Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#3867 - 09/05/02 04:27 PM Woulda, Shoulda, Coulda Been a HOF'er! Who do you guys think...
downgoesfrazier
I am gonna miss that car.

Loc: Summer of '77

Try to limit your post to one player at a time and give a reason you think that player should have or would have been in the HOF. It might be fun to list your favorite card of that player as well

My first suggestion would be James Rodney Richard.
At 6'8 and 260 LBS (his cards say 220, yeah right) JR was the most feared right-hander in the National League when a stroke ended his brilliant career. JR was the leagues first righty to post back-to-back 300 strikeout seasons in 1978 and 1979 and was winning the pitching triple crown at the All-Star Break in 1980. He had complained of a "dead-arm" but no one listened. He dominated the AL in the All-Star game (Reggie Jackson called JR the hardest thrower he'd ever seen) and soon after suffered a stroke that derailed the Cooperstown Express.
107 Wins 71 Losses 3.15 ERA and nearly 1500 K's 19 Shutouts...in only seven full seasons. He was just reaching his prime.
My favorite JR cards are 1977 and 1980. Both show his high leg lift and power.

Who do you guys think...

#3868 - 09/10/02 09:12 AM Re: Woulda, Shoulda, Coulda Been a HOF'er! Who do you guys think... [Re: downgoesfrazier]
srs1a
Old, dense-headed hammers are cool. Best nail pounders.

Loc: NY

How about Mattingly?

Lifetime: .307, 222 HR's, 1099 RBI's and an amazing .996 fielding %

compare to Puckett who got in on his first ballot

Lifetime: .318, 207HR's, 1085 RBI;s and a fielding % of .989

Looks identical to me -- I guess rings count.

#3869 - 09/10/02 04:32 PM Re: Woulda, Shoulda, Coulda Been a HOF'er! Who do you guys think... [Re: srs1a]
downgoesfrazier

You're preaching to the choir here Donnie baseball was and still is representative of all that is good about the game. Kirby, same deal. They're both HOF material in my book. They both had injuries cut short the final numbers, but they made big splashes and followed with MVP-type seasons.

#3870 - 10/24/02 06:06 PM Re: Woulda, Shoulda, Coulda Been a HOF'er! Who do you guys think... [Re: downgoesfrazier]
Anonymous Unregistered

I think Dave Concepcion. He was a pioneer infielder and clutch hitter on baseball's greatest team ever! He was an all-star almost every year also. I am biased for Reds, but think he was awesome.
#3871 - 10/25/02 06:26 AM Re: Woulda, Shoulda, Coulda Been a HOF'er! Who do you guys think... [Re: downgoesfrazier]
Anonymous Unregistered

Having lived in Houston in the early 80's, I'll second that JR Richard vote! i love the '77 card and also the card from '79 - think it was an All-Star or RecordBreaker card..

Tink

#3872 - 11/20/02 03:17 PM Re: Woulda, Shoulda, Coulda Been a HOF'er! Who do you guys think... [Re: downgoesfrazier]
Anonymous Unregistered

What about Dale Murphy? Is he in the Hall? If not he probably should be.
#3873 - 11/20/02 11:29 PM Re: Woulda, Shoulda, Coulda Been a HOF'er! Who do you guys think...
vayank
The Amazing Card-Man

Loc: Alexandria, Va

Nah...I simply don't think Murphy makes it for the same reason Rice doesn't make it. Their periods of dominance weren't long enough to off set early and rapid declines. Of course, if they got in, I wouldn't break eggs over it.

#3874 - 11/22/02 01:58 AM Re: Woulda, Shoulda, Coulda Been a HOF'er! Who do you guys think... [Re: vayank]
downgoesfrazier

While I love Murph, probably not a HOF'er for the reasons Yank eludes to. Rice, same deal. Rice and Albert Belle seem similar in my minds eye. Murphy and Rice are two of my favorites, but really beyond the bubble.

#3875 - 11/22/02 03:41 AM Re: Woulda, Shoulda, Coulda Been a HOF'er! Who do you guys think... [Re: downgoesfrazier]
stanthemanfan
If I just sell the car, I can up my bid...

Also a huge Dale Murphy fan - played the game the way it was supposed to be played. A great role model, great player - not HOF material. The numbers just aren't there to make it to Cooperstown. Career .260's hitter with less than 400 HR's makes it a difficult call.

While were talking potential HOFers - what about Blyleven's chance this year. I believe I read an argument once that he looked to pad his stats while not being a dominant team player. Is this possible - can a pitcher fan a ton of batters and not help a team win? Maybe I misunderstood the comment.

Any thought on a veteran's committee pick this year? Hodges, maybe.

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  EARLSWORLD 
Hop to:
Who's Online
0 registered and 12 anonymous users online.
Newest Members
defghi104200, jklmno253672, hijklm176309, defghi521014, klmnop450123
1967 Registered Users

Generated in 0.017 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression disabled.