Page 1 of 2 12>
Topic Options
#717526 - 03/16/05 05:52 PM New SGC Price Schedule
vayank
The Amazing Card-Man

Loc: Alexandria, Va

New SGC Price Schedule

What do you guys think about the new SGC price schedule?

#717527 - 03/16/05 05:56 PM Re: New SGC Price Schedule [Re: vayank]
vayank
The Amazing Card-Man

STMF asks:

<
While you're responding to the message board, could you please provide some insight on the recent change to SGC's crossover service

"Crossover service. SGC will no longer accept cards valued in excess of $500 for crossover."

A minimum of $500 to a high-grade vintage collector seems to me to severely limit the range of cards that can go from a competitor's holder into one of yours. Apparently, the risk must outweigh the financial/service benefit to your customers.

I just see this limit as being a real significant hurdle for completing sets from the 50's in SGC slabs that have a graded population majority of star cards in PSA holders.

Example: How would a serious collector finish a 1950 Bowman set (low number series) without crossing cards over with the new value limit in place? How many Mantle cards in NM/MT condition are sub $500? Clemente, Berra, etc would all be ineligible for cross-over.

javascript:void(0)

Maybe I'm not reading this right - feel free to set me straight. >>

#717528 - 03/16/05 05:58 PM Re: New SGC Price Schedule [Re: vayank]
vayank
The Amazing Card-Man

Maybe they need to be cracked out now???

#717529 - 03/16/05 06:06 PM Re: New SGC Price Schedule [Re: vayank]
deadlyembrace
The Venus Card Trap

Loc: Austin, TX

Schwenke's response to STMF's original question(s) transferred here from another thread ...

Hey STMF --

I, too, am looking forward to Sean's reply to your questions.

Perhaps SGC is no longer willing to accept high-dollar liability of damaging cards while removing them from a competitor's holder. For example, assume a $1000 card is submitted for crossover with a minimum grade of SGC 96 to cross. Once SGC begins removing the card, they have implicitly agreed that it is a card worthy of a mint grade. If the card subsequently becomes damaged during removal, then SGC is on the hook for $1000. I can understand that, from SGC's perspective, the risk involved during the "cracking out" process may be unacceptible.

On the other hand, we customers are free to crack out cards as we see fit and "cross" them to SGC holders using different grading tiers. Of course, the "pre-scan" benefit is lost. So in that scenario, you're gambling that your own grading skills mirror that of SGC's graders ... AND ... you're praying that you don't damage the card when removing it from its existing holder. Personally, I would be unwilling to accept either of these risks for highly valued cards.

Another possible option (perhaps ... I'm not trying to spin SGC's policy change ... I'm trying to figure it out ...) would be to submit the $1000 card to SGC for crossover but claim that it's only valued at $500. That is, agree to submit the card at a lesser value thereby limiting SGC's liability. You would still be able to take advantage of the pre-screening benefit, and the professionals would still be cracking out the card. It represents more of a shared risk between SGC and customer.

Whatever the reason, it will hamper collectors' efforts to complete SGC-graded sets. Any other interpretations out there?

#717530 - 03/16/05 06:26 PM Re: New SGC Price Schedule [Re: vayank]
wrigleyfield
Collector is an understatement.

unless customers are allowed to submit $500+ value cards at a $500 or less value - i am at a loss to understand this policy change. If PSA and other companies do not have such a policy, why does SGC need one? This can only hurt SGC's ability to increase market share - which they need to do.

#717531 - 03/16/05 06:49 PM Re: New SGC Price Schedule [Re: wrigleyfield]
aconte
Bid more or post more... tough one...

Loc: On The Beach....where else!

Quote:

Maybe they need to be cracked out now???

That might be true. But this is a risk that most collectors doing
the crossover game from one holder to another can not afford
to take. Cracking out a Psa 8 and then getting an Sgc 86
grade on a high dollar card can be a BIG financial loss in many
cases. The price difference on a Psa 8 verus Sgc 86 red man
52 Ted Williams could be over $5,000.

I got no problem with the policy if it is written to protect SGC.
But it is a mistake if it takes a lot of business away from your company.

aconte

#717532 - 03/16/05 07:01 PM Re: New SGC Price Schedule [Re: aconte]
jackstraw
Talkative?

Loc: @ a Baseball Card Show

I agree Tony.It doesn't really effect me but it might effect a guy like Stan talks about?
Maybe a disclaimer is in order?

#717533 - 03/17/05 06:15 AM Re: New SGC Price Schedule [Re: jackstraw]
srs1a
Old, dense-headed hammers are cool. Best nail pounders.

Loc: NY

Ouch! That's a tough one for me to understand.

If it is a liability concern, it could be addressed with price, rather than discontinuing the service. As STMF says, this will make for tough sledding on anyone trying to do a NM/MT set from the 50's.

It bothers me just as much that this will keep MINT and GEMMINT examples from more recent issues in their current holders.

#717534 - 04/18/05 05:13 AM Re: New SGC Price Schedule [Re: srs1a]
srs1a
Old, dense-headed hammers are cool. Best nail pounders.

Loc: NY

Well, maybe I understand now.

2 cards on my most recent x-over invoice were determined to be trimmed after they were removed from the holder -- one was a PSA-9, the other a PSA-8. There was no evidence of foul play while the cards were in the slab; however, the slab prevented detailed examination of the card edges.

SGC will make good on the issue -- something like $70 for these 2 cards. Given this, I understand their reluctance to take a risk on high dollar cards.

#717535 - 04/22/05 12:26 PM Re: New SGC Price Schedule [Re: srs1a]
vayank
The Amazing Card-Man

What disappoints me is in addition to raising prices, they greatly increased the number of cards needed to qualify for a small price break.

Page 1 of 2 12>

Moderator:  EARLSWORLD 
Hop to:
Who's Online
1 registered (K-Nole) and 7 anonymous users online.
Newest Members
abcdef863349, vwxyz{570399, nopqrs004715, tjf092071, jakerazzle1
1962 Registered Users

Generated in 0.03 seconds in which 0 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression disabled.