#4677 - 09/15/02 06:52 AM MISSING MARVEL STAMPS *DELETED*
Anonymous Unregistered

Post deleted by MRKOLORS

Edited by MRKOLORS (09/17/02 02:05 AM)

#4678 - 09/15/02 04:24 PM Re: MISSING MARVEL STAMPS
deadlyembrace
The Venus Card Trap

Loc: Austin, TX

Hi MrKolors -- Welcome to the CCG boards ... but you've posted your comics question in the Cards message group. All the expertise in comics is over the fence.

#4679 - 09/15/02 05:08 PM Re: MISSING MARVEL STAMPS [Re: deadlyembrace]
downgoesfrazier
I am gonna miss that car.

Loc: Summer of '77

DE,
Maybe you and I should take the 20 G's we have in our 77's and 62's and buy some "Hulk" ...Does it matter whose holder your comic book resides in?

77s

#4680 - 09/15/02 05:11 PM Re: MISSING MARVEL STAMPS [Re: deadlyembrace]
downgoesfrazier

DE,
Just thought I'd post again to tie your amount of posts
I'm one competitive SOB....
talk soon
77s

#4681 - 09/16/02 02:42 AM Re: MISSING MARVEL STAMPS [Re: downgoesfrazier]
deadlyembrace
The Venus Card Trap

Hm-m-m ... I think I'll leave comics to those who care about super heros. I never liked them (or read them) as a kid, but I have vivid recollections of putting '64 and '65 Mantle cards in the spokes of my bike. I also used to trade Aarons and Mays by the boat load to acquire the all-important Zoilo Versalles or Al Worthington or Jimmie Hall or Bernie Allen (remember by Twins connection?).

My, my, my how times have changed.

So while I didn't demonstrate the best card collecting judgement in my early years, card collecting is in this kid's blood. Can't help it.

#4682 - 09/16/02 05:27 AM Re: MISSING MARVEL STAMPS [Re: deadlyembrace]
downgoesfrazier

DE,
Didn't you even land a Killebrew in that deal...geez! I remember trading my 77 Morgan (coming off of two MVP's) AND my WS Summary AND my Ed Armbrister cards for Bill Madlock (just coming off his second batting title). Cubs cards on my block were key! I had to give up my Johnny Bench for the great Pete LaCock and Rick Monday! What's cool is I still HAVE THOSE CARDS!!! They're heavily handled with some tape marks on the back, but I still own my original 77 topps cards from my childhood. There's a John Verhoeven (my first card) and a Chip Lang that actually went through the washing machine and lived to tell about it. I love stories like yours...feel free to share more. I could read collecting stories like yours all day.
77s

#4683 - 09/16/02 05:35 AM Re: MISSING MARVEL STAMPS [Re: deadlyembrace]
downgoesfrazier

I almost forgot...Congrats to your Twins!!! Is this the earliest they've ever clinched?

#4684 - 09/19/02 01:17 AM Re: MISSING MARVEL STAMPS [Re: downgoesfrazier]
deadlyembrace
The Venus Card Trap

Hi 77s --

I wasn't ignoring your post ... it just took some time to accumulate this info. Since you asked, the following is the Twins complete history of clinching ...

1965 – The Twins first pennant was clinched on Sunday, September 26 with a 2-1 defeat of the Wash. Senators. Jim Kaat was the winning pitcher, and the win brought his record to 17-11. Following the win, the team’s record was 99-58 with only 5 regular season games remaining to be played.

1969 – The Twins clinch the American League West on Monday, September 22 by defeating the Kansas City Royals 4-3. With the win, Twins pitcher Bob Miller improved his record to 5-4 and the Twins team record improved to 92-61 with 9 regular season games remaining. The Twins lost the first ALCS to Baltimore.

1970 – The Twins clinched their second straight American League West title on Tuesday, September 22 by defeating the Oakland A’s 5-3. Following the win, the Twins record was 93-61 with 7 regular season games remaining. For the second straight year, the Twins lose to Baltimore in the ALCS.

1987 – On Monday, September 28, Minnesota clinched its first American League West title in 17 years with a 5-3 win over the Texas Rangers. The Twins duplicate the feat of the 1984 Royals by finishing first and scoring fewer runs than their opponents. They are the 3rd AL team to finish above .500 and score fewer runs than the opposition. Following this win, the Twins record improved to 85-72 with 5 regular season games remaining. Minnesota goes on to beat Detroit in the ALCS and St. Louis in the World Series. It is the franchise’s first World Championship since 1924 when they were the Washington Senators.

1991 – On Thursday, July 11, Minnesota took over first place in the American League West with a 7-3 whipping of Boston and held the Division lead for the remainder of the season. They clinched the American League West on Sunday, September 29 following a 2-1 loss to the Toronto Blue Jays. At day’s end, the team’s record was 92-63 with 7 regular season games remaining. Twins defeat Toronto in the ALCS and Atlanta in the World Series.

---------------

So, this season's clinching is the earliest in team history (since becoming the Minnesota Twins) ... all of which is probably more than any rational human being would care to know.

#4685 - 09/19/02 06:06 PM Re: MISSING MARVEL STAMPS [Re: deadlyembrace]
downgoesfrazier

... all of which is probably more than any rational human being would care to know.

DE,
Maybe, but who says we're rational! Great stuff. Thanks for the info. I really find the notes on the 87 Twins fascinating...they were actually outscored?!? I knew they were well below .500 on the trips, but geez...
77s

#4686 - 09/20/02 11:07 AM Re: MISSING MARVEL STAMPS [Re: downgoesfrazier]
deadlyembrace
The Venus Card Trap

... so long as you win by one more often than you get pounded by 20 ...

They stunk it up quite a bit that year, limped into the playoffs and were given zero chance to make it past the ALCS ... much less win it all.

But in describing the Twins home ballpark in 1987, Cardinal manager Whitey Herzog said, " ... the Homerdome, where baseball met bad science fiction. With that Hefty bag for a rightfield wall, that lunar-surface AstroTurf, and a ceiling that looked like the bottom of a UFO coming in for a landing, you felt like you were about to play America's game in a biodome on Mars."

hehehehe ...

The improbability of baseball, the notion that on any given day any underdog team can pull off the upset, and the fact that the Twins have the best "10th Man" in the game today ... their stadium ... give me hope for the approaching playoffs.

Page 1 of 2 12>

Moderator:  EARLSWORLD 
Hop to:
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible) and 6 anonymous users online.
Newest Members
klmnop450123, abcdef863349, vwxyz{570399, nopqrs004715, tjf092071
1963 Registered Users

Generated in 0.018 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression disabled.