Page 1 of 2 12>
Topic Options
#60559 - 02/10/03 12:48 PM SGC getting tired from the Set Registry Special?
stanthemanfan
If I just sell the car, I can up my bid...

I wondering what people's opinions are on SGC since the Set Registry special is now in its 3rd + month. I have noticed the following:

1. Online invoice appears to be out of date - or they have cashed my check and lost my cards. 1 of the 2 has happened on my latest submission.

2. Not pulling MIN grades. I recently got back a "failed to meet MIN grade" on a card that, hands down, beats nearly all of my SGC92's in my collection. And this is the SGC grade that I collect - so I have a very good idea of what an 88 and what a 92 looks like. My submission was about 1 week late - and I wonder if the loss of Derek is causing an overload on the remaining graders. Is SGC getting flooded with submissions at the current $3 cross-over rate that is resulting in cards getting the quick once-over and then out the door.

Anybody know what type of cross-over volumes are at SGC per month since the set registry special began? Has anyone seen an increase in SGC slabbed vintage on Ebay or other websites - I honestly have not. Are only private collectors crossing over cards or has there been a serge of dealers moving to SGC in light of the PSA concern.

Just so everyone doesn't think I'm blowing smoke on a border line cross-over that didn't go my way - I've attached a pic for reference. All four corners are pins! - the picture doesn't do the card justice. Its in a recently graded PSA holder.

STMF

#60560 - 02/10/03 01:30 PM Re: SGC getting tired from the Set Registry Special? [Re: stanthemanfan]
aconte
Bid more or post more... tough one...

Loc: On The Beach....where else!

STMF,

I don't see the pic.

Some good questions. I've crossed over about 12 cards or so with out of
15 cards. Three did not cross over. Two they weren't positive on. One card
was considered trimmed. YIKES! And they were for my personal
collection and the cards were originally graded by Psa.

Some of the other questions can probably be answered better by Sean or
someone at Sgc.

Good luck,

aconte

#60561 - 02/10/03 05:09 PM Re: SGC getting tired from the Set Registry Special? [Re: aconte]
stanthemanfan

aconte

Sorry, I posted and shut-down the computer. I'll try again with the attachment.

STMF

Attachments

#60562 - 02/10/03 05:31 PM Re: SGC getting tired from the Set Registry Special? [Re: stanthemanfan]
MW1
veteran

Stan,

Great card! Awesome centering!

I see just a touch of wear on the top left and lower right corners. Perhaps that's the reason for an 88 and not a 92. Then again, it's really tough to tell from the image. Can you do a blow-up of each corner?

#60563 - 02/10/03 07:18 PM Re: SGC getting tired from the Set Registry Special? [Re: stanthemanfan]
Lothar52
enthusiast

Loc: Ohio, USA

stanthemanfan.. what ever happend with that PRO Rizzuto you sent in??

Lothar52

#60564 - 02/10/03 07:28 PM Re: SGC getting tired from the Set Registry Special? [Re: MW1]
stanthemanfan

MW1

Thanks - it is a beauty. The '65 Koufax in high grade is pretty tough to find. This one is extra nice.

I will add zooms of each corner for your review tonite.

#60565 - 02/10/03 07:29 PM Re: SGC getting tired from the Set Registry Special? [Re: Lothar52]
stanthemanfan

Lothar

Trimmed to perfection!!

STMF

#60566 - 02/10/03 07:45 PM Re: SGC getting tired from the Set Registry Special? [Re: stanthemanfan]
stanthemanfan

I want to put it back on Ebay and try and get a few bucks back for it, but my wife keeps on giving me the "don't be a dirt bag" speech. My only option is to frame it - but I'm not even all that excited about having an altered card hanging on my wall. A $100 dollar lesson-learned. With all that's going on with WIWAG/PSA - I don't think I can complain too much.

Switching subjects - GAI grading when crossing over to SGC. I've been a bit disappointed on their 8's. They really are not all that sharp. The 1950 Bowman's I sent in all came back as 86's (which isn't bad), but I think I got the benefit of the doubt from the guys in NJ.

I'm not going to be as aggressive on my bidding on GAI cards - as I think their grading standards are not on the same plane as SGC.

What have other people experienced with GAI.

STMF

#60567 - 02/10/03 09:18 PM Re: SGC getting tired from the Set Registry Special? [Re: stanthemanfan]
MW1
veteran

STMF,

I have experienced exactly the same thing with GAI. I think that SGC is, on average, about half a grade tougher. I'm not sure if GAI was/is giving out easy grades to attract customers or PSA dealers, but it sure seems as if they have let quite a few cards slide by...at least from what I've seen.

As for the Rizzuto that you're discussing with Lothar, I really don't see a problem with reselling it -- as long as it's not in a PRO holder or as long as you mention in the description that the card is altered. As you might already know, I have sold PSA graded cards that were trimmed as well as professionally restored cards in a raw state and they seem to do quite well. On each altered item I sell, however, I PLAINLY state that it has been altered. I think there are many budget conscious collectors out there who don't mind purchasing cards with minor alterations -- especially if the price is right. Put the raw card on eBay and be honest about the trimming. I bet you'll recover a fair portion of what you paid for it.

#60568 - 02/11/03 01:34 AM Re: SGC getting tired from the Set Registry Special? [Re: MW1]
Lothar52
enthusiast

Loc: Ohio, USA

how do you pop open a PRO holder?

Lothar52

Page 1 of 2 12>

Moderator:  EARLSWORLD 
Hop to:
Who's Online
0 registered and 4 anonymous users online.
Newest Members
klmnop450123, abcdef863349, vwxyz{570399, nopqrs004715, tjf092071
1963 Registered Users

Generated in 0.017 seconds in which 0 seconds were spent on a total of 16 queries. Zlib compression disabled.