Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#72224 - 03/10/03 01:02 AM COLLECTORS UNIVERSE TO SEEK UP TO $20 MILLION LOAN
MW1
veteran

Press Release Source: Collectors Universe, Inc.

Collectors Universe to Seek New Credit Facility Of Up to $20 Million

Monday March 10, 7:01 am ET

NEWPORT BEACH, Calif., March 10 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Collectors Universe, Inc. (Nasdaq: CLCT - News), the leading provider of value-added grading and authentication services and products to dealers and collectors of high-end collectibles, today announced that the Company intends to seek a new bank credit facility or other institutional debt financing in an amount up to $20 million to be used primarily for auction advance lending. The Company also will be retaining the services of an investment banking firm to assist it in obtaining the new credit facility.

"It is our intention to use the borrowings that would be available under a new credit facility primarily to fund advances to consignors to auctions conducted by our Bowers & Merena Galleries, Lyn Knight Currency Auctions, Odyssey and Superior Sports Auctions divisions," said Michael Haynes, Chief Executive Officer of Collectors Universe. "We believe that providing this funding service to consignors will help us to attract additional and larger consignments of valuable collectibles that will enable us to increase the size of our auctions and enhance our revenues in the future. For example, we currently estimate that we could generate as much as $9.6 million of additional revenues annually if we could provide a consignment related advance program of $10 million."

Collectors Universe presently has access to an undrawn $1.5 million short-term credit facility with a commercial bank.

#72225 - 03/10/03 01:11 AM Re: COLLECTORS UNIVERSE TO SEEK UP TO $20 MILLION LOAN [Re: MW1]
MW1
veteran

Comments:

As far as sports auctions are concerned, this is probably a pretty smart strategy. In order to compete with some of the other large auctions, Superior has got to do something to attract more consignments. Assuming that CU can locate a source of financing, it will be interesting to see if cash advances to consignors can have any effect on the size and quality of Superior's auctions.

I am curious to see which investment banking firm CU will employ and if and when they are able to obtain a sizable loan to implement this business plan. I also wonder what percent Superior will be paying on the value of consigned items and if this percent will vary with the item's value and desirability.

#72226 - 03/10/03 02:52 AM Re: COLLECTORS UNIVERSE TO SEEK UP TO $20 MILLION LOAN [Re: MW1]
jtryka
FACT if I stop posting, trillions and trillions of transistors would be out of work.

Loc: The Crossroads of America

My money would be on Needham doing this deal, since they cover the company with a "Buy" recommendation, and CLCT presented at the Needham conference in NYC in January. Roth Capital is also a local bank in Orange County that may also have an opportunity to participate, since doing a deal with them may bring additional research coverage, and more exposure. This is pure speculation however.

#72227 - 03/10/03 03:01 AM Re: COLLECTORS UNIVERSE TO SEEK UP TO $20 MILLION LOAN [Re: MW1]
nwcs
Up 20 words per minute since I signed up

Loc: Tennessee

Interesting strategy. I wonder how it will pan out?

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  EARLSWORLD 
Hop to:
Who's Online
0 registered and 6 anonymous users online.
Newest Members
klmnop450123, abcdef863349, vwxyz{570399, nopqrs004715, tjf092071
1963 Registered Users

Generated in 0.015 seconds in which 0 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression disabled.