Page 2 of 2 <12
Topic Options
#55570 - 01/31/03 02:53 AM Re: A couple of comments [Re: MW1]
srs1a
Old, dense-headed hammers are cool. Best nail pounders.

Loc: NY

That is a beautiful card! I just had to wipe the slobber of my keyboard.

I collect Banks and have a PSA-7 of the same card, and I think an average Joe could see the difference from 30 feet.

And I agree that there is a significant difference that is visible to the naked eye between a NM, NM/MT and MINT example. My issue is between MINT and GEM MINT. My eyesight is apparently failing with age , because I am having increasing problems seeing the difference between a 92 and a 96, unless the 92 has a centering issue - but, with my trusty 10X Lupe, the difference becomes clear.

Scott

#55571 - 01/31/03 03:09 AM Well...maybe [Re: Lothar52]
MW1
veteran

In reply to:

When i make my sports room after i get out of med school... and iput my 55's, 56's etc on the wall... i believe my sgc 40 (remember it had the small fingernail impression to the left of banks ear (go look at the pic..do u see it?? NO) 55 banks will look just as good, be just as eye appealing..and look just as classic as the sgc 96 the guy payed 10grand for...

But the very next week, during that party that you and your wife decide to throw for some close friends, you find yourself "talking baseball" with one of your college buddies. Between a few drinks of the 1870 Chateau Lafite-Rothschild that you've just opened (which ironically cost you about the same as an SGC 96 Banks), the subject turns to baseball cards.

What's your best card, your associate wonders? Is it that 1954 Aaron that looks just wonderful from two feet away or is it that T206 Cobb that has frayed corners, even from a yard's distance? "No," you tell him, it's an SGC 96 1955 Topps Ernie Banks that is absolutely magnificent. Of course, your buddy is absolutely astonished as he holds the card close to his visage and exclaims that it couldn't have been any better if it were pulled from an original 1955 Topps wax pack only five minutes ago. "This man," he thinks to himself, "knows something about baseball and collecting!"

#55572 - 01/31/03 04:25 PM Re: Well...maybe [Re: MW1]
downgoesfrazier
I am gonna miss that car.

Loc: Summer of '77

Michael,
Couldn't of said it better. Collect what you like... and I like the very best of the best. Call it arrogant or anal, obsessive or just downright foolish--the BEST never goes out of style.
You know me pretty well...I think I'm capable of being all of these things. I am incapable, however, of allowing a sub-par copy into my set. You simply cannot overpay for the best if you have the means.
77s

PS: This DOES lead me to pursue cards in a few different holders--you can learn a lot in the belly of the beast...

#55573 - 01/31/03 05:00 PM Reply [Re: downgoesfrazier]
MW1
veteran

77s,

Absolutely correct. Thankfully, in this great hobby of ours, there's certainly enough room for collectors of high-grade and collector-grade vintage baseball cards to coexist. From time to time, there's even some crossover. I guess I can really see the issue from both sides (even though I may argue one more than the other). In a way, the collectors of presentable, but not perfect vintage nostalgia seem to gravitate more toward breadth rather than perfection -- to that extent, they are the true baseball historians of the hobby. The rest of us? We always check the lights twice when we leave a room. Anal retentive? No question about it.

Page 2 of 2 <12

Moderator:  EARLSWORLD 
Hop to:
Who's Online
0 registered and 4 anonymous users online.
Newest Members
vwxyz{570399, nopqrs004715, tjf092071, jakerazzle1, rstuvw197344
1961 Registered Users

Generated in 0.015 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression disabled.