Page all of 2 12>
Topic Options
#434353 - 05/10/04 05:25 PM BOMBSHELL IN THE COLLECTING WORLD
Davalillo1
Collector is an understatement.

With GAI soon to have its registry up and running, one of the premeir if not the premeir graded vintage baseball card collections is being crossed over in its entirety from PSA to GAI. This may occur over time but there appears to be no doubt that it will happen.

I know why he is doing it(did anyone whisper grading) but I will let him say if he so chooses--great job Joe Orlando--with that winning customer service attitude it certainly won't be the last...

#434354 - 05/10/04 05:49 PM Re: BOMBSHELL IN THE COLLECTING WORLD [Re: Davalillo1]
jackstraw
Talkative?

Loc: @ a Baseball Card Show

i thought you were talking about someone like paris hilton started collecting baseball cards
seriously can we try and guess or is this going to be a wait and see?
i am guessing merkel. i can't imagine fogal or renaud would think about it.

#434355 - 05/10/04 05:50 PM Re: BOMBSHELL IN THE COLLECTING WORLD [Re: Davalillo1]
grilloj39
I am gonna miss that car.

Loc: San Antonio, TX

Davillilo I know who it is as well after my conversation with Mike today. But I agree, if they want to announce it fine, but if not, it's important to respect that individual's privacy.

#434356 - 05/10/04 06:06 PM Re: BOMBSHELL IN THE COLLECTING WORLD [Re: grilloj39]
Davalillo1

Chris Renaud has an interesting collection but no way I would call him one of the top collectors in the hobby. He is spending pretty aggressively though.

And how about Dmitri's decision to stopsending cards to PSA and do all his bus through GAI--don't say I didn't tell you.

John--best not to mention names--he is a very classy guy --and may not appreciate it. But wow...it is big news!

#434357 - 05/10/04 06:18 PM Re: BOMBSHELL IN THE COLLECTING WORLD [Re: Davalillo1]
grilloj39

Loc: San Antonio, TX

Jim, I agree, it is big news but again I'll respect the individual's privacy and I will definitely not mention the name.

Edited by grilloj39 (05/10/04 06:19 PM)

#434358 - 05/10/04 06:56 PM Re: BOMBSHELL IN THE COLLECTING WORLD [Re: grilloj39]
downgoesfrazier

Loc: Summer of '77

OK guys...it's me. I know you were all holding your breath and racking your brains trying to figure it out, but, alas, 'tis I who is crossing over some '82 topps football to GAI. Big news? Sure. But let's not beat it to death. I appreciate the kind words about my stellar collection but feel it's about the people--the little people that make this hobby what it is today. I feel honored and, quite frankly, humbled by all the attention my crossing over my '82 football has gotten. Thanks again and wish me luck...

#434359 - 05/10/04 07:47 PM Re: BOMBSHELL IN THE COLLECTING WORLD [Re: Davalillo1]
aconte
Bid more or post more... tough one...

Loc: On The Beach....where else!

Quote:

I know why he is doing it(did anyone whisper grading) but I will let him say if he so chooses--great job Joe Orlando--with that winning customer service attitude it certainly won't be the last...

I wonder if I know?

If I do then I wonder how many of his horsedong 8's just get cracked out and
reslabbed. Or I wonder did this person get ticked with Psa when his new
cards were getting graded 6's and 7's when the older cards (graded by
Baker) that are in 8 holders suck compared to these new cards. No offense
to the old holdered cards - it's just we know standards have changed,
not just the consistency and accuracy of Psa.

Just wondering out loud. But I guess I'll know soon enough....once
I find out who...like I don't really know

This is all too funny...

aconte

edited to say poop in an acceptable post....

Edited by aconte (05/10/04 07:49 PM)

#434360 - 05/10/04 09:38 PM Re: BOMBSHELL IN THE COLLECTING WORLD [Re: aconte]
Basilone
If I just sell the car, I can up my bid...

I wonder what the cost of something like that is...unless he only pays for the "bumps"

#434361 - 05/10/04 09:46 PM Re: BOMBSHELL IN THE COLLECTING WORLD [Re: Basilone]
Basilone
If I just sell the car, I can up my bid...

oh yea...I forgot....if anyone wants to fill me in the the persons name...drop me a PM. I have a pretty good idea...but would like confirmation.

#434362 - 05/11/04 04:44 AM Re: BOMBSHELL IN THE COLLECTING WORLD [Re: Basilone]
Davalillo1

Cost???? Come on John, you know better than that. The publicity benefits alone for GAI are enormous if they advertise it correctly.

