Page 1 of 2 12>
Topic Options
#40784 - 12/23/02 03:05 AM Eagerly awaiting a 1980 Topps Baseball Vending box in mail
estang
(S)uper Collector

I purchased it for $96.50 including shipping from the great ebay seller "bigpuma". I'm looking forward to crackin' it open and sending in some cards to SGC for grading under their special.

I'd like to get an All-Star run of 1980 SGC cards along with major stars; much like what I'm trying to do with the 1977 set.

I bought a very nice 1980 NM to NM/MT Mint set from a guy off of ebay recently for only $50 with cards that are worth to send in for 88 to 96 grades. I'm curious on how the vending box will compare to the set. I may send duplicates in to compare and sell myself to buy more cards.

Upon further review, I've found that the 1980 Topps baseball is a very well designed set that is generally well-centered in comparison to 1970s cards. They have those great fascilime autos and all-star designated cards.

I also bought a 1979 NM to NM/MT set from the same guy I got the 1980 set from. I decided not to send cards to graded from this set because I don't really like the 1979 design and the centering is very bad.

I'll keep you posted.

Happy Holidays!

Erik

#40785 - 12/23/02 06:24 AM Re: Eagerly awaiting a 1980 Topps Baseball Vending box in mail [Re: estang]
vayank
The Amazing Card-Man

Loc: Alexandria, Va

Great stuff. The anticipation can angonzing...defeinitely a "when is Santa coming to town" feeling. When I bought my '77 vending box, it took forever to ship. But it was well worth the wait. I actually 40 or so currently being graded. Let us know how it goes....

I agree with about 1979. I couldn't warm up to the design. Soon enough, you'll give into 1977 fever...

#40786 - 12/24/02 04:20 AM Box was a real loser due to condition... [Re: vayank]
estang
(S)uper Collector

I haven't checked in detail but I'm completely disappointed in the quality of the cards. I'd say that 1/5 are in EX+ or less condition due to dinged corners. I will only be submitting 2 cards for grading: Rickey Henderson & Nolan Ryan. Both are slightly off-center and I guess they'll get anywhere from an 84 to an 88 grade.

I contacted the seller, who has great feedback on ebay, to let him know that he packed the cards with care but that the quality was bad. He replied back stating that he has sold over 400 vending boxes and I'm the 2nd one to report dinged corners. I'm not looking for a refund, but I feel jipped.

The other major/minor star cards are not even NM. I'd say about 15 cards were mint and about 225 would grade an 88 or 92.

The set I purchased for $55 bucks was in way better quality and I have about 22 star cards from that I will send in.

Total bummer! Anyone else had similar experiences?

Erik

Erik

#40787 - 12/30/02 05:55 AM Re: Box was a real loser due to condition... [Re: estang]
Anonymous Unregistered

Erik> That's been my experience with late 70s and early 80s vending. Even a well-cared-for box doesn't yield many truly mint cards. I think you'll find better success with rack boxes than with vending.

Mike

#40788 - 12/30/02 04:35 PM Re: Box was a real loser due to condition...
downgoesfrazier
I am gonna miss that car.

Loc: Summer of '77

Bingo Beavis! I know we've talked at some length about this. Vending can be rough. I'd like to see some pompous "vintage" guys try and do a truly MINT 75 set or 77 set...not that easy, folks!

estang, you want scary? How 'bout cracking open a really sweet lookin' 77 wax box and pulling 5 mint commons!...one in duplicate! Boo-yah! Let's see...at 900 a pop that's uh, er, just under 200 bucks for that Jerry Morales!...
Never Again!!!

Mike,
Can't get that damned pitching machine to work! Argh! Thanks for the help...how's your back?

#40789 - 12/31/02 01:22 AM Re: Box was a real loser due to condition... [Re: downgoesfrazier]
srs1a
Old, dense-headed hammers are cool. Best nail pounders.

Loc: NY

77s -- no kidding, MINT stuff from the 70's is really tough. So is NM/MT from the 60's where wax/vending just doesn't exist...or else is hundreds/thousands of dollars for a pack...or shi%%y "christmas cello". I think that there is one constant in card collecting -- no one is interested in easy. We all simply pick our level of acceptable pain an get on with it. And talk about pain -- take a look at DE's '62 partial set -- now this guy likes pain!

#40790 - 12/31/02 01:36 AM Re: Box was a real loser due to condition... [Re: srs1a]
downgoesfrazier
I am gonna miss that car.

Loc: Summer of '77

Scott,
I have seen the beast of which you speak.

Estang, here's another angle...If you you like the design of 1980 topps, pull out a few cards that you like that have poor cuts, centering, dings, chips, etc. and laminate them and use them as coasters I use tabless Red Man cards in this capacisty and they always spark interesting baseball/nostalgia-type conversations with company. You can also buy some finished glass and a wood table at a garage sale, paint the table any color you want and place the cards in a "scatter", lay the glass on top and VOILA! A gorgeous end table rich with collecting tradition...

OK, you can tell my wife has me watching "Trading Spaces" just a little too much...

#40791 - 01/04/03 12:01 PM Re: Eagerly awaiting a 1980 Topps Baseball Vending box in mail [Re: estang]
Fabfrank
(S)uper Collector

estang- That's the problem with late 70's/early 80's vending. When you get a good box, it's like a brick of gold. But unfortunately most are slightly better than what you described. Rack boxes tend to have better centered cards. Good Luck next time.
#40792 - 01/22/03 03:42 PM Re: Box was a real loser due to condition... [Re: estang]
MW1
veteran

Erik,

Unless the vending box was damaged before shipping, I don't see how a large quantity of its contents had dinged corners and were only Ex+. That would be very suspicious to me. Have you had any luck with a return or refund?

#40793 - 03/28/03 06:07 PM Re: Box was a real loser due to condition... [Re: downgoesfrazier]
Dungeon
If you have a dream about out-posting me, you better wake up and apologize.

Loc: Still Married!

I cant quite figure out yours and other forum members obsession with 1977 topps Baseball?????????????????????? Its an ugly set in my opinion and that Dale Murphy rookie is the top card. 1978 I could understand. Same goes for 1971 or 1975 but 1977??????????????????? Help me understand.

Page 1 of 2 12>

Moderator:  EARLSWORLD 
Hop to:
Who's Online
0 registered and 6 anonymous users online.
Newest Members
klmnop450123, abcdef863349, vwxyz{570399, nopqrs004715, tjf092071
1963 Registered Users

Generated in 0.031 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression disabled.