Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#50804 - 01/18/03 04:00 PM Derek Grady leaves SGC
mutantcollector
Collector

Derek Grady SGC's top vintage grader has left SGC and joined Mastronet. Any comment about this on the SGC board? Any comments from SGC?
#50805 - 01/18/03 06:46 PM Update [Re: mutantcollector]
MW1
veteran

Scott Hileman and Robert Luce are now the head graders at SGC

Scott Hileman and Robert Luce have been accurately grading vintage cards at SGC for quite some time. They are experienced and well-seasoned veterans of this hobby and will maintain the same great service that they are currently providing.

For my money, and I think experienced vintage collectors would agree, Scott and Bob are now two of the top three most talented graders in the business. Period.

All of SGC's graders of modern cards (accounting for the majority of all submissions) remain exactly the same.

Business as usual for SGC...

#50806 - 01/19/03 01:07 AM Re: Update [Re: MW1]
vayank
The Amazing Card-Man

Loc: Alexandria, Va

My feeling is that actual graders should be anonymous, if only for business purposes. When a grader becomes bigger than the company, everyone suffers but the grader. Graders come and go, but companies don't and neither should their reputations. When you buy a SGC card, you should have confidence, based on the company's long term performance, that you getting an accurate grade -- regardless of who is celebrity grader du jour.

Edited by vayank (01/19/03 01:07 AM)

#50807 - 01/19/03 01:23 AM hide ho! [Re: vayank]
Phatty
There's a fine line between clever and stupid - Spinal Tap

Loc: is phatty back?

gotta go with vayank on this one! btw, i'm a democrat. what do you think of that, vayank? i also grade cards. pretty good. got trouble getting my big 'ol fat hump in that grading chair, but i'm good. maybe too good. anyone need a grader?

oh yeah, mutantcollector reminds me of my former pet. a headless sewer rat.

GO BUCS!

#50808 - 01/20/03 12:22 AM Re: Derek Grady leaves SGC [Re: mutantcollector]
srs1a
Old, dense-headed hammers are cool. Best nail pounders.

Loc: NY

I think that this is unfortunate...but, I hope the net result is neutral.

IMHO, SGC has made tremendous strides in industry acceptance in the past several and, while many people must have contributed, a large degree of credit has to go to the head grader. Well done Derek Grady!

With that being said, I assume that Mr. Hileman and Mr. Luce have benefited greatly from their association with Mr. Grady and that SGC is well positioned for the coming decade. Congratulations and best wishes to Scott and Bob.

Scott

#50809 - 02/21/03 11:51 AM Re: Derek Grady leaves SGC [Re: srs1a]
srs1a
Old, dense-headed hammers are cool. Best nail pounders.

Loc: NY

As many of you know, I am building a SGC-graded '68 baseball set...mainly from my own submissions. My first large submission (150+ cards) was returned about a month before Derek left SGC. I was very happy with the results of this submission (roughly 25% 96's, 30% 92's and 30% 88's, 10% 86's and some other stuff) and was really concerned with Derek's departure...would their standards change significantly with his departure?

I am not a terribly trusting individual, so decided do a test before I sent another large chunk of cards to Parsippany. I carefully studied the cards that I had gotten back and submitted 11 cards covering the 84-96 range (at least what I thought it was based on the results of the initial submission). I spent several hours studying the cards and was very thorough and careful in my selection of cards.

I believed that I submitted 1-84, 2-86's, 3-88's, 4-92's and 1-96. I just got the results and I received 2-84's, 2-86's, 3-88's 2-92's and 2-96's. With one exception, every card was within a half grade of what I thought it was. The one exception was a card that I thought was a solid 88 and received an 84. I need to study this one further when I get the card back in my hands.

I was greatly relieved with this experiment -- to me, it clearly shows that this significant change in people at SGC has not changed their grading standards..and I was very happy to learn this.

Scott

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  EARLSWORLD 
Hop to:
Who's Online
0 registered and 10 anonymous users online.
Newest Members
defghi104200, jklmno253672, hijklm176309, defghi521014, klmnop450123
1967 Registered Users

Generated in 0.08 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression disabled.