Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#447116 - 05/21/04 10:20 PM Best Grading Companies split by decade?
FYS
Bid more or post more... tough one...

Loc: Michigan - The Spartan State

I have been a long time collector and part-time dealer. I am now returning from a 2-1/2 year collecting/selling hiatus. Prior to my hiatus, I had made a decision to go with SGC over PSA and was very please with my decision. Now that I am back, I see Beckett and GAI involved. I am comfortable with choosing SGC from everything up to 1980. From 1981 on, I have a hard time ignoring what Beckett has done. My personal opionions are as follows:

Pre 1950 - SGC
50's - SGC
60's - SGC
70's - SGC, but seriously thought of PSA.
1980 - SGC
1981-89 - BGS, but wished someone could give me a good argument for SGC.
1990 - 04 - BGS, same wish for SGC.

Basically I am sold on SGC to 1980. I need some peer pressure to make me feel good (or bad if the truth) about 1981-present. Maybe there should be a couple of additonal splits between 1981 to present?

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

#447117 - 05/23/04 05:29 PM Re: Best Grading Companies split by decade? [Re: FYS]
srs1a
Old, dense-headed hammers are cool. Best nail pounders.

Loc: NY

Hello FYS and welcome to the boards.

I think asking for the "best" company is a tricky question. As you know, there are several important matters and how one values each of them will lead one to a different definition of "best".

For sheer volume of cards on the market, PSA wins in the vintage market (my definition is 50's through the early 70's). Also, given the strength of the PSA registry, commons from the era in PSA holders generally get significant premiums -vs- the other guys. The same is not the case for key HOF-ers and you will find several threads on this board on that subject.

It is hard to ignore what Beckett's has done in the modern market (my definition is 90's to present)...their position is analagous to PSA's in vintage...but perhaps even stronger given their incredibly strong brand. Anyone that has collected a card in the past 15 years knows who Beckett is. Ask them the same about PSA, SGC or GAI and you may well get a "huh?".

I have a great deal of respect for the folks at SGC and continue to use them for my collection. In my defintion of "best" consistency and accuracy are high on the list and I think they do very well on these issues. I only deal cards occasionally, so auction values do not weigh heavily on me...but these might lead someone to a different conclusion.

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  EARLSWORLD 
Hop to:
Who's Online
0 registered and 3 anonymous users online.
Newest Members
klmnop450123, abcdef863349, vwxyz{570399, nopqrs004715, tjf092071
1963 Registered Users

Generated in 0.014 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression disabled.