#495 - 07/30/02 05:16 PM Re: Why did YOU select SGC? *DELETED* [Re: vayank]
MW1
veteran

Post deleted by dena
#496 - 08/03/02 01:53 AM Re: Why did YOU select SGC? [Re: MW1]
vayank
The Amazing Card-Man

Loc: Alexandria, Va

A reminder about why I use SGC... I sumbitted 20 '77s on 7/15, they were shipped on 7/26 (a Friday after 5pm), in my hand on the 7/29. Great job. Shipped in 11 calendar days for commons service. Great price too...

#497 - 08/03/02 05:56 PM Re: Why did YOU select SGC? [Re: vayank]
downgoesfrazier
I am gonna miss that car.

Loc: Summer of '77

To me, nothing looks better on a '77 than an SGC holder. I like SGC's 92 option, the holder and the consistency. They're far from perfect, but so am I. PSA is slipping so badly in this department it's almost sad. It's an absolute crapshoot over there these days. Brutal. My 8's are technically stronger than my 9's, eye appeal is out the window...it makes submitting downright scary. Not a bash PSA session here-- there are good, competent people there-- just too many skateboarders looking at refractors just before my vending-fresh 77's hit the grading room. With the grading specials and all the bulk consistency suffers. It's also time to do something with that chicklet case with the ugly red label...I'm getting carried away...

#498 - 08/10/02 05:05 PM Re: Why did YOU select SGC? [Re: downgoesfrazier]
Anonymous Unregistered

77s-
Why do you think PSA is "slipping badly" lately? Did the standards change or did you fail to notice problems previously? Also, is it your grades your unhappy with or others? I'm a PSA (1980 and earlier) collector and I collect modern hockey in BGS 9.5 or higher. I've taken advantage of the great registry specials from PSA and have been confused by my grades recently. I'm considering an SGC invoice and know you do lots of late 70's collecting, what should I expect?

#499 - 08/11/02 12:58 AM Re: Why did YOU select SGC?
vayank
The Amazing Card-Man

(After posting, I decided my post was off topic and transferred it to a new thread. Sorry)

Edited by vayank (08/11/02 01:06 AM)

#500 - 08/11/02 04:58 AM Re: Why did YOU select SGC?
downgoesfrazier

Hello. First, why not get a username? If we know each other, I'd like to know who I am addressing. That aside, the reason I think PSA is slipping badly is that they are. Anyone that doesn't see that is either kidding themselves or a true novice in the hobby. It is a fact. Period. My 'salt' is coming back "9" and my perfect stuff is occasionally getting 8's. Further, my eBay retention of PSA graded material is a whopping 20%!!! Match that to nearly 75% of SGC stuff and you get the picture. For a couple of years I've been actually afraid of SGC because they are so strict. The fact that they have a 92 option makes that 9 hard to come by sometimes. My first SGC submission was graded so harshly I swore them off (My SGC 96 Steve Garvey is now the only PSA 10 currently in existence). Three SGC 92's were bumped to PSA 9 as well from that first 20 card experiment. Yet, a lot of die-hard PSA guys swear SGC is softer--again these are truly unenlightened hobbyists. Over time I've realized it is PSA with the problem of misgrading the cards. . SGC 96's are usually undeniably MINT baseball cards....The "92 option" as I call it is probably the reason. The fact that you're "confused" about your grades does not suprise me. Perhaps you could register a username and elaborate some. That would help me get a better feel for your needs in regards to grading companies. The true problem PSA may be having is simply too much business. They are doing bulk, bulk, bulk. Remember, they are public now and those shareholders need to see numbers. They're not giving $6 registry specials to help you out--they're hurting a little. That means fewer six-figure graders and more skateboarders looking at hours of die-cuts and refractors. If you're doing pre-80's...voila...confusing grades. The last thing I need is a guy grading UV coated, laser-cut, Sosa's just prior to a vending-fresh 77 that can't tell the difference. I just want it done right--the FIRST time...that is what you "should expect" from SGC. I will not respond again unless know who you are. Good luck.
77s

#501 - 08/24/02 06:50 PM Re: Why did YOU select SGC? [Re: vayank]
chuckster
Hobbyist

Loc: Louisiana

I currently buy PSA and SGC graded cards. I have found that SGC is consistent and I think they have a very attractive holder. I used to grade with BGS, but that has changed since I now focus on collecting vintage. To be honest, I have not yet seen a BVG card in person, so I can't really judge how they compare with PSA and SGC. SGC has great specials, and with the set registry coming I'm looking forward to having more of my cards graded with SGC.
#502 - 10/24/02 06:18 PM Re: Why did YOU select SGC? [Re: chuckster]
Anonymous Unregistered

Like most of you I like the holder. I only really collect Cincinnati Reds and buy PSA and SGC cards. I prefer SGC because they're cheaper most of the time. PSA overgrades the cards too. I agree with 77 on that. I consider SGC 92 cards as PSA 9. Does GA have half point grades?
#503 - 10/25/02 04:14 PM Re: Why did YOU select SGC?
downgoesfrazier

BRM,
Nope. No qualifiers either. I like that, by the way. I do think (on the grades that matter) the half point system is better than the full point, however. Cincinnati Reds, huh?
I've got some 77 and 78 Reds team sets from vending if you're interested. Centering varies, but they're real, real sharp. PM me.
77s

#504 - 05/21/03 08:06 AM Re: Why did YOU select SGC? [Re: downgoesfrazier]
vayank
The Amazing Card-Man

ttt

Page 3 of 5 <12345>

Moderator:  EARLSWORLD 
Hop to:
Who's Online
0 registered and 8 anonymous users online.
Newest Members
klmnop450123, abcdef863349, vwxyz{570399, nopqrs004715, tjf092071
1963 Registered Users

Generated in 0.103 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression disabled.