Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#77085 - 03/20/03 09:58 AM This could make someone RICH
Fabfrank
(S)uper Collector

When I first started collecting graded cards, I decided I would do player sets. I was going to collect every mainstream card of my favorite players from RC year to retirement. I was buying PSA, SGC and BGS graded cards. Until the CU set registry came along I only flirted with the idea of doing a whole set in graded format. My idea is someone (or even one of the big 3 grading companies), could start a separate Registry regardless of whose holder the card would be in. We would than have sets that would have both PSA and SGC graded cards in them. Collectors wouldn't have to worry about crossing their cards over, and we would eventually see sets with the best cards from both companies. Any opinions on this out there?
#77086 - 03/20/03 10:31 AM Re: This could make someone RICH [Re: Fabfrank]
srs1a
Old, dense-headed hammers are cool. Best nail pounders.

Loc: NY

Fabfrank,

When I first got into graded cards, I also started doing player sets (just the base cards, not allstars, leaders, etc). I've got complete sets of Aaron, Banks and Clemente and Mays from '55 on. They are mostly in PSA holders, but some in SGC and 1 in a BGS holder...so I definately know where you are coming from.

I also like the idea, but I think it has a couple of problems. It isn't clear to me how anybody would get rich (or even make money) -- unless, the collector was required to pay for the service of listing his/her set. If that's the model...I'm not interested. Another potential problem would be "normalizing" the grades of the various companies...asking the quesion if all MINT (or NM/MT or NM...) are created equal...this is sure to stimulate some interesting discussion!

All that aside, it appears to me that GAI might be up to something that skirts these issues -- have you looked at their "exemplar" service? You send them a card and they grade it through the holder -- you can cross it over if you want, or they will just put a GAI sticker on the holder with the GAI grade. They get you for a few of bucks to grade the card and a few more if you want it re-holdered. I hear that they are starting a registry...so this might allow you to keep you PSA/SGC/BGS cards in their current holders, but list them on the GAI resistry. I think that this is a pretty interesting approach...perhaps SGC should consider it, as well.

Scott

#77087 - 03/20/03 11:06 AM Re: This could make someone RICH [Re: srs1a]
Fabfrank
(S)uper Collector

srs1a- I initially couldn't think of a way to make money off the idea either. It would make a nice addition to a hobby site, but would compromise any of the card grading sites.
I read about GAI's Exemplar service. Interesting, but I don't collect their cards. Reason being, I'm just not comfortable with them. I'm comfortable with PSA and SGC. I'm doing specific sets on both sites, but I still do my player runs in whatever holder I get. I do find myself submitting more modern cards to SGC though. You can't beat the pricing and the pre-screen service eliminates holdering those borderline cards.

#77088 - 03/20/03 11:23 AM Re: This could make someone RICH [Re: Fabfrank]
srs1a

Fabfrank,

I don't have a single GAI card, either. I've got PSA, SGC, BGS, BVG, SCD...but no GAI. ..and for the same reason.

Scott

#77089 - 03/20/03 01:50 PM Re: This could make someone RICH [Re: Fabfrank]
aconte
Bid more or post more... tough one...

Loc: On The Beach....where else!

I think Scott is right. Gai is looking at doing this. My guess when their
registry comes up it will have the capability to have different grading
companies cards on them.

Right now my preference is to try to keep things uniform. But I could
be swayed if it is a nice product offering. I like my sets from one company.
And I like to mix it up with Sgc and Psa(but this might be changing soon).
I guess I'm picky or anal retentive. I remember collecting sets when
I was a kid and I usually always kept my cards in number order. And
if I did a second set they were in team order with the leader cards and
stuff in the front. Crazy huh....

aconte

#77090 - 03/20/03 06:24 PM Re: This could make someone RICH [Re: aconte]
stanthemanfan
If I just sell the car, I can up my bid...

My only question to this discussion is - how would GAI, SGC, PSA or a non-grading third party be able to validate the serial number from a competitors product as being legit. I would imagine that the graded card databases would need to be shared between companies to make this work.

I would think that no one (meaning PSA, SGC, BGS, etc) would ever agree to do this.

STMF

#77091 - 03/21/03 04:59 AM Re: This could make someone RICH [Re: stanthemanfan]
srs1a

STMF,

Today, both BGS's and PSA's certification databases are open -- meaning, you can got to their websites...type in the number...and verify the card and grade (for BGS, you can even verify the subgrades).

Scott

#77092 - 03/21/03 06:25 AM Re: This could make someone RICH [Re: stanthemanfan]
aconte
Bid more or post more... tough one...

Loc: On The Beach....where else!

STMF,

I think the company would grade the card with the other company's
holder included. Basically, you would have two holders. I think that
is how it would work....

aconte

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  EARLSWORLD 
Hop to:
Who's Online
0 registered and 4 anonymous users online.
Newest Members
abcdef863349, vwxyz{570399, nopqrs004715, tjf092071, jakerazzle1
1962 Registered Users

Generated in 0.018 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression disabled.