Page all of 2 12>
Topic Options
#55324 - 01/28/03 03:17 PM Take a look at this eBay auction and tell me what you think
MW1
veteran

Link to Auction -- GAI 5 T205 Ty Cobb
#55325 - 01/28/03 03:59 PM Re: Take a look at this eBay auction and tell me what you think [Re: MW1]
SUPERPUNK_813
Learning the Ropes

I think i'd like to own that card in a SGC or PSA holder. I looked at a bunch of GAI cards at the national in Chicago this year and i hate the holder and the black on silver tag. I know of a few people that like GAI but there not for me.
#55326 - 01/28/03 05:04 PM Re: Take a look at this eBay auction and tell me what you think [Re: MW1]
Lothar52
enthusiast

Loc: Ohio, USA

in my dreams .........its the only place ill ever own one

lothar52

#55327 - 01/28/03 10:58 PM Re: Take a look at this eBay auction and tell me what you think [Re: Lothar52]
MW1
veteran

Does anyone think the cut on the bottom is a bit strange? Look closely.
#55328 - 01/29/03 12:36 AM Re: Take a look at this eBay auction and tell me what you think [Re: MW1]
srs1a
Old, dense-headed hammers are cool. Best nail pounders.

Loc: NY

MW -- the bottom cut certainly looks suspicious -- and the top/bottom edges don't appear parallel (bottom slants up). Before I got to your last post, I had focused on the left edge -- looks too clean to me -- especially given the top-left corner quality.

I do, however, love t205's -- man, they are pretty.

Scott

P.S. BTW, the seller is mwcards -- is that you (just kidding!)

#55329 - 01/29/03 01:33 AM Re: Take a look at this eBay auction and tell me what you think [Re: MW1]
aconte
Bid more or post more... tough one...

Loc: On The Beach....where else!

MW1,

I don't know the issue but the cut seems off. I would assume by the thread
that you believe something is not right with the card. I'll make some comments:

1) It seems well centered and very colorful.

2) I've seen worse T205's graded ex in Sgc and Psa holders.

3) I'm kind of familiar with this seller and his prices so the card will not
go cheap.

4) I would not buy it since I do not collect cards graded by other companies
other than Sgc or Psa.

aconte

#55330 - 01/29/03 03:05 AM Re: Take a look at this eBay auction and tell me what you think [Re: MW1]
nolemmings
Hobbyist

That bottom edge certainly looks off to me-- even looks like the holder's insert had to be adapted for the card to fit.
Generally, I have no problems with Mike Wheat's cards, but for the size of coin this card would command, I'd want some assurance of a refund if I was dissatisfied.

#55331 - 01/29/03 06:03 AM Re: Take a look at this eBay auction and tell me what you think [Re: nolemmings]
Lothar52
enthusiast

too much..good lord.. im just happy my 55 banks came today and its sweet

Lothar52

whos got that kind of money to spend on a card nowadays??

#55332 - 01/29/03 06:25 AM Re: Take a look at this eBay auction and tell me what you think [Re: MW1]
downgoesfrazier
I am gonna miss that car.

Loc: Summer of '77

Guys let's get a grip here. First of all, the card is being looked at through a holder AND on a computer screen. Second, the black insert DOES tend to skew things on the edges. This is a clear drawback of what I feel is an aesthetically pleasing holder. When I scan my GAI cards sometimes the edges disappear a bit Their black insert is snugger (is that a word) than SGC's. Third, whoever graded this copy had a much better look at it and has more than likely graded more of these than most of us have ever seen...Michael may be exempt as he has handled quite a few. You can love or hate GAI, PSA, DDQ, RSVP, or BYOB, but if the inference here is that the card is trimmed or altered in some way--at this point it sounds like a witch hunt. The card is probably legitimate--not for sure, but nothing that's purchased ALREADY slabbed ever is...regardless of who slabbed it. Just a fact of third party authentication--and no one is exempt of that.
Someone is going to win a pretty T card of a nasty dude.

#55333 - 01/29/03 06:41 AM Re: Take a look at this eBay auction and tell me what you think [Re: downgoesfrazier]
aconte
Bid more or post more... tough one...

Loc: On The Beach....where else!

77's,

You're right on all counts dude. It looks like a nice card.

If I collected the T205's I would pick it up if I new I could cross it to an Sgc
holder. The seller will never let this card go cheap and any extra cash
goes to other cards so that will never happen. I have seen some red man
cards look like they have funky left and right edges as a result of the scan.

Who knows? My guess is that if I aint got nothing nice to say that
you'd prefer I'd shut the pie hole. Huh?!

aconte

#55334 - 01/29/03 08:51 AM Re: Take a look at this eBay auction and tell me what you think [Re: aconte]
Anonymous Unregistered

Does anybody notice that all the BS about cards in other holders began when one certain person became an active poster. Bottom line is he has a vendetta against PSA and GAI because they DON'T WANT HIS BUSINESS.
#55335 - 01/29/03 09:14 AM Re: Take a look at this eBay auction and tell me what you think
vayank
The Amazing Card-Man

Loc: Alexandria, Va

There is nothing wrong with this thread. A card was seen on eBay, an experienced collector apparently thinks it is trimmed, a link has been provided and it is being discussed. Of course, we can discuss cards on posted on eBay with scans and we are free to express differing opinions. There is no flaming, no hyperbole. No one is engaging in ad hominem attacks, except for the anonymous posting above.

Edited by vayank (01/29/03 09:15 AM)

#55336 - 01/29/03 09:14 AM Re: Take a look at this eBay auction and tell me what you think
Lothar52
enthusiast

whatever..the dude has more cards and is a better expert then we ever will... personally i think he BMW kicks serious butt and he takes time to talk to the little collectors.. something most dealers DO NOT DO... for one... I TRUST HIS OPINION

SECOND POINT: ive dealt with PSA...they were unfriendly and the operator put the phone down and said i know nothing about cards... i know a crook when i see one i replied to that B%^%$.

Lothar52 - Ryan

#55337 - 01/29/03 10:29 AM Re: Take a look at this eBay auction and tell me what you think [Re: Lothar52]
downgoesfrazier

In reply to:

No one is engaging in ad hominem attacks,

Huh?

Yank, words for us commonfolk, please...

To be fair, Michael never said the card was trimmed. Just a discussion. I find the discussion to have an accusatory tone, however. My point is we can't just run around saying any card in another holder is automatically disqualified or cast as an altered copy. People are freaking out WAY too much on this stuff.

#55338 - 01/30/03 12:40 AM Re: Take a look at this eBay auction and tell me what you think [Re: downgoesfrazier]
srs1a

77s,

My lesson in trimmed cards was harshly delivered years ago in the form of 62T baseball -- Banks, Aaron AS and Mays AS -- all returned by PSA as trimmed. After my blood pressure returned to close to normal, I decided to try to learn from the experience. The one thing that I learned was, when suspicious, check for the degree of wear between the edges and corners -- which is not hard to do for cards with colored borders. The cards in question had georgous edges...but had real wear (not touches or nicks) in the corners -- I'm sure the edges did as well before surgery.

On a happy note, the local dealer offered me a full refund -- which I refused. He knew where the cards came from and stopped dealing with that individual. I still have the cards and use them as reference material.

As I thought about it, you are probably right -- a scan of a card through the holder is bound to obscure some things -- especially given the degree of contrast between the black sleeve and the gold edge. Depending on the resolution of the scan, it seems quite possible that any/all edge wear could disappear as a result of pixel averaging/sharing/whatever -- as you state is your experience. The grader had a better view than any of us.

I do love t205's and spend alot of time gazing at them.

Scott

#55339 - 02/13/03 04:50 AM Re: Take a look at this eBay auction and tell me what you think [Re: srs1a]
srs1a

Here's another interesting t-205....courtesy of the CU board. Scott

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2710477601&category=31718

#55340 - 02/13/03 05:51 AM Comments [Re: srs1a]
MW1
veteran

Let me see...how do I put this delicately?

One of three possibilities exists -- either the image was doctored, the holder was doctored or the person who graded the card needs to be doctored.

#55341 - 02/16/03 02:22 PM Re: Comments [Re: MW1]
downgoesfrazier

Holy Smokes!!!

Page all of 2 12>

Moderator:  EARLSWORLD 
Hop to:
Who's Online
0 registered and 5 anonymous users online.
Newest Members
jklmno253672, hijklm176309, defghi521014, klmnop450123, abcdef863349
1966 Registered Users

Generated in 0.021 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression disabled.