I wonder if this means he will not get in to the set registry Hall of Fame??? Or did he already?? Maybe he has to give it back.

#434363 - 05/11/04 05:38 AM Re: BOMBSHELL IN THE COLLECTING WORLD [Re: Davalillo1]
njdolphins
The Collectinator

Loc: Trimmed, Pressed, Power Erased

Not for nothing but if you cant/wont reveal who is crossing their cards over then it isn't big news. Sounds more like a bunch of old washer women telling tales. So nothing personal Dav but it's kind of hard to have breaking news when you don't actually report anything substantive. To your point of keeping it quiet to respect the persons privacy, I respect that. However, why bother posting something that can't be revealed.

#434364 - 05/11/04 06:02 AM Re: BOMBSHELL IN THE COLLECTING WORLD [Re: njdolphins]
srs1a
Old, dense-headed hammers are cool. Best nail pounders.

Loc: NY

Put me in the don't care bucket. I collect cards because I like the images and I like the way they make me feel. The slab that they happen to reside in has very little to do with anything.

So, if crossing this collection into GAI holders makes for more competition in graded cards...great. If it means that people start looking at cards instead of holders....great. If it makes the owner happier....great. Other than these, no biggie.

#434365 - 05/11/04 06:43 AM Re: BOMBSHELL IN THE COLLECTING WORLD [Re: njdolphins]
Davalillo1

NJD,

It is one of the two most valuable collections of psa cards. Not hard to figure out.

Think early Bowman and Topps sets and probably 33-34 Goudey and 41 Play Ball

#434366 - 05/11/04 07:43 AM Re: BOMBSHELL IN THE COLLECTING WORLD [Re: Davalillo1]
gemint
Learning the Ropes

I wonder why someone would cross their entire collection to a new holder (regardless of which company they go from/to)? Even if they aren't happy with their current grading company, it seems foolish to risk damaging their cards having thousands cracked out, handled and reholdered. What happens if Baker/Rocci leave GAI or they go out of business? Will he again crack them all out and have them all reholdered yet again? Throwing a world class collection around to the current preferred grading company doesn't make sense to me. Build new sets in the preferred holder while leaving others in their existing holders seems like a better strategy.

So what happens if his world class 1952 Mantle gets clipped during the reholder process?

#434367 - 05/11/04 07:58 AM Re: BOMBSHELL IN THE COLLECTING WORLD [Re: gemint]
Davalillo1

Gemint,

Good observations and things I am considering as well. GAI's financial viability and the commitment of Rocchi/Baker to this are key at least to my decision.

I hate to speak for the gentleman involved but I know he is very close to these guys and has enormous confidence in Mike Baker's abilities. I do not think I would worry too much about damage to the cards with these guys .

I also know he has not been happy with PSA.

Personal relationships in the hobby mean a lot and Rocchi/Baker are close to a lot of the veteran dealers and collectors. Don't know any that are close to Joe Orlando.

#434368 - 05/22/04 04:01 AM Re: BOMBSHELL IN THE COLLECTING WORLD [Re: Davalillo1]
Sportstar
Just got here

I can fully understand why they want to switch card holder to GAI over PSA. PSA has without question many problems and I believe the right decision was made. Maybe, they know something about PSA we do not. When any major change or changes occurs there is always a reason "WHY" and for what purpose. One thing Collectors Universe/PSA has an attitude and not answering questions or providing feedback to the Better Business Bureau when called on to do so. This is the reason why the BBB has giving Collectors Universe/PSA an unsatifactory rating. They have no one to blame, but themselves.
#434369 - 05/22/04 04:17 AM Re: BOMBSHELL IN THE COLLECTING WORLD [Re: Sportstar]
vayank
The Amazing Card-Man

Loc: Alexandria, Va

Spooked

#434370 - 05/22/04 03:46 PM Re: BOMBSHELL IN THE COLLECTING WORLD [Re: Davalillo1]
wrigleyfield

No name, no bombshell.

#434371 - 05/23/04 09:04 AM Re: BOMBSHELL IN THE COLLECTING WORLD [Re: wrigleyfield]
Davalillo1

Wrigleyfield,

When you have one of the two top collectors in the hobby switch to GAI it is a bombshell. Not hard to figure who it is but is you do not know and want to e-mail me at jdc122@aol.com.

Davalillo

Page all of 2 12>

Moderator:  EARLSWORLD 
Hop to:
Who's Online
0 registered and 12 anonymous users online.
Newest Members
defghi104200, jklmno253672, hijklm176309, defghi521014, klmnop450123
1967 Registered Users

Generated in 0.022 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression disabled.