Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#68331 - 02/26/03 09:18 AM Help: question on "fuzzy" edges & affect on grading
estang
(S)uper Collector

Maybe this is what people refer to as a vending cut; not sure. I recently purchased a graded 1977 Topps Tarkenton (on set registry) that was an SGC 96. I also bought from the same dealer some raw 1977 Topps cards that I'm thinking of sending in for grading. They are real nice. Minimum 88, Likely 92 Possibly 96.

My question has to do with "fuzzy" edges (NOT corners). The edges have "micro fibers" of the cardboard that sprout out. It isn't blatant; only under close scrutiny. Now the Tarkenton SGC 96 has this on one edge. I have another 1977 Topps SGC football card of Jim Marshall that is a 96 but without the fuzzy edges.

First, do you know what I'm talking about without a picture. Second, how does this affect the grade. This is a factory cut resulting in fuzziness, not wear. The cards have NM/MT or Mint corners and centering is 55/45 or better with no print flaws. The only perceived flaw are these edge, which are generally on the sides not bottom or top. What is the deal here. I'd like to know before I send in the cards.

I need an expert opinion here.

Many Thanks!

Erik

#68332 - 02/26/03 09:55 AM Re: Help: question on "fuzzy" edges & affect on grading [Re: estang]
nolemmings
Hobbyist

Erik
I think you'll be fine if the cuts are as you described--not that uncommon from that era.
Todd

P.S. Like your sig line, but don't forget Danny Thompson either-- a class guy.

#68333 - 02/26/03 03:37 PM Re: Help: question on "fuzzy" edges & affect on grading [Re: estang]
downgoesfrazier
I am gonna miss that car.

Loc: Summer of '77

The thing to look for is missing enamel or card stock at the corners...under magnification the corners look "mushy" or missing. I have submitted a fair amount of that year to PSA and SGC and have found SGC to be more forgiving of the fuzz and mush. The fuzz doesn't bother me one bit. The card looks uncirculated...vending-fresh...

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  EARLSWORLD 
Hop to:
Who's Online
0 registered and 4 anonymous users online.
Newest Members
abcdef863349, vwxyz{570399, nopqrs004715, tjf092071, jakerazzle1
1962 Registered Users

Generated in 0.034 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression disabled.