Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#64910 - 02/17/03 10:47 AM tobacco niche, with pictures
bcornell
Learning the Ropes

I finally learned how to post here, thanks to some hand-holding from SGC. Proud to say that I have a commanding (i.e., unopposed) lead in the T204 Ramly and T207 sets and a respectable 2nd with the T205 set. I've posted scans with all of the sets below.

Go SGC!

T204

T205

T207

#64911 - 02/17/03 11:18 AM Re: tobacco niche, with pictures [Re: bcornell]
aconte
Bid more or post more... tough one...

Loc: On The Beach....where else!

Great sets. I especially like your t207 set. Some nice cards for sure!
Good luck with your sets.

aconte

#64912 - 02/17/03 12:06 PM Re: tobacco niche, with pictures [Re: bcornell]
MW1
veteran

bcornell,

Some great cards! I especially like your SGC 60 Cobb -- that and the T205 Joss have always been two of my favorites in that series.

A pretty impressive start on the T207 set. I wonder if I'll be able to finish my 37 O-Pee-Chee set before you complete that one. I have a feeling that there will be a few cards that will be extremely difficult to find....same for the Ramly set. Best of luck and happy collecting!

Incidentally, I've got an SGC 50 T205 Jiggs Donohue that needs a good home. If you haven't filled that hole yet, PM me with your address and I'll send it to you.

#64913 - 02/17/03 12:24 PM Re: tobacco niche, with pictures [Re: MW1]
bcornell
Learning the Ropes

Thanks, aconte!

MW - O-Pee-Chee? I always wondered how our Canadian neighbors derived that name... is it supposed to be phonetically like "Oh, peachy!"? I've been lurking here for a while and can only admire your non-baseball accomplishments.

The SGC 60 Cobb is a replacement for a copy I had for a mere 23 years. Sold it on eBay recently when I bought mine from the recent Festberg auction (!). T205 is one of the few tobacco sets that I think is achievable, along with T200, T201 and T206 (minus the Big Fellas, of course), assuming that one is willing to shell out for them. Most of mine were raw cards that I submitted myself - nice to get the grades you expect when you send 'em in.

I have no hopes of finishing T204 or T207. Ramly was a set ahead of their time, I think - no scarcities and very few print problems. Too expensive to complete, however. T207's are just impossible, as you probably know - for every 10 Milans there are 9 Wolvertons, 7 McLeans, 5 Needhams, 1 Butcher, etc. I'll note that my crossovers from PSA have gone horribly, horribly wrong: I've submitted 3 6's and a PSA 7 o/c and not one of them has gotten an equivalent grade... not that I'm complaining too loudly. When I lay all the SGC cards out side by side, I'm still amazed how consistent the grading is between them.

#64914 - 02/17/03 12:36 PM Re: tobacco niche, with pictures [Re: bcornell]
MW1
veteran

I'll note that my crossovers from PSA have gone horribly, horribly wrong: I've submitted 3 6's and a PSA 7 o/c and not one of them has gotten an equivalent grade... not that I'm complaining too loudly. When I lay all the SGC cards out side by side, I'm still amazed how consistent the grading is between them.

Somehow, I have to believe that if I said the same thing, I'd be accused of taking a chainsaw into the PSA forest (where's the hobbystump when you need him?)

I have long believed that the T207 series is one of the most attractive and eclectic baseball series ever produced. Add to that the relative scarcity (short printing) of some of the cards and you have a truly noteworthy vintage issue -- much more so than the unappealing way in which most publications and price guides frame it.

#64915 - 02/17/03 01:50 PM Re: tobacco niche, with pictures [Re: MW1]
bcornell
Learning the Ropes

In reply to:

Somehow, I have to believe that if I said the same thing, I'd be accused of taking a chainsaw into the PSA forest (where's the hobbystump when you need him?)

Ah, the Hobby Stump... where's that sage when you need him? Admittedly, he can be a bit cryptic, but many (okay - a few) have benefited from his wisdom. FYI - I'm preserving my own 1st Amendment rights by staying far away from the CU crowd. Zardoz to the rescue!

I have partially mixed feelings re: T207. The set gets badly maligned by collectors - "ugly", "weird", etc., and one look at the gothic Walter Johnson card and I can feel their pain. The SCD catalog continues to trash the set in their short blurb on it. But there are some truly beautiful cards in the set (Tannehill, Fletcher, Otto Miller come to mind, off the top of my head) and I've found that seeing is believing - when you have one of the cards in your hands, you can appreciate the ambitious novelty of the set. I consider every one I pick up now to be a small triumph.

#64916 - 02/19/03 03:24 AM Re: tobacco niche, with pictures [Re: bcornell]
srs1a
Old, dense-headed hammers are cool. Best nail pounders.

Loc: NY

Hello bcornell and welcome! It's nice to have one of the T- collectors on the board. Again, welcome and I look forward to viewing your sets.

Scott

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  EARLSWORLD 
Hop to:
Who's Online
0 registered and 4 anonymous users online.
Newest Members
jklmno253672, hijklm176309, defghi521014, klmnop450123, abcdef863349
1966 Registered Users

Generated in 0.016 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression disabled.