Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#72499 - 03/10/03 09:58 AM Improvements to cross-over grading
stanthemanfan
If I just sell the car, I can up my bid...

The results for my latest set registry special submission came back today.

2 1968 SCD 8.5 converted over to SGC 96's - nobody great, but a good deal to pull 96's at $6.99 a pop + the $3.00 crossover fee.

However, my main beef is with a PSA 8 that I sent in that didn't crossover at a 88 grade. This is the second time that this has happened for me and I'm completely amazed and disappointed. I very much hope that I receive some explanation why. The last submission did not have any reason why my minimum grade was not achieved.

I think SGC should provide some feature indication why they disagree with the submitter opinion for the MIN grade.

My suggestion would be to add a check box for corners, edges, centering, focus - (these are the only reasons I can think off that would prevent a card from grading at a certain level).

This would help educate SGC's customers on a what their grading standards are. Without doing so, it appears to be a random decision by the people in NJ.

I welcome your thoughts.

STMF

#72500 - 03/10/03 11:18 AM Re: Improvements to cross-over grading [Re: stanthemanfan]
aconte
Bid more or post more... tough one...

Loc: On The Beach....where else!

Stmf,

My experiences at a show are similar. The graders are pretty busy. I got
lucky at the end of the last show. The one grader saw me staring at
one card with a confused look saying to myself "Why didn't this cross?"
He came over and went through the card in detail. He even reviewed the
back of the card. My guess (and just a guess) is that it would not be
cost effective to comment on all the cards that don't cross. On a couple
I did get a sticky with arrows pointing to spots on the card. That was
about it.

I guess at $3 a pop you did ok. I'm sure for a few dollars more or a case
of brew they give you a few words. Unless you sent them some Schiltz
or Genesee [!@#%^&^].

aconte

#72501 - 03/10/03 12:32 PM Re: Improvements to cross-over grading [Re: aconte]
stanthemanfan

aconte

No bad talking ol' Genny on the board. I can't think of a better beer to cry in when my cards don't cross.

Question of the day for the board.

Can anyone name another US brewery that produces a Cream Ale other than Genesee?

STMF

#72502 - 03/11/03 07:47 AM Re: Improvements to cross-over grading [Re: stanthemanfan]
srs1a
Old, dense-headed hammers are cool. Best nail pounders.

Loc: NY

STMF, this is the third time I am trying to respond -- the board seems a bit shaky this afternoon.

First, I was raised on genny cream ale...mmm mmm good! But I am clueless who makes another -- who is it?

Second, I assume the problem child was another '68, correct? If so, the problem has to be corners -- I know how you are on centering, so that's not it...and if it was a PSA-8, the surface is fine. So, it's those darn '68 burlap borders obscuring things. I have studied how SGC call these corners quite a bit -- and to be honest, I cannot see damage on an 86 with my naked eyes. I've come to the conclusion that the burlap only allows you to tell if the corner is square -- but not "rubbed"...and square corners do not make an 88.

STMF, my friend, it is time to invest in a loupe! My recommendation is a PEAK 10X No 1961 -- shouldn't set you back more than $10. Once you get it, I'll send you some cards to study (all you have are those darn 92's and you can't learn anything from them!) I'd offer to lend you mone, but I can't live without it.

Scott

Edited by srs1a (03/11/03 07:49 AM)

#72503 - 03/11/03 08:33 AM Re: Improvements to cross-over grading [Re: srs1a]
aconte
Bid more or post more... tough one...

Loc: On The Beach....where else!

Is it Samual Adams?

aconte

#72504 - 03/11/03 10:15 AM Re: Improvements to cross-over grading [Re: srs1a]
stanthemanfan

Scott,

Based on my knowledge and a bit of research - Genny Cream Ale is/was the only major regional brewery to produce that style of beer. There a few brewpubs/micros that make an occasional cream ale-ish offering. Sleeman's out of Canada brews a cream ale and so does Molson (available only in Canada). So the answer - I believe is no one, only Genesee. Maybe not the greatest 1st question of the day.

On to the important issue. No, my disappointment was on a 1964 Topps Whitey Ford. 50.00/50.00 centering -gorgeous. there was 1 tiny nick on an edge - corners are sharp. I'll attach a few pictures when it arrives tomorrow back from SGC. This is the 2nd time - the 1965 Koufax (an absolute mystery - I refuse to accept the non-92 grade!) was the first and now the Ford. I'm starting to form an opinion on PSA to SGC crosses.

I won't to take an 86 grade on the Ford.

Looking forward to finding out how a small submission of raw '68s and a nice '50 Bowman 1st series go for grades. Take a look at my 1968 registry - let me know if any of my cards fit into your 30% unaccounted for - maybe we can make a trade on some of your duplicates.

STMF

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  EARLSWORLD 
Hop to:
Who's Online
0 registered and 8 anonymous users online.
Newest Members
klmnop450123, abcdef863349, vwxyz{570399, nopqrs004715, tjf092071
1963 Registered Users

Generated in 0.056 seconds in which 0 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression disabled.