Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#55485 - 01/29/03 04:27 AM Bowman Horrors of War and Wild Man Issues
stanthemanfan
If I just sell the car, I can up my bid...

Everyone

My main focus is certainly sports cards - but I have been becoming more interested in 1938 Horrors of War and '50 Wild Man Bowman issues. With the knowledge base of the members on this board - I was hoping to find out if anyone can give an accurate read on these sets in terms of scarcity, value, etc.

I buy 100% of my cards via internet websites or auctions - but I do plan on hitting some of the larger Midwest shows this year - should I expect to see any dealers selling any of these cards? I've just started investigating this sets - so I certainly haven't hit any dead-ends yet - but does anyone know of any reputable dealers who specialize in vintage non-sports.

Thanks

STMF

P.S. - Anyone see the recent prices on high-grade '50's Bowman - A 1950 Roy Sievers PSA 8 from the 1st Series went for $770 on Ebay. A 1951 Lary Doby SGC 92 went for $270 - nearly 1/10th of what MW1's 96 went for last year. Interesting. I didn't follow-up on the Teletrade prices - I wonder how the '55's faired.
I hope the SGC cross-over special will result in more vintage Bowman's hitting the web auction sites in the near future. If not, I hope they extend the cross-over deal beyond end of March to give me more time to buy other company's slabs and convert to SGC.

#55486 - 01/29/03 04:57 PM Re: Bowman Horrors of War and Wild Man Issues [Re: stanthemanfan]
MW1
veteran

STMF,

If you are collecting a Horrors of War set and condition is not a factor, you can very easily finish this set by purchasing singles on eBay. Over a one-year time period, just about every card will be available -- most for extremely reasonable prices. Group lots are usually exceptional values. HOW is one of the few times where you will save some dough if you buy the singles individually. This is especially true of a collector grade venture. It seems strange, but complete sets below EX always sell for fantastic prices -- usually well above what they are actually worth.

In Near Mint or better condition, completing the entire series of 288 is truly a daunting task. Gum Incorporated issued a factory set of the first 240 cards late in the print run and this makes the lower numbers more available in top grade. Off centering, print marks, registration problems and toning are all major obstacles to locating quality material. This is especially true of the last series (#'s 241-288), where significant amounts of wear become increasingly troublesome as there were no pristine factory set singles.

In general, the most challenging specimens in SGC 84 or nicer will be #1, #240, #277, #283 and #286. Also, make sure you act quickly if you can find #24, #25, #48, #49, #99, #192 and #193 and #241 in top grade. Personally, I have never seen anything better than an EX+ example of the last card in the series (#288). It will be one of the last cards that you will find if you decide to assemble a high-grade run.

Last year, we were very fortunate to acquire what is generally considered the finest set in existence. It was collated from an even distribution of more than 3,000 examples, all of which were accumulated by the original collector in the 1970s and earlier. Some of the cards were from the collection of George Moll. Later this year, most of these cards will be graded by SGC and listed on their Set Registry.

You might also be interested to know that there exists six original pieces of artwork which were never made into cards (see images or link below). Some of the drawings and colors are particularly vivid. These were also part of the find. As far as the other set (Wild Man) is concerned, make sure that you buy it complete, rather than purchase it card by card. There are sets available and you will save a lot of time and money if you do it this way. Just my opinion...

Link to Horrors or War original artwork -- large image

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  EARLSWORLD 
Hop to:
Who's Online
0 registered and 8 anonymous users online.
Newest Members
klmnop450123, abcdef863349, vwxyz{570399, nopqrs004715, tjf092071
1963 Registered Users

Generated in 0.014 seconds in which 0 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression disabled.