Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#414157 - 04/20/04 01:00 PM Pull 'em out or leave 'em in?
BigMelsCards
Just got here

I have a few cards from the 50's that I had graded by BVG last year, and I'm pretty displeased with the grading overall.

I would be interested in having them re-graded by SGC, or maybe even leaving them raw, but I don't know whether or not I should tempt fate by trying to open the BVG cases and taking the cards out.

Any suggestions? Hints? Tips? Warnings?

Thanks!

#414158 - 04/20/04 05:24 PM Re: Pull 'em out or leave 'em in? [Re: BigMelsCards]
grilloj39
I am gonna miss that car.

Loc: San Antonio, TX

BigMel...while BVG isn't my #1 choice for grading vintage cards, I would recommend you leave them as is. You've paid for the grading once, and BVG has a pretty nice looking holder and their reputation is pretty decent (all grading companies get slammed on these boards from time to time). I would not let what others say influence you...choose a grading company that YOU will be happy with.

Gen Patton had a saying..."never pay for the same real estate twice."

BTW: Welcome to the board!

#414159 - 04/21/04 09:30 AM Re: Pull 'em out or leave 'em in? [Re: BigMelsCards]
Fabfrank
(S)uper Collector

BigMel- I agree with Grillo. Leave them in their BVG holders and chalk up the grading fees as the price for a lesson learned.
#414160 - 04/21/04 10:50 AM Re: Pull 'em out or leave 'em in? [Re: Fabfrank]
BigMelsCards
Just got here

Thanks for the advice.

From what I've read, I think I like the look of the SGC holders the best (black showing off the corners/edges, etc), and the pricing seems to be pretty reasonable.

Here's the next one - what would be the value-added to grading a nice set from the 50's? I'm concerned (from the grades I got from BVG) that the set won't grade as high as I would want it to. Is the opinion that the set would sell for a stronger price as an ungraded set that I state would fetch in the EX+ range or should I take the chance and grade it to come out between EX and MT?

Thanks again!

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  EARLSWORLD 
Hop to:
Who's Online
0 registered and 4 anonymous users online.
Newest Members
defghi104200, jklmno253672, hijklm176309, defghi521014, klmnop450123
1967 Registered Users

Generated in 0.016 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression disabled.