Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#41332 - 12/24/02 09:23 AM Resotration: Comics, Coins and Cards. Why the Differing View Points
vayank
The Amazing Card-Man

Loc: Alexandria, Va

Folks,

I do not much know about coin and comics collecting. What little I do know comes from the CGC and NGC boards. I am curious about the relative acceptance of restored collectibles.

I do know the that trimming, re-building corners, bleaching, resoritng colors etc. is absolutely not accepted in the card world. Reputations and fortunes can be lost due to engaging in these tactics.

However, restoration of coins and comics is not only accepted, but it is institutionalized. It does not bring a stigma and it is not forbidden. In fact, it is nearly a science.

1) What in the history of the three genres accounts for the differing standards of restoration?

2) What has made restoration taboo in card collecting, but accepted and regulated in coins and comics?

3) Human nature being what it is, some folks will always engage in what is illicit restoration of cards. The devil's advocate in me asks: Why not have it be regulated and institutionlized like the coin and comic world?

Thoughts?

#41333 - 12/26/02 02:07 AM Re: Resotration: Comics, Coins and Cards. Why the Differing View Points [Re: vayank]
Architecht
Web Architect

Loc: Chicago area

Actually, what is accepted in the coin world is not restoration, but conservation. From the NCS web site:

"Sometimes confusion arises about the term "conservation." Numismatic conservation involves examination, scientific analysis, and a reliance upon an extensive base of numismatic knowledge to determine the nature of a coin’s state of preservation and the extent of any damage. Conservation also encompasses appropriate procedures to protect the coin’s original appearance and to guard against future deterioration to whatever extent possible.

Professional conservation should not be confused with "Coin Doctoring", in which an attempt is made to improve the appearance and grade of a coin through deceptive means such as artificial toning and where unaccepted or unorthodox methods are employed. Also not qualifying as conservation is restoration where mechanical repairs are made such as filling holes, smoothing out scratches, and re-engraving of detail."

http://www.ncscoin.com/conservation/index.htm

Arch
  • Hour by hour resolve firmly, like a Roman and a man, to do what comes to hand with correct and natural dignity, and with humanity, independence, and justice. Allow your mind freedom from all other considerations.- Marcus Aurelius-Roman Emperor A.D. 121-180

#41334 - 12/26/02 03:01 AM Re: Resotration: Comics, Coins and Cards. Why the Differing View Points [Re: Architecht]
vayank
The Amazing Card-Man

Loc: Alexandria, Va

Thanks. What defines restoration of a comic?? Is it conservation there as well? or both?

#41335 - 12/26/02 04:06 AM Re: Resotration: Comics, Coins and Cards. Why the Differing View Points [Re: vayank]
greggy
I hope when I get older I don't sit around thinkin about it, but I probably will.

Loc: Vancouver, BC Canada

I think with respect to comics, it may be a game of semantics regarding what defines conservation or restoration. As in the card industry, techniques such as trimming and bleaching are extremely taboo because of the junk being sold in the early 1990s by the infamous Dan Dupchak of Fantazia (I'm sure you card people are aware of the guy). However, the main issue with respect to comics is whether the work is fully disclosed or whether it has been done by a respected professional or an amateur hack. Although prices are adversely affected by restoration, there is a market for them because unfortunately, the paper used to make comics are much more suspectible to aging and can become brittle over time. I've included a few links from respected comic book restoration experts for your reading pleasure:

http://www.fantasymasterpieces.com

http://www.therestorationlab.com

http://www.comicrestoration.com

http://www.eclipsepaper.com

A recent controversy has to do with the removal of previous professional restoration. All restoration, if professional done, is removal except a few techiques such as aqueous cleaning and pressing of the covers. Due to the fact that restored CGC comics don't achieve as much $$ as unrestored comics, some collectors are sending their books to have procedures reversed in order to get the universal grade. The main technique that is removed is a previous colour touch done with acrylic paint. CGC received a lot of heat when they announced previously that they were going to offer a restoration removal service to ensure that a previously identified restored book would get an universal grade. They have subsequently scrapped that idea. Hope this helps!

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  EARLSWORLD 
Hop to:
Who's Online
0 registered and 7 anonymous users online.
Newest Members
defghi104200, jklmno253672, hijklm176309, defghi521014, klmnop450123
1967 Registered Users

Generated in 0.048 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression disabled.