Page 1 of 4 1234>
Topic Options
#49071 - 01/15/03 10:21 PM SGC graded "benchmark" cards continue to gain in value vs. PSA
MW1
veteran

Is the perception that PSA graded cards sell for the highest prices accurate? Not during the past several months. Here are some recent examples of major rookie cards or "benchmark" indicators:

1955-56 Parkhurst #50 Jacques Plante Rookie Card.

SGC 92 value = $2555.
SMR value for a PSA 8 = $2000.
The typical range for a PSA 8 would be $1500 (low-end) to $2000 (high-end).

1963 Topps #537 Pete Rose Rookie Card.

SGC 88 value = $2500.
SMR Value = $1750.
Recent PSA 8 sales have been in the $1300 (low-end) to $1500 range (high-end).

1968 Topps #177 Nolan Ryan Rookie Card.

SGC 92 value = $1600.
SMR Value = $1100.
The typical range for a PSA 8 would be $900 (low-end) to $1200 (high-end).

As can be seen by these key examples, SGC cards -- even those from the 1950s and 1960s -- have overtaken the values for similar PSA graded cards. And with the drastic loss of confidence from the current PSA scandal, I expect this gap to widen.

For those who are interested in pricing more vintage SGC graded cards, here is an interesting article and list of key vintage sports card values:

http://www.bmwcards.com/ebay/Hobbynews3.htm

#49072 - 01/15/03 11:29 PM Re: SGC graded "benchmark" cards continue to gain in value vs. PSA [Re: MW1]
vayank
The Amazing Card-Man

Loc: Alexandria, Va

"BMW: All They Do is Score Touchdowns."

#49073 - 01/15/03 11:41 PM Just empty rhetoric [Re: vayank]
Anonymous Unregistered

Mathew,

Maybe I'm just frustrated. Not with SGC prices but with PSA rhetoric. I can't tell you the number of times I've heard "PSA cards from the 1950s and 60s sell for the most." Well, besides some select commons that a couple of set collectors go nuts on, where's the evidence? I tell you what -- I'm not seeing any. Where are those 1950s and 60s PSA star cards that are selling for so much? I'm seeing price levels at 60 to 80 percent of SMR on most mainstream issues.

On a more practical level, I think much of this rhetoric is generated by PSA collectors who have a large financial stake in the hobby (in the form of PSA graded cards) and they figure if they repeat a certain magical phrase enough times, it will become reality. Well, for nearly a decade, it has worked. But things are changing in this great hobby of ours. Collectors are becoming smarter and better able to discern condition. Those who collect vintage and modern cards want the highest graded examples, not the holders with the largest numbers. I don't think I've ever seen a vintage PSA 10 that compares to a vintage SGC 98....or a vintage PSA 9 that compares to a vintage SGC 96. It's no wonder that SGC cards have gained so much ground, and in many cases, surpassed the prices of similarly graded PSA material.

#49074 - 01/16/03 12:42 AM Re: SGC graded "benchmark" cards continue to gain in value vs. PSA [Re: MW1]
srs1a
Old, dense-headed hammers are cool. Best nail pounders.

Loc: NY

While I do not doubt the information that you posted, it isn't clear to me that this is the whole story.

For instance, if you look at vintage commons in high grade, you get the opposite answer. Here is some data that I collected and posted in December

Over the weekend a large, very high-end auction by dhcards on eBAY finished. The cards were incredible -- more PSA-10's and SGC-98 than you could shake a stick at -- most of them in the late 60's to early 70's.

My interest in in '68's and here are the statistics:

12 PSA-10 commons sold for an average price of $244! The high card went for $510 -- I was stunned.

11 SGC-98 commons sold for an average priceof $113, with the high card going for $254 -- not too shabby, but 2X lower that the PSA-10's.

This dealer had similar auctions that ran through the holiday season and the results were quite consistent with the above.

Clearly, the interest in high-grade commons is driven by set collectors...and the PSA set registry is more mature than the SGC registry. I hope the same thing happens to "lesser" cards that has apparently happened for "benchmark" cards, but I don't see any evidence of that today.

Scott

#49075 - 01/16/03 01:44 AM Re: SGC graded "benchmark" cards continue to gain in value vs. PSA *DELETED* [Re: srs1a]
MW1
veteran

Post deleted by dena
#49076 - 01/16/03 09:33 AM Re: SGC graded "benchmark" cards continue to gain in value vs. PSA [Re: MW1]
aconte
Bid more or post more... tough one...

Loc: On The Beach....where else!

I have tracked prices of red man cards from most completed auctions for close
to two years.

My data shows that on average Sgc and Psa graded red man cards sell for
close to the same multiple of Smr. There is really little difference. There is a market for cards in both holder.

Regardless, I try to buy the card and not the holder. It doesn't always work.
But as a collector that is what I'm trying to do. My 54 and 55 set are in Sgc
holders. Many of the cards are high end. I dealt with some great people
and some of the cards have been graded by both companies!

aconte

#49077 - 01/16/03 10:09 AM Re: SGC graded "benchmark" cards continue to gain in value vs. PSA [Re: aconte]
vayank
The Amazing Card-Man

Loc: Alexandria, Va

I think what separates BMW from other sellers is that BMW is fully committed to SGC, and they are not looking for excuses -- just ways to sell great product. They demonstrate what SGC brings to the table. Whereas some live out a self-fulfilling prophesy about re-sale value, which takes less effort, and really don't want to market hard, BMW understands how to market great products. Yes, SGC does take more effort in the marketplace, and yes, SGC is looking for ways to be better marketers, but many sellers are simply lousy marketers and they are quick to attribute their own failures elsewhere.

#49078 - 01/16/03 01:25 PM Re: Just empty rhetoric
Anonymous Unregistered

I have no ties to either company, and I can say that I am equally impressed with both SGCs and PSAs grading. Its the other companies that scare me away.
#49079 - 01/16/03 05:03 PM Re: Just empty rhetoric
MW1
veteran

In reply to:

**** C'mon people.....sell me your high grade GI JOES****

Can you fit them in small plastic slabs? I'll have to check before I sell you mine.

#49080 - 01/17/03 01:16 PM Re: Just empty rhetoric [Re: MW1]
SGCRULES
Learning the Ropes

Loc: Little Rock, Arkansas

I think he is here at SGC because PSA does not want his business for several different reasons that I will not get into.
Page 1 of 4 1234>

Moderator:  EARLSWORLD 
Hop to:
Who's Online
0 registered and 3 anonymous users online.
Newest Members
klmnop450123, abcdef863349, vwxyz{570399, nopqrs004715, tjf092071
1963 Registered Users

Generated in 0.017 seconds in which 0 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression disabled.