Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#422955 - 04/29/04 03:13 PM New collector question
AJW
Learning the Ropes

I have recently discovered this board and the CU board. I've read a ton of posts on both and have learned quite a bit about the graded card market and industry. (I collected cards seriously for years as a kid, but haven't done much in the last 8 years or so.)

I have one question: What exactly was the WIWAG scandal?

There are a million messages that mention it, but none really explain it. So, if you could give me the thirty second rundown, I'd appreciate it.

#422956 - 04/29/04 06:27 PM Re: New collector question [Re: AJW]
deadlyembrace
The Venus Card Trap

Loc: Austin, TX

Hi AJW --

Welcome to the boards.

There have been several threads discussing the WIWAG scandal on therese boards. I will try to find them and post links for your review.

But if you want to experience, first hand, the April equivalent of July 4th fireworks ... post your question on the CU boards.

Then hold on to your hat ... and don't take personally anything that is said in response.

#422957 - 04/29/04 06:34 PM Re: New collector question [Re: deadlyembrace]
deadlyembrace
The Venus Card Trap

AJW --

Go to the search function available at the top of this page. Within the SGC category, search for:

MAJOR SCANDAL ROCKS COLLECTORS UNIVERSE & PSA

in the subject line and

MW1

in the username.

This will take you to a very long thread that should help you draw your own conclusions.

Good luck.

#422958 - 04/29/04 07:07 PM Re: New collector question [Re: deadlyembrace]
AJW
Learning the Ropes

Thanks...I'll take a look when I have enough time to read through the thread.

I actually did post a question on the CU boards and I got no response. Not too surprising, I guess. My guess is that there was someone that was cracking PSA cases and printing their own inserts, but that's about all I was able to figure out.

I also wonder what WIWAG stands for. I'm thinking it might be something something Wild [!@#%^&^] Guess.

I'll read the thread, and I'm sure it'll answer all my questions and a million more.

Thanks.

#422959 - 04/29/04 07:27 PM Re: New collector question [Re: AJW]
AJW
Learning the Ropes

Either I'm not very smart or the "search" function doesn't work at all.

Is the title of the thread "MAJOR SCANDAL ROCKS COLLECTORS UNIVERSE & PSA" ?

I followed your instructions and got nothing that looked close to the thread you described. So, I tried my own searches on the same basic info and the "search" feature seems to just return either every message that MW1 has posted (when I include MW1) in the search, or a completely random collection of posts that don't include the desired search terms (when I don't include an author in that box.)

Honestly, this is the worst "search" feature I've ever used.

If you could give me a direct link it would probably save me from putting my fist through the screen out of frustration.

Thanks,

AJW

#422960 - 04/29/04 07:44 PM Re: New collector question [Re: AJW]
AJW
Learning the Ropes

I found the thread...but not using the "search" feature. So, it's not necessary to post the link.

Thanks again for your willingness to help.

AJW

#422961 - 04/30/04 07:23 AM Re: New collector question [Re: AJW]
deadlyembrace
The Venus Card Trap

WIWAG : When It Was A Game ...

a discredited and disreputible company that used to specialize in the sales of PSA-graded cards.

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  EARLSWORLD 
Hop to:
Who's Online
1 registered (goldenhawk) and 4 anonymous users online.
Newest Members
abcdef863349, vwxyz{570399, nopqrs004715, tjf092071, jakerazzle1
1962 Registered Users

Generated in 0.017 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression disabled.