Page all of 3 123>
Topic Options
#69104 - 03/01/03 03:08 AM Merger?
uniship
Learning the Ropes

There are rumors flying that GAI is going to buy/merge with SGC. I don't know if this is true or not but I was wondering if any of you have any related facts. Please share if so. Thanks.
#69105 - 03/01/03 03:46 AM Re: Merger? [Re: uniship]
theBobs
Hobbyist

Read Davilillo's post here http://forums.collectors.com/messageview.cfm?catid=37&threadid=171434
#69106 - 03/01/03 05:34 AM I'd have to say that it would make sense [Re: theBobs]
estang
(S)uper Collector

However, if it happened I think that it would create some frustration for us looking to slab or have slabbed in SGC. Doesn't bode well for having a consistent looking set. I think that they'd have to do free cross-overs for the SGC cards (not like they'd have to but should do something generous).

The SGC set registry is great and so is this board. The problem is that it is too sparse. Didn't SGC just lose a top-grader to GAI? Doesn't SGC have a parent company that grades coins, comics etc... I think SGC has built a good reputation and business, but it needs more marketing and pizzazz. I think GAI could offer that.

Man, I'm just about to send in a bunch of cards to SGC for grading. Now I'm having second thoughts.

Erik

#69107 - 03/01/03 06:09 AM Re: I'd have to say that it would make sense [Re: estang]
srs1a
Old, dense-headed hammers are cool. Best nail pounders.

Loc: NY

I suppose we will all know the whole story soon enough. As many of you know, this has been a persistent rumor for several months now.

Erik -- yes, SGC's parent also grades comics and coins. No, SGC didn't lose its head grader to GAI -- he went to Mastronet, the auction house.

Time will tell,

Scott

#69108 - 03/01/03 10:43 AM An explanation [Re: srs1a]
MW1
veteran

To all:

It is a known fact that Steve Rocchi from GAI can really tell some fish stories. I believe that is the source of this silly rumor. Hope that clears things up!

Edited by dena (09/19/05 06:02 AM)

#69109 - 03/01/03 12:50 PM Re: An explanation [Re: MW1]
jackstraw
Talkative?

Loc: @ a Baseball Card Show

if there was a merge do you think we could talk sgcgai into changing the flips?i love the sgc holder design but i can't stand the flips. i wish they would do something about them either way.

#69110 - 03/01/03 01:27 PM Re: An explanation [Re: jackstraw]
MW1
veteran

Bouffard,

What don't you like about the SGC labels? I think "green" is a much safer color right now than "red"....if you know what I mean.

#69111 - 03/01/03 02:05 PM Re: An explanation [Re: MW1]
jackstraw
Talkative?

green is definitly safer right now .
what i don't like about the sgc flips? well i may be big time anal but i can't stand the web address at the top.i can't stand the split grade. i also hate the fact that they have to put sgc llc in front of the serial number. call me anal but you asked.
ways that i think they can improve.i think a simple sgc centered at the top in the green. lose the split grade use one or the other. i like the the black sleeve but i think there could be some improvement in that department.

#69112 - 03/01/03 02:36 PM Re: An explanation [Re: jackstraw]
MW1
veteran

Bouffard,

I have to admit, I didn't like the 1-100 grading scale at first either, but over the last two years, it has really grown on me. In fact, I think the added precision is one thing that really separates SGC from other grading companies that only have the 1 to 10 scale. I think the SGC scale is great once you get used to it.

As for the web address, that could be construed as advertising, but it also directs customers to the proper location on the Internet. In that respect, I think it's very helpful to some -- especially with the SGC pop reports, SGC invoice check, SGC set registry and SGC price guide all online.

#69113 - 03/01/03 03:05 PM Re: An explanation [Re: MW1]
aconte
Bid more or post more... tough one...

Loc: On The Beach....where else!

I think the Sgc holder is the best in the business!

aconte

#69114 - 03/01/03 05:13 PM Re: An explanation [Re: aconte]
vintagecollector
Learning the Ropes

I see that certain people are already speaking as if they know how GAI's finances are and as though they know EVERYTHING about our hobby?????????? I think if it does happen and Steve has a big say in running a "NEWLY MERGED company these people will probably be forced to BGS or one of the other companies as Steve will not do business with them. I guess then we would see alot of vintage in PRO holders and they would probably go to PRO's site and talk 'em up over there. As for the source of the "rumor" post on the CU boards the originator is far more credible than certain people here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
#69115 - 03/01/03 05:26 PM Response [Re: vintagecollector]
MW1
veteran

Link for vintagecollector (sorry about the popups)
#69116 - 03/01/03 11:24 PM Re: Response [Re: MW1]
SUPERPUNK_813
Learning the Ropes

I just want to say that if this "fish storie" is true and GAI and SGC did merge i for one would drop SGC like a rock! I do not like the GAI holders, or the silver flip and from the limited time ive talked to any of them i dont care much for the staff ether. Ive even tried to cross-over five GAI cards to PSA and three of the five came back one grade lower. Im sure im not the only person who thinks this way about GAI and i think it will be a dark day for SGC if they do merge.

