Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#68088 - 02/26/03 01:18 AM Ebay prices?
vintagecollector
Learning the Ropes

Hello,

To all you SGC experts. Why do SGC cards generally sell for less money than those of the "other" company? I agree they have a better holder, customer service, pricing, etc etc, but still usually sell for less. I do not understand this.

Input on this would be interesting, especially from MWcards and the other vets here.

#68089 - 02/26/03 01:23 AM Re: Ebay prices? [Re: vintagecollector]
deadlyembrace
The Venus Card Trap

Loc: Austin, TX

Check out the ...

"SGC graded "benchmark" cards continue to gain in value vs. PSA"

... thread under the Cards General section of these boards. There has been ample discussion of your topic there.

Welcome aboard.

#68090 - 02/26/03 09:59 AM Answer *DELETED* [Re: vintagecollector]
MW1
veteran

Post deleted by dena
#68091 - 02/26/03 11:09 AM Re: Answer [Re: MW1]
Fabfrank
(S)uper Collector

MW1 and have written about this on another thread. Many of his points are valid. I've felt that Becketts tiered pricing on graded cards was the main reason SGC card prices began to slip. By valuing SGC cards less than PSA and Beckett (what a surprise!), lower SGC prices became a Beckett fulfilled prophecy.
But as MW1 has stated, savy collectors have realized this and are buying great SGC at bargain prices.

#68092 - 02/27/03 03:51 PM Re: Answer [Re: Fabfrank]
vintagecollector
Learning the Ropes

Thans for the info guys. I am almost ready to make the change in companies. One issue that i question is it seems that SGC is more liberal with centering and looking at EBAY I find several 88's with what I consider questionable centering. As for Beckett guides I don't understand why people continue to buy their garbage. The prices are so out of date by the time they are printed. I think the better more accurate guide is to simply search past auctions.

Any input on the centering issue would be appreciated.

VC

#68093 - 02/28/03 01:15 AM Re: Answer [Re: vintagecollector]
srs1a
Old, dense-headed hammers are cool. Best nail pounders.

Loc: NY

Hello VC and welcome to the board!

If you look at both websites, you will see that their published centering criteria are identical (60/40 for MINT, 65/35 for NM/MT, etc with a 5% allowance if the card is very strong otherwise). So, technically, a card can be NM/MT with a centering of 70/30 (both companies). To my eye, 70/30 is OC! IMHO, eye appeal and technical grade can be very different things, so a scan is always desirable.

I would also add that I believe that SGC's policy on centering has evolved in time (my understanding is that this was associated with a transition in head graders), so you need to be more careful when the card is in an old-style holder. I believe that this created an initial impression in the collecting world that SGC was "easy" on centering...and first impressions are tough to break. That being said, I am also alot more careful with a PSA card when it has the old-style (PSA) hologram in the back. Both companies policies have evolved over time and I believe that they are pretty similar today.

Comments anyone?

Scott

#68094 - 02/28/03 03:49 AM Re: Answer [Re: srs1a]
aconte
Bid more or post more... tough one...

Loc: On The Beach....where else!

I agree with srs1a's comments.

I usually pass on buying any Sgc cards in the very old holders. The quality
of these items is often uncertain. As far as Psa, I'm starting to
have concerns with some of their newer holders. Even though I don't
have a large sample size I'm worried some red man cards that are
recently graded should not. This probably only applies on certain
odd ball or pre war cards. Time will tell. I might be following up on my issue
by this summer's National.

aconte

#68095 - 02/28/03 05:53 AM Centering standards & more *DELETED* [Re: vintagecollector]
MW1
veteran

Post deleted by dena
#68096 - 02/28/03 06:13 AM Urban myth? [Re: MW1]
theBobs
Hobbyist

"One issue that i question is it seems that SGC is more liberal with centering"

If one reads the CU board, every card in a SGC holder is o/c. If one reads the dugout board, every card in a PSA holder is grossly mislabeled. Etc.

Urban mythes...

Also, the problem I have with PSA right now is they seem to either be grossly overgrading or undergrading the cards. I don't mind conservative or liberal standards, as long as they are always applied.

Consistency is the key. GAI and SGC seem to be winners in this area right now.

#68097 - 06/11/03 10:08 PM Re: Answer [Re: Fabfrank]
autobilia
Just got here

Yep. As you may notice in this hobby, people go after what is popular and go with the flow instead of doing their own homework and research. When it comes to SGC vs. PSA/BGS, it has nothing to do with quality that affects prices. It's about marketing. PSA had the authorized dealers backing them which drove up the prices and BGS used their price guide as a strong hold. Time is deteriating both. Out of the 20 graded cards I've ever owned, 19 were SGC and 1 PSA (only bought it because I couldn't find a SGC graded one). When buying, I only buy SGC and love the bargains I find because of people jumping on bandwagons (PSA to BGS and some then to GAI). As long as SGC keeps doing what they are doing, I will only buy and send to get graded SGC cards. I don't get stuff graded for investment, but to keep for my personal collection. But in time, if I do decide to sell my vintage, whatever they sell for, I will have no regrets.

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  EARLSWORLD 
Hop to:
Who's Online
0 registered and 6 anonymous users online.
Newest Members
defghi104200, jklmno253672, hijklm176309, defghi521014, klmnop450123
1967 Registered Users

Generated in 0.018 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression disabled.