will every psa 8 or psa 9 look the same, certainly not but you can get a strong idea of the card. will every sgc 88 be the same no but again you have a strong idea of what you are getting. then there is raw , you have no clue what you are getting with values the way they are. If you choose to buy sgc then so be it same goes for psa . i think they are completely different companies as i posted on the psa board.

one thing I do know that collectors like me are what is going to drive this industry. thirty somethings who collected as a kid , got out when they went to college and have gotten back in to what they enjoyed as a kid but with a lot more disposable income. the one thing that could ruin it is companies like PRO . when the thirty something comes back with all his money and starts buying cards and does not know about pro so he says wow a hank aaron rookie, he buys it , spends a bunch of money then gets it and says , man these cards looked a lot bigger when I was younger. realizes he got screwed and says the hell with this grading thing. guys like MOSER and PRO are what the sgc supporters and the psa supporters should be expressing there anger at and trying to "pass the word" to new collectors, instead they express there anger to each other even though both are legitimate well respected companies. my 2 cents

Jim thanks for the email . packCollector on the psa boards. duncan300 on ebay

#385362 - 04/01/04 08:13 AM Re: Congrats to SGC and to Dave Forman [Re: Duncan300]
Basilone
If I just sell the car, I can up my bid...

Quote:

one thing I do know that collectors like me are what is going to drive this industry. thirty somethings who collected as a kid , got out when they went to college and have gotten back in to what they enjoyed as a kid but with a lot more disposable income.

That's where I'm at.....in this hobby...you really need to do your homework before making a substantial purchase.

#385363 - 04/01/04 09:17 AM Re: Congrats to SGC and to Dave Forman [Re: Duncan300]
Fabfrank
(S)uper Collector

Duncan- Welcome to these boards. I'm keeping an open mind and staying objective regarding SGC's in majority stockholder. As much as I discount the negative things said about dealers, I also take with a "grain of salt" the kudos thrown about. I'll let Mr. Forman prove himself before passing judgement. In the meantime I'll keep buying the cards I like (SGC and PSA) and passing on the ones I don't.
#385364 - 04/01/04 10:04 AM Re: Congrats to SGC and to Dave Forman [Re: Fabfrank]
deadlyembrace
The Venus Card Trap

Loc: Austin, TX

There's been lots of positive sentiments expressed in this thread (... in between gnashing of teeth, 3rd hand rumor, SGC/PSA back-biting, etc...) about Dave Forman and his acquiring a majority share of SGC. Personally, I am looking forward to the changes that he will bring to SGC. Not that I think the company is failing in any given capacity, but that's what new ownership does -- make changes. Certainly he didn't make the financial committment that he did to then proceed with the status quo.

Quote:

one thing I do know that collectors like me are what is going to drive this industry. thirty somethings who collected as a kid , got out when they went to college and have gotten back in to what they enjoyed as a kid but with a lot more disposable income.

BTW Duncan300, let's not disparage our elders ... I'm in the 40-something crowd and don't even remember my 30's. Welcome to the boards.

#385365 - 04/01/04 12:12 PM Re: Congrats to SGC and to Dave Forman [Re: deadlyembrace]
KLL
Hobbyist

Dav

I read some of the postings on CU board today regarding Dave Forman. You seem to be the only person who seems to have had business dealing with Dave. Can you elaborate on the relationship between Dave and the other two guys?

One postings on the CU board seems to imply that they were a very tight business trio and very good friends. Is this true? Or were they casual friends or just casual business associates?

I try not to judge one by what others say about someone. But I do admit I often judge people by the company they keep. And I am a bit concern about his possible past relatonship with the other two mentioned names.

#385366 - 04/01/04 12:47 PM Re: Congrats to SGC and to Dave Forman [Re: KLL]
vayank
The Amazing Card-Man

Loc: Alexandria, Va

KLL >

In case you missed these previous posts by Dav, which address your question.

Quote:

I have known Dave for 12 years and think very highly of him. Getting someone like Dave as part owner and actively involved in providing direction can only mean good things for SGC!!!!
I look forward to visiting SGC's operations next week and learning more about the company.

Dav

Runscott,

Gary Moser not a mistake but that was many years ago. Gary and Dave have gone in different directions in the hobby.

Dav

In regards to the lengthy thread on the Collectors Universe boards, I do not believe what one of the trolls(Bingo who has attacked me in the past)says about Dave.I will not dignify his accusation by repeating it. While not passing judgment on Gary or Gerry, just because Dave did an auction with them 10 years ago and may be friendly with them today does not taint him in any way.
I think Dave is a guy of good character and knows lots about cards. I think he will prove to be a good hire and an excellent leader of SGC.

Jim Crandell

#385367 - 04/01/04 12:54 PM Re: Congrats to SGC and to Dave Forman [Re: KLL]
aconte
Bid more or post more... tough one...

Loc: On The Beach....where else!

Quote:

Dave is one of the most recognized national dealers by serious vintage collectors. He actually started with Gerry Schwartz and has done auctions early on with Gerry and Gary Moser. For many years he has been on his own.

KLL,

I think that has been answered by Davalillo - not to put words in his mouth.
This topic has been beaten to death. Maybe your best bet for direct answers
is to call Sean of Sgc. I'm sure he can answer all your questions. I think
if you are looking to hear from board members you should get the facts from
Sgc too if you are looking to pass judgment.

aconte

#385368 - 04/01/04 01:23 PM Re: Congrats to SGC and to Dave Forman [Re: aconte]
grilloj39
I am gonna miss that car.

Loc: San Antonio, TX

I thought sean and dav answered it pretty well myself.

#385369 - 04/01/04 05:34 PM Re: Congrats to SGC and to Dave Forman [Re: KLL]
Davalillo1
Collector is an understatement.

KLL,

You may be disappointed in this answer but I have better things to do than to keep track of who is friends with who. They did an auction together over 10 years ago.

Dave is a top dealer with great integrity and he is a friend. What else do you want me to say.

Oh, I know who he is friendly with--the king of vintage basketball himself--Mike Rakosi and well-known vintage card collector--"the Rabbi". I can guarantee you what they will say. They love him.

Jim

Page 5 of 7 « First<34567>

Moderator:  EARLSWORLD 
Hop to:
Who's Online
0 registered and 8 anonymous users online.
Newest Members
klmnop450123, abcdef863349, vwxyz{570399, nopqrs004715, tjf092071
1963 Registered Users

Generated in 0.018 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression disabled.