Just my two cents.

#69117 - 03/02/03 12:20 AM Re: Response [Re: SUPERPUNK_813]
MW1
veteran

Superpunk,

In mathematics, if we set an expression equal to zero, we call the solution the "root" of the equation.

In this case, if we set the probability of GAI "buying out" SGC equal to zero, we find that Steve Rocchi is the "root" of the problem.

Hope that helps!

As for the GAI holders, I agree with you. I think they are inferior to SGC holders; but don't worry -- you'll never have to gaze upon their ugly lucite countenances as long as you submit to SGC!

#69118 - 03/02/03 03:38 AM Re: Response [Re: MW1]
aconte

I do not want to go the Gai route. In the long run, the same problems that
exist with Psa now thanks to Rocchi would resurface with Gai. You
can't teach an old dog new tricks. However, I'm starting to think Psa
could be a mess now. So what to do?

I will hopefully complete my 54 + 55 set in Sgc holders. MW1 you need
to send some of these cards in. Without the Sgc supply, my only resort
has been to buy Psa and convert to Sgc. I'd prefer to buy Sgc direct.
I had to pay to submit other dealer's raw red man cards to Sgc this
weekend at the Fort show. They would not submit to Sgc. Direct quote
was "I'll get more money in Psa holders, and they can't get the grades
they need from Sgc. Sgc is tougher and you can get stuff by Psa."
So this is what I'm reduced to do. Pay for the Sgc grading for Psa dealers.
It sucks. But MW1 your company can help me. I don't need many
more but I bet you can still help complete by sets.

And my crossover results were not perfect!

aconte

#69119 - 03/05/03 11:21 AM Re: Response [Re: aconte]
srs1a
Old, dense-headed hammers are cool. Best nail pounders.

Loc: NY

I have to say that I know nothing about GAI's financial situation.

I have been troubled by the buy-out rumor and spoke with someone in Parsippany yesterday. I promised that I would not talk publicly about my discussion, but I was put at ease enough to send in an invoice with 165 cards today. I do not think I am Nero fiddling while Rome burns (at least I hope I am not).

Scott

#69120 - 03/05/03 08:14 PM Re: Response [Re: srs1a]
MW1
veteran

Scott,

You have made a very wise decision. SGC is the hobby's #1 company for the accurate grading of vintage sports cards and it will remain that way for many years to come.

Best of luck on your submissions!

#69121 - 03/05/03 11:33 PM Re: Response [Re: MW1]
vayank
The Amazing Card-Man

Loc: Alexandria, Va

With PSA going through rough times, and GA still trying to find a way to move up the grading food chain, you have these rumors. It distracts from these problems. It also shows the attractiveness of SGC that folks trying to glaum onto them.

The really thing funny thing is, SGC's owner has oodles of cash and a far flung business career/interests. The concept of him being "bought out" (empahsis on BOUGHT OUT) is a real laugher. C'mon, at least call it strategic alliance between industry visionaries or some such thing.

edited for bad syntax

Edited by vayank (03/06/03 12:23 AM)

#69122 - 03/07/03 09:45 AM Re: Response [Re: vayank]
vayank
The Amazing Card-Man

Loc: Alexandria, Va

Finally, this pathetic rumor has been put to sleep. Now people on the Grading Titanic can go ahead and lie about something else to distract themselves from the iceberg.

Edited by vayank (03/07/03 09:49 AM)

#69123 - 03/07/03 11:34 AM Re: Response [Re: vayank]
aconte

VaYank,

Amen Brother! Amen!

aconte

#69124 - 03/07/03 03:51 PM Re: An explanation [Re: aconte]
jackstraw
Talkative?

i have always wondered this? would Sgc make a black insert for regular sized cards to fit in the bigger holders? so that us anal collectors could have their team cards and other horizontal cards displayed the correct way. i for one would not be that turned off by the size of the holders and it probably wouldn't cost all that much. you would need just 4 more sleeves one vertical and one horizontal.
sgc would now have something that no other grading company has.i would be first in line.think about it?55,56,60 baseball(and teams,75 mvp's,a bunch of newer products that a horizontal, a bunch of 71,72,73,74 baseball, 62,68 hockey,57,85 football,80 basketball and i am sure there are more.
any thoughts? would you use this service?

Page all of 3 123>

Moderator:  EARLSWORLD 
Hop to:
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible) and 6 anonymous users online.
Newest Members
klmnop450123, abcdef863349, vwxyz{570399, nopqrs004715, tjf092071
1963 Registered Users

Generated in 0.021 seconds in which 0 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression disabled.