Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#63217 - 02/13/03 08:32 AM Observation / question on SGC holders
estang
(S)uper Collector

Today I received a 1977 Topps Fran Tarkenton SGC 96 in the mail today, and just completed the edit to my set on the SGC Registry (see my registry under 1977 Topps Vikings...file is too big for this message board).

I noticed something for the 1st time today, in regards to the SGC holder that is somewhat visible on my scan. I've noticed it on some other cards in the registry, even MW1's '37 Cracker Jack. It appears that there are imperfections in the holder visible when looking straight at the card from front or back. It is the "clear" plastic that surrounds the black frame. More specifically, it looks like fingerprints or stress indentations when the card is being slabbed. The Tarkenton has 2 on the bottom middle, surrounding the usual rough line on the bottom edge. Then there is one on the upper middle/left. I then have 4 on the left side with a large one on the upper left. Finally, there is one noticable one on the right middle.

What are these things. I'd really like a technical answer from SGC.

Just the fact that I noticed them is a detraction from the card. I'm pro SGC, don't get me wrong. However, I think SGC needs to fix this, and it strengthens my perception that BVG/BGS has the highest quality holder in the market (and the highest prices).

Open to feedback and explanations. Sean from SGC?

Erik

#63218 - 02/14/03 03:06 AM Re: Observation / question on SGC holders [Re: estang]
SeanSGC
Everything SGC

Loc: NJ

Erik,

Thank you for the question. I have looked at the scan of the Tarkenton card. What I believe you are describing is what we call "melt" This is not a technical term, but the process of sonic sealing involves, in this case, two separate pieces of plastic joining together to form a weld. The SGC holder is made up of two pieces of plastic. One piece has a protruding ridge or bead of plastic throughout the perimeter of the piece. The other piece has a well and when the two pieces are sonically sealed the plastic ridge or bead melts into the well and forms a seal. This melting of the plastic can create a cloudy or frosted appearance around the sealed area. I hope this information is helpful to you and if you have any other questions please feel free to ask.

Regards,
Sean Skeffington-SGC

#63219 - 02/15/03 01:03 AM Thanks for the explanation [Re: SeanSGC]
estang
(S)uper Collector

I appreciate it.

Erik

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  EARLSWORLD 
Hop to:
Who's Online
0 registered and 4 anonymous users online.
Newest Members
klmnop450123, abcdef863349, vwxyz{570399, nopqrs004715, tjf092071
1963 Registered Users

Generated in 0.015 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression disabled.