Page 2 of 2 <12
Topic Options
#55334 - 01/29/03 08:51 AM Re: Take a look at this eBay auction and tell me what you think [Re: aconte]
Anonymous Unregistered

Does anybody notice that all the BS about cards in other holders began when one certain person became an active poster. Bottom line is he has a vendetta against PSA and GAI because they DON'T WANT HIS BUSINESS.
#55335 - 01/29/03 09:14 AM Re: Take a look at this eBay auction and tell me what you think
vayank
The Amazing Card-Man

Loc: Alexandria, Va

There is nothing wrong with this thread. A card was seen on eBay, an experienced collector apparently thinks it is trimmed, a link has been provided and it is being discussed. Of course, we can discuss cards on posted on eBay with scans and we are free to express differing opinions. There is no flaming, no hyperbole. No one is engaging in ad hominem attacks, except for the anonymous posting above.

Edited by vayank (01/29/03 09:15 AM)

#55336 - 01/29/03 09:14 AM Re: Take a look at this eBay auction and tell me what you think
Lothar52
enthusiast

Loc: Ohio, USA

whatever..the dude has more cards and is a better expert then we ever will... personally i think he BMW kicks serious butt and he takes time to talk to the little collectors.. something most dealers DO NOT DO... for one... I TRUST HIS OPINION

SECOND POINT: ive dealt with PSA...they were unfriendly and the operator put the phone down and said i know nothing about cards... i know a crook when i see one i replied to that B%^%$.

Lothar52 - Ryan

#55337 - 01/29/03 10:29 AM Re: Take a look at this eBay auction and tell me what you think [Re: Lothar52]
downgoesfrazier
I am gonna miss that car.

Loc: Summer of '77

In reply to:

No one is engaging in ad hominem attacks,

Huh?

Yank, words for us commonfolk, please...

To be fair, Michael never said the card was trimmed. Just a discussion. I find the discussion to have an accusatory tone, however. My point is we can't just run around saying any card in another holder is automatically disqualified or cast as an altered copy. People are freaking out WAY too much on this stuff.

#55338 - 01/30/03 12:40 AM Re: Take a look at this eBay auction and tell me what you think [Re: downgoesfrazier]
srs1a
Old, dense-headed hammers are cool. Best nail pounders.

Loc: NY

77s,

My lesson in trimmed cards was harshly delivered years ago in the form of 62T baseball -- Banks, Aaron AS and Mays AS -- all returned by PSA as trimmed. After my blood pressure returned to close to normal, I decided to try to learn from the experience. The one thing that I learned was, when suspicious, check for the degree of wear between the edges and corners -- which is not hard to do for cards with colored borders. The cards in question had georgous edges...but had real wear (not touches or nicks) in the corners -- I'm sure the edges did as well before surgery.

On a happy note, the local dealer offered me a full refund -- which I refused. He knew where the cards came from and stopped dealing with that individual. I still have the cards and use them as reference material.

As I thought about it, you are probably right -- a scan of a card through the holder is bound to obscure some things -- especially given the degree of contrast between the black sleeve and the gold edge. Depending on the resolution of the scan, it seems quite possible that any/all edge wear could disappear as a result of pixel averaging/sharing/whatever -- as you state is your experience. The grader had a better view than any of us.

I do love t205's and spend alot of time gazing at them.

Scott

#55339 - 02/13/03 04:50 AM Re: Take a look at this eBay auction and tell me what you think [Re: srs1a]
srs1a
Old, dense-headed hammers are cool. Best nail pounders.

Loc: NY

Here's another interesting t-205....courtesy of the CU board. Scott

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2710477601&category=31718

#55340 - 02/13/03 05:51 AM Comments [Re: srs1a]
MW1
veteran

Let me see...how do I put this delicately?

One of three possibilities exists -- either the image was doctored, the holder was doctored or the person who graded the card needs to be doctored.

#55341 - 02/16/03 02:22 PM Re: Comments [Re: MW1]
downgoesfrazier
I am gonna miss that car.

Loc: Summer of '77

Holy Smokes!!!

Page 2 of 2 <12

Moderator:  EARLSWORLD 
Hop to:
Who's Online
0 registered and 7 anonymous users online.
Newest Members
defghi104200, jklmno253672, hijklm176309, defghi521014, klmnop450123
1967 Registered Users

Generated in 0.017 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression disabled.