Page 2 of 4 <1234>
Topic Options
#79796 - 03/31/03 01:44 PM Re: phatty the baseball card detective! [Re: srs1a]
hammer
Carpal Tunnel

You're kidding me, aren't you? The card has been hacked so severely that it's still SHRIEKING! Puh-LEASE tell me you're kidding, that is unless you're new to the hobby and really aren't feigning "selective blindness". I never said that the case was opened and the trimmed card replaced in its confines. The trimmed card was probably submitted worked up the wahzoo and PSA, either not knowing any better, or being blinded by the identity of the submittor, slabbed it as though it was a Virgin card. Cards can be cleaned, pressed, stretched, cut, rebuilt, in-painted, air-brushed, re-stenciled, borders shifted, bleached (ever see all the nice E145s in PSA holders that have card borders that are WHITER than the PSA label???...they were printed on CREAM color stock...why don't you see any of these 90% water, 10% clorox, bleach jobs sitting in SGC holders?)
What about the Cochrane that Phatty pointed out? Is THAT a PSA 8?

I've seen T206 Cobb portrait (red background) cards sitting in PSA 7 and 8 holders that have SNOW-WHITE borders, and the red ends of the portraiture actually closer to PINK than RED from the migrating bleach swabbed on the borders. I've seen T206 cards with portraiture LARGER than normal, perfect edges and the cards SIZED...meaning that the card was STRETCHED first, then whacked. I NEVER see these AFTERMARKET specials sitting in SGC holders, always in PSA, Pro, CTA, ASA, etc. holders. WAKE UP and use your cognitive powers of OBSERVATION. Michael Wentz spoke nothing but the truth in respect to these subjects. He KNOWS because of his incredible card knowledge and doubly incredible inventory that is as devoid of these nonsensical cards as any dealer in the hobby. The man can spot a card from across the room and tell you what was done, when, how, and WHO did it. Same case as Richard Simon with autographs. Probably the most talented autograph identification expert in his field.

#79797 - 03/31/03 07:19 PM Re: phatty the baseball card detective! [Re: hammer]
srs1a
Old, dense-headed hammers are cool. Best nail pounders.

Loc: NY

yaaaaaaaaawn

and again,

yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawn

Aaaaaaah, I feel better now.

#79798 - 03/31/03 07:24 PM Re: phatty the baseball card detective! [Re: hammer]
Dungeon
If you have a dream about out-posting me, you better wake up and apologize.

Loc: Still Married!

wow Meth....you are even more paraniod then Nixon ever was.

#79799 - 03/31/03 10:24 PM phatty the card connoisseur [Re: aconte]
Phatty
There's a fine line between clever and stupid - Spinal Tap

Loc: is phatty back?

aconte, phatty's not sure if that's andy pafko or tiny timm on the right.

phatty's confused. are the really old cards worth more with stains or without stains?

phatty link 1

phatty link 2

phatty cannot help but think that some baseball cards are like old, expensive cheese. they get moldy after a few decades, but after you scrape all the mold off, it's nothing but fragrantly cultured milkfat underneath! phatty thinks his superior understanding of cheese and whey products gives him an edge in grading over other "uncultured" beginners.

#79800 - 04/01/03 08:46 AM Re: phatty the baseball card detective! [Re: hammer]
srs1a
Old, dense-headed hammers are cool. Best nail pounders.

Loc: NY

Allright Jammer, after a good night's sleep, I'll respond to your tirade.

The discussion started with the plump one declaring that he had found a re-sealed holder...nothing to do with a trimmed card, a bleached card, a stretched card, a scrapple stained card...but, a holder that had been tampered with.

I commented that there were some suspicious aspects to the holder, and that the card was OC. You seem to know a good bit about Goudeys and believe that the card is trimmed. OK, I have no reason to doubt you, but also have no experience with this issue, so cannot offer an opinion.

I have never doubted MW's expertise in all things cardboard, nor have I ever questioned SGC's skill in grading. Where did these choice tidbits come from?

I don't consider myself "new to the hobby" or "selectively blind", but thanks for the kind words.

Over and out.

#79801 - 04/01/03 12:49 PM phatty at appomattox [Re: srs1a]
Phatty
There's a fine line between clever and stupid - Spinal Tap

Loc: is phatty back?

phatty is sad

can't we all just get along and accept the fact that some companies like to put doo-doo in their holders?

#79802 - 04/01/03 02:06 PM Re: phatty the baseball card detective! [Re: srs1a]
hammer
Carpal Tunnel

SRS, you know NOTHING about altered cards. Couldn't recognize one, in a PSA holder or otherwise, if I smacked you across the face with one. Your collection, if you have one, must be rife with them. PARANOID?? I could tell you from across the street if a card is trimmed, painted, bleached, etc.. Same as M or B Wentz and a few other OBSERVANT/ANALYTICAL parties in the hobby can who have an extensive knowledge of the many processes that cards are subjected to. Do you have ANY idea how many PSA 5s and 6s have been bought by one LONGTIME restorer alone, and slightly tweaked just enough to be reslabbed a 6 or 7, then pushed through one of 5 or 6 "select" dealers that have the "mums the word" attitude? There's one restorer who makes a profitable living doing just that. Live in ignorance, SRS. Keep sleeping, while you SHOULD be learning.

#79803 - 04/01/03 02:27 PM Re: phatty the baseball card detective! [Re: hammer]
aconte
