Page 2 of 5 <12345>
Topic Options
#485 - 05/23/02 10:54 PM Re: Why did YOU select SGC? [Re: vayank]
Anonymous Unregistered

I am contemplating submitting my "tall boy" basketball sets to either SGC or PSA. Why would I choose SGC if the value ascribed to an equivalent PSA card is so much higher? I don't plan on selling the cards as I am indeed a long term holder. But why shouldn't I consider the resale value? Thanks.
#486 - 05/25/02 03:12 AM Re: Why did YOU select SGC?
vayank
The Amazing Card-Man

Loc: Alexandria, Va

I would absolutely consider re-sale price.

It is true that more often than not a PSA slab carries the highest premium. Along with things like service, quality, price, attractiveness of holder, re-sale value is one thing among many to be considered.

#487 - 06/09/02 07:33 AM Re: Why did YOU select SGC? [Re: vayank]
Anonymous Unregistered

To majority, re-sale value is why they get graded. If PRO had the highest resell value, people would be using them. I don't plan on selling my graded cards anytime soon, so I pay for that piece of mind. So, I'm sticking with SGC.
#488 - 06/12/02 08:31 AM Re: Why did YOU select SGC? [Re: vayank]
Fabfrank
(S)uper Collector

I use both SGC and PSA for grading and are happy with both. SGC strengths are in their holder, customer service and grading consistency. PSA strengths are in their name brand, set registry and to a lesser extent, grading consistency.
SGC trails PSA in their marketing efforts, which is why I think some of their card prices trail PSA's. I personally will not bid higher on a card just because of the holder. Eventually as more cards get graded, I believe the disparity between card companies values will narrow till there is no difference.

#489 - 06/23/02 08:01 PM Re: Why did YOU select SGC? [Re: vayank]
Anonymous Unregistered

I get my cards graded by SGC because of this, all members of itradecards.com get there cards graded by SGC for only $6.00 with no per card limits, and cards get sent directly to the VP of SGC, they make sure members of itradecards.com get well taken care of, SGC is the official graders for itradecards.com and all new members receive a free grading voucher.

at itradecards.com you might win 25 free gradings .

Join today, i did my screen name is auntjeaniecards

#490 - 07/01/02 08:43 AM Re: Why did YOU select SGC? [Re: vayank]
Anonymous Unregistered

For years, I submitted cards to PSA. I finally had enough of their (lack of) customer service and now submit my cards to SGC. I have been very happy with them.

That being said, I buy SGC, PSA, and BVG/BGS graded cards. I believe that these 3 companies are very solid and that their cards will hold their value in the long run.

There are alot of comments on the price that the holder brings -- I think that PSA is just a hair tougher than SGC (much less than half a grade)...so a PSA-8 usually gets more than an SGC-88...but less than a SGC-92. I don' t think that there is much debate about BGS/BVG -- they are really tough (especially on older cards)

Here's some research that I did using the on-line population reports for some of my favorite rookie cards -- since SGC doesn't do all the half grades, I had to group some grades to accurately compare. There are roughly the same number of cards for each listed below -- it may not be 100% accurate, but it was my best effort.

1954 Aaron: SGC average grade - 5.01, BGS/BVG average grade - 3.92
1955 Clemente: SGC average grade - 5.00, BGS/BVG average grade - 3.54
1963 Stargell: SGC average grade - 6.50, BGS/BVG average grade - 6.09
1965 Carlton: SGC average grade - 6.14, BGS/BVG average grade - 5.34
1968 Ryan: SGC average grade - 5.26, BGS/BVG average grade - 4.57
1973 Schmidt SGC - 6.50 / BGS/BVG - 4.53
1975 Brett SGC - 6.68 / BGS/BVG - 6.11
1990 Sosa (Donruss) SGC - 8.22 / BGS 7.96
1993 Jeter (UD) SGC - 8.04 / BGS - 7.78

Anyway, my opinion is that Becketts is 1-1.5 grades tougher than either PSA or SGC for vintage material....the difference becomes smaller for modern stuff.

My 2 cents!

#491 - 07/14/02 05:08 AM Re: Why did YOU select SGC? [Re: vayank]
deadlyembrace
The Venus Card Trap

Loc: Austin, TX

The very first slabbed card I bought was PSA-graded, and the experience was
enough for me to swear off PSA forever.

The timeframe was summer, 1998. I'd been collecting unslabbed cards for
many, many years, and had been attending card shows within driving distance
on an almost weekly basis. As a collector who had had his share of
disagreements with card dealers over the condition of cards that I was about
to purchase (the higher the subjective grade ... the more I had to pay for
the card ... and the less negotiating room I had), the value of a third
party grader was obvious to me. So I decided to collect slabbed cards
exclusively.

At the time there were only three REAL grading companies. PSA owned the
market. CSA was competing, but I noticed very few CSA-graded cards being
advertised in the hobby magazines or offered at card shows. SGC was the new
entry into the market. ASA was there but when you asked any dealer who
specialized in slabbed cards about ASA, they would laugh.

So after talking to lots of dealers and collectors, and doing my own visual
inspections of graded cards at shows, I finally bought my first card. It
was a 1968 Harmon Killebrew All-Star PSA 10 (no qualifiers) offered in a
Teletrade auction. I paid a premium price for that card ... sight unseen
... because it was a PSA 10 -- GEM MINT . That is, it was perfection as PSA defined it at the time.

When the card arrived, the first thing you noticed about it was the
unsightly, inch-long print defect that appeared immediately beneath the
words, "All Star" on the face of the card. There was no missing it as it
appeared as a white line on a black background. You can imagine how
thrilled I was at getting hosed like that. I swore off PSA from that moment
forward. Per Teletrade's policy, I could have returned the card, but instead
I kept it to show PSA-only dealers at shows. It was REALLY an eye-opening
experience.

I began buying SGC in July, 1998 and haven't looked back.

#492 - 07/14/02 11:09 AM Re: Why did YOU select SGC? [Re: deadlyembrace]
vayank
The Amazing Card-Man

Loc: Alexandria, Va

In grading, I don't think tough is what you should be looking for in a grading. Look for accurate and consistent.

#493 - 07/14/02 11:43 AM Re: Why did YOU select SGC? [Re: vayank]
deadlyembrace
The Venus Card Trap

Loc: Austin, TX

Hi vayank --

You must have been responding to Anonymous re: the "tough" comment. And I'd agree.

Instead of "tough graders", I'm satisfied that I've found a grading company that adopts stricter standards for a high-end grade and adheres to them consistently. In this regard, SGC has PSA (and all the rest) beaten hands down.

One other gold star to add to SGC's column: they can't be bought. That is, a high volume dealer, as a valued customer, can't coerce a half-grade or full grade higher on a card from SGC. I wonder if that's the case with many of the competition?

#494 - 07/18/02 10:20 AM Re: Why did YOU select SGC?
Anonymous Unregistered

I totally disagree that PSA is tougher than SGC. My experience is that at least 50% of PSA 8s would grade less than SGC 88. Take a random selection of PSA 8s (not just high end versions) and send them to SGC and see what you get. SGC 88s are very high end PSA 8s. There is no high end or low end of SGC grades because they are much tougher and much more consistent.
Page 2 of 5 <12345>

Moderator:  EARLSWORLD 
Hop to:
Who's Online
0 registered and 2 anonymous users online.
Newest Members
abcdef863349, vwxyz{570399, nopqrs004715, tjf092071, jakerazzle1
1962 Registered Users

Generated in 0.016 seconds in which 0 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression disabled.