Page 1 of 3 123>
Topic Options
#53035 - 01/23/03 10:10 AM MW-Is this really an 84(7)?
Anonymous Unregistered

I have absolutley no problem with SGC, I hate PSA. But how can this honestly be an 84? Even if the cornes are 96 sharp, that centering is atrocious. Is this typical with SGC. ebay link
#53036 - 01/23/03 12:47 PM Re: MW-Is this really an 84(7)?
Anonymous Unregistered

No comment from the peanut gallery. I guess you'll only get a response if you're slamming PSA.
#53037 - 01/23/03 12:58 PM Re: MW-Is this really an 84(7)?
Anonymous Unregistered

If the corners are NM-MT or better the card is deserving of an 84/7 grade. SGC is not the only grading company that would give the card a 7, SCD, PSA and Beckett (based on cards I have seen in their holders) would also give it a 7 or possibly even higher if the corners are truly mint.
#53038 - 01/23/03 03:07 PM Re: MW-Is this really an 84(7)?
Anonymous Unregistered

If PSA gives that card a 7, it's a mistake grade. The card is clearly outside the centering guidelines. I've rarely gotten the "benefit of the doubt" from PSA when it comes to centering. If a card meets all the other criteria for the higher grade but is not within the tighter centering tolerence specification, it usually gets the lower grade. For example, a NM/MT card with 68-32 centering will usually not get a PSA 8 unless it has tremendous eye appeal.
#53039 - 01/23/03 04:26 PM Re: MW-Is this really an 84(7)?
Anonymous Unregistered

In reply to:

I've rarely gotten the "benefit of the doubt" from PSA when it comes to centering.

That's because the name of your company isn't Sportscards Plus, Superior, Quality Cards or Mastro..

#53040 - 01/23/03 05:07 PM Reply to first post only
MW1
veteran

samsammy23,

While the 1975 O-Pee-Chee George Brett in the auction link is not well-centered, the size of the image can be somewhat misleading when measuring the left-to-right dimensions of the card. For instance, an image in .jpg or .gif mode (both compressed file types) at 72 dpi (screen resolution) can appear to shrink unevenly with respect to border width when it is reduced in size. Also, consider that this particular card is over-sized. Whereas some cards may be 30/70, this example is more on the order of 30/80 (I have not measured the card -- these are arbitrary figures only). Both of these factors can effectively contribute to an optical illusion on eBay.

Also, please keep in mind that this is only one card. Certainly, if I were to post a few PSA counterexamples, they would prove nothing except that occasionally a grading company might encapsulate something that raises a few eyebrows among some collectors.

Link -- PSA examples

#53041 - 01/24/03 04:46 AM Centering Questions [Re: MW1]
Anonymous Unregistered

I think the SGC 84 (7) Yount is centered well enough for a 7. However, I question the grades given on some sets with notoriously poor centering. I do not save scans like MW so I cannot post more scans but my question is does SGC grade more lenient in regard to centering on tough issues? The 57-58 Topps Basketball set and 61-62 Fleer are two sets that come to mind immediately.

Maybe this scan has been doctored by the seller but this example is real bad:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2703065792&category=16283

#53042 - 01/24/03 07:22 AM Re: Centering Questions
srs1a
Old, dense-headed hammers are cool. Best nail pounders.

Loc: NY

My experience is that SGC is not tremendously lenient on centering -- and if you look at their descriptions of the various grades, you will see that they are identical to PSA's (at least on the full grades).

I just went through an extensive x-over experiment -- and 2 of my PSA-8's (NQ's) would not cross over to SGC-88's because of centering. I was not real happy, but upon review, they made the right call. According to PSA standards, they should not have been straight 8's, either.

I think that it would help if they could more clearly articulate what they do about centering when it doesn't "cut the mustard". For instance, I crossed over a PSA-9OC and it became an SGC-86....it was not as badly centered as the one that started this thread, though.

Scott

#53043 - 01/24/03 12:31 PM Re: Centering Questions [Re: srs1a]
MW1
veteran

Scott is quite correct. Anyone who has submitted to both PSA and SGC knows that their standards for centering are quite similar. Anomalies may surface from time to time, but they are certainly not exclusive to one grading company.

The only thing I find confusing about centering is PSA's inconsistent application of the "OC" qualifier. Some cards have it, some cards don't. The "OC" doesn't ever begin to quantify the type of defect is qualifies and to purchase PSA graded cards based on inventory lists or another seller's oral or written description is difficult given this glaring inconsistency on PSA's part. Either they should qualify a card or they should assign an all-inclusive grade, not both and not in the inconsistent manner in which this standard is applied. Just my opinion...

#53044 - 01/24/03 01:14 PM Re: Centering Questions [Re: MW1]
Anonymous Unregistered

Thanks for the replys. I was just curious if this was typical for SGC. Now I know.
Thanks.
Chad.

Page 1 of 3 123>

Moderator:  EARLSWORLD 
Hop to:
Who's Online
0 registered and 8 anonymous users online.
Newest Members
defghi104200, jklmno253672, hijklm176309, defghi521014, klmnop450123
1967 Registered Users

Generated in 0.016 seconds in which 0 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression disabled.