Page 3 of 4 <1234>
Topic Options
#49091 - 01/30/03 11:29 AM Re: Update: another addition to SGC "benchmark" pricing [Re: MW1]
Anonymous Unregistered

"I am also going to recommend that the seller be booted"
MW1-Should this offense not result in immediate removal of the seller regardless?

#49092 - 01/30/03 12:04 PM Re: Update: another addition to SGC "benchmark" pricing
MW1
veteran

Anonymous,

The auction has been ended and the seller has been suspended. According to eBay's rules governing Seller Non-Performance, using an image that does not belong to you does not necessary result in suspension:

eBay Policy

Not delivering an item for which payment was accepted or significantly misrepresenting an item by not meeting the terms and item description that are outlined in the listing is prohibited.

Disciplinary action may result in a formal warning, temporary suspension, or indefinite suspension.

Also, under eBay's VERO program, if a violation has occurred, the auction in question will be ended but the seller will not necessarily be suspended.

If you would like to recommend further action against this seller (e.g., jail time as you suggest above), that is totally up to you.

#49093 - 02/24/03 01:53 AM OK, time for me to eat some crow [Re: MW1]
srs1a
Old, dense-headed hammers are cool. Best nail pounders.

Loc: NY

content Online
Previously, I posted that I didn't quite agree that SGC cards were commanding the greatest prices. MW1 showed data which made the case for "benchmark" cards, I posted some data that indicated that "common stiffs" were not quite following this trend.

Well, after a long weekend of getting absolutely pounded on eBAY, I have changed my tune. There were 2 large auctions of high-grade 1968T baseball that concluded this weekend -- the vast majority was SGC graded...and the final tally was.....drumroll please.....56 SGC-96 "commons" changed hands at an average price of $56.20! WOW....SMR is $30-35 (the spread is low#'s -vs- high#'s..and the last SMR that I have is 12/01...so this might have moved in a year).

The high card was #285 Dick McAuliffe at an incredible $235.83!!! This was not a simple case of 2 intoxicated bidders...3 bidders went over $200, and another bidder went over $100....further testiment to the fact that '68 Tigers have a very special appeal to some folks. Several other cards went in excess of $100 a pop and plenty went in the $70-90 range.

My head still hurts from the pounding that I took . I think I liked the "old days" better when I could pick up a 96 for 20 bucks.

Scott

#49094 - 02/24/03 10:30 AM SRA1: Another fine auction from DHCARDS [Re: srs1a]
estang
(S)uper Collector

I followed some of those auctions as well. They raised my eyebrows. I tell you that DHCARDS has some absolutely terrific cards and uses SGC as his top-grading company, although he mixes it up a bit.

Read this sellers "my ebay" and you will know that you are dealing with the best of the best.

He is so rich with knowledge that he even critiques the quality of a Mint graded card by noting centering, focus, coloring etc...

There was some 1969 Topps card of a Cardinals no name that he had sold in PSA or SGC 9 and then recently sold it as a PSA 8. Apparently this card must be the toughest of the tough to find in Mint because it was going for hundreds of dollars.

I've bought a 77 LeFlore from DHCARDS and it is simply sweet. I look forward to his auctions.

Erik

#49095 - 02/24/03 12:35 PM Re: OK, time for me to eat some crow [Re: srs1a]
MW1
veteran

Scott,

I don't think there's any doubt that 1950s and 60s SGC commons have appreciated noticeably since the SGC Set Registry was started. I too have noticed a dramatic increase in price for SGC 96s over the last month.

Anytime a 1966 Topps Sam McDowell #470 SGC 96 can sell for $128.50, that's a sure sign that commons and minor stars are beginning to take-off in SGC holders.

Link to auction

#49096 - 02/24/03 01:51 PM Re: OK, time for me to eat some crow [Re: srs1a]
aconte
Bid more or post more... tough one...

Loc: On The Beach....where else!

Scott,

I tried to reply at work but couldn't. Anyhow, great post. I hope you got some.
I noticed that some red man cards offered by Champs & Bums a few weeks
ago started slow and finished strong. Some times it does depend on the
auctions end date.

I've noticed the auctions from DHCards. His writeups are good. They seem
accurate too. He doesn't pull punches usually. It beats reading the usual
I don't know how this card got a 8. I've seen them go through great detail
in describing qualities and flaws in their auctions. This is one of the reasons
I like BMW's auctions too. They accurately describes their items with great
detail. Some others do too, but they are two that come to mind.

Erik,

The 69 card you speak of is #110 Shannon. It's supposed to be a tough
one. That and I think the big 1969 guys made sure it wouldn't go cheap.

aconte

#49097 - 02/25/03 12:56 AM Re: OK, time for me to eat some crow [Re: aconte]
srs1a

content Online
I agree with everything that everybody said about dhcards -- clearly a class operation. The incredible thing to me was that another seller (who I had never dealt with) did just as well (just_collect). This said to me that it wasn't just a case of everybody loving dhcards....but the market had changed.

Scott

#49098 - 02/25/03 03:50 AM Re: OK, time for me to eat some crow [Re: MW1]
srs1a

content Online
MW1 -- I just looked at the '66 auction you referenced.

The buyer is one of the gentlemen that made my weekend so stressful! I hope he posts his sets eventually, because they must be scorchers. I am sure that several other board members know the wrath of "blambro".

Scott

#49099 - 09/03/03 11:37 PM 1960 Topps Yastrzemski (SGC 96) sells for impressive price [Re: srs1a]
MW1
veteran

1960 Topps #148 Carl Yastrzemski Rookie Card - SGC 96

Link to 1960 Yaz auction

SGC 96 final selling price = $3400.00
SMR Value for a PSA 9 = $2600.00

***No recent data on PSA 9 sales***

Notes: The 1960 Topps Carl Yastrzemski is a very challenging card to find in better than NM-MT condition due to common left/right centering problems and the common incident of excess printing on the front. I chose this card as a mainstream indicator of market trends due to its status as the predominant early 1960s rookie card and its popularity among East coast hobbyists.

#49100 - 09/05/03 10:00 AM Re: 1960 Topps Yastrzemski (SGC 96) sells for impressive price [Re: MW1]
Fabfrank
(S)uper Collector

Mike- I was blown away by that card. 43 year old Yaz rookie that looks better than most cards pulled from packs today. Congrats on the sale.
Page 3 of 4 <1234>

Moderator:  EARLSWORLD 
Hop to:
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible) and 4 anonymous users online.
Newest Members
defghi104200, jklmno253672, hijklm176309, defghi521014, klmnop450123
1967 Registered Users

Generated in 0.018 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression disabled.