Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#54486 - 01/26/03 07:54 AM Do As Many People Resubmit SGC Cards as PSA Cards?
Anonymous Unregistered

Hello,
I read the CU board as well as this one. It seems on that board many people are resubmitting cards to PSA in the hopes of a better grade. I am well aware of how grading works. I was curious as to whether or not SGC people were resubmitting cards to SGC as well. It seems that people who submit to PSA have great luck of getting better grades. This can obviously lead to financial gains as well. The fact that PSA is gving out different grades on the same card really gets my goat. Is this typical of SGC too? BOTN on the CU board claims to resubmit about 600 cards a year. I find this comical. Any thought or insight would be appreciated.
Thanks.
Chad.

If A Card Is Regraded It Should..
Get The Same Grade
Get Close To the Same Grade-Subjective
Get The Same Grade-Objective
Who Knows? It's A Crap Shoot!!

#54487 - 01/26/03 08:29 AM Re: Do As Many People Resubmit SGC Cards as PSA Cards?
vayank
The Amazing Card-Man

Loc: Alexandria, Va

I do not re-submit cards, but I am a collector. Therefore the cash value of a card is mostly an abstraction. I have less incentive to re-submit. Higher grades bring higher prices so a dealer has a greater incentive to re-submit.

Also, be mindful that PSA uses a whole point system as opposed to SGC's half point system. Grading is intended to remove subjectivity through a professional third party. However a whole point system is far less precise and fails to remove subjectivity. You have grading gaps which dealers fill with hyperbole.

You routinely see sellers touting a "high end" 8 or 9 or whatever. You also see the phrase "strong" instead of "high end." The subjectivity is still there, but it is even worse since it is attached a grade issued by a third party. Dealer hyperbole gains credibility. With raw cards, you know you are dealing entirely with a sellers subjective, self-interested view.

The point is, even with the hype, a so-called "high end" 8 -- of course such a thing does not exist, it is a just an 8 but with SGC, that "high end" 8, if were truly "high end" would be accurately graded a 92. The more precise the grading, the less chance there will be of an over or under graded card. The less-precise whole point makes a higher rate of re-submissions inevitable.

#54488 - 01/26/03 08:34 AM Re: Do As Many People Resubmit SGC Cards as PSA Cards? [Re: vayank]
Anonymous Unregistered

MTN,
Thanks for the response. But do you resubmit SGC cards with the hopes of a higher grade?
Thanks.
Chad.

#54489 - 01/26/03 08:46 AM Re: Do As Many People Resubmit SGC Cards as PSA Cards?
vayank
The Amazing Card-Man

Loc: Alexandria, Va

No, I don't. Can't say I never would though. With a half point grading system, there is less chance of having the need to so.

#54490 - 01/27/03 07:09 AM Re: Do As Many People Resubmit SGC Cards as PSA Cards?
Fabfrank
(S)uper Collector

I don't resubmit cards. I find both companies tend to be right on the money when it comes to grading. Although many threads on the CU boards are about resubmitting and bad grades, I've been satisfied with all my submissions. The only cards that I would be tempted to submit for regrading would be PSA 7's. I believe whomever submits these cards is looking for 8's and just missed. To me, there is very little difference between 7's and 8's (except the price)
Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  EARLSWORLD 
Hop to:
Who's Online
0 registered and 4 anonymous users online.
Newest Members
klmnop450123, abcdef863349, vwxyz{570399, nopqrs004715, tjf092071
1963 Registered Users

Generated in 0.025 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression disabled.