Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#53439 - 01/24/03 01:32 PM Lawyer and publisher sues eBay and seller over libelous feedback
MW1
veteran

This topic was also posted on the CGC forum, but I think that everyone who has posted over there (thus far) hasn't properly addressed this issue.

Yahoo News Link

While it may be true that eBay simply provides a "platform" for e-commerce, there is no question that the seller of the magazines (Tim Neeley) should be held liable for his statements.

<< According to the lawsuit, Neeley said Grace "should be banned from eBay," and was "dishonest all the way" for alleging in the online forum that the magazines he bought had arrived late and in a worse condition than advertised. >>

I agree with the basis for this suit. All too often, retaliatory feedback is given with the direct intent of harming a buyer's or seller's reputation. In fact, this type of "knee-jerk" response has become quite common on eBay. Those who transact commerce on eBay should not only be honest in their business, but truthful in what they write about others. If someone can't take this simple responsibility, then maybe they should buy and sell elsewhere. Just because the buyer doesn't agree with how merchandise is graded, doesn't mean that the seller should be allowed to write anything in response and vindictively strike back with untrue or libelous feedback.

<< The lawsuit also demands that buyers and sellers, who use aliases in eBay transactions, register their screen names with the state of California as fictitious business names, and that eBay be forced to collect state sales tax. >>

Comments on the second part of the suit?

#53440 - 01/24/03 04:04 PM Re: Lawyer and publisher sues eBay and seller over libelous feedback [Re: MW1]
deadlyembrace
The Venus Card Trap

Loc: Austin, TX

Hi MW1 --

In reply to:

<< The lawsuit also demands that buyers and sellers, who use aliases in eBay transactions, register their screen names with the state of California as fictitious business names, and that eBay be forced to collect state sales tax. >>

Comments on the second part of the suit?

I hope his lawsuit goes down in flames SOLEY BECAUSE OF the second part of the suit. As soon as you start greasing the slippery slope of taxing internet transactions "here and there", every politician who enjoys spending other people's money ... (and that's EVERY politician) ... will come out of the woodwork or crawl out from under rocks ... or emerge from wherever they subsist ... in support of internet taxation as a way of generating federal tax revenues.

That could hamstring or kill internet auctions as we know and love them. Sure, the little guy can still buy ... but will the little guy be able to sell as freely and easily???

NOPE.

And of course, the cost of your purchases goes up by the amount of the tax. So while the average collector is in hot pursuit of the next highly graded star card or comic or Christmas ornament ... or whatever ... Uncle Sam will have his hand in your wallet.

Oh, you got my blood pressure sky high now!!! ...

#53441 - 01/24/03 04:15 PM Re: Lawyer and publisher sues eBay and seller over libelous feedback [Re: deadlyembrace]
MW1
veteran

I figured that second part would elicit some strong reactions. I agree with you -- this type of Internet taxation would be devastating to many. I can only begin to imagine how far its reach would be and how pervasive it would become if it were allowed.

In my opinion, the last part of this lawsuit could end up making the plaintiff very unpopular.

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  EARLSWORLD 
Hop to:
Who's Online
0 registered and 6 anonymous users online.
Newest Members
defghi104200, jklmno253672, hijklm176309, defghi521014, klmnop450123
1967 Registered Users

Generated in 0.016 seconds in which 0 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression disabled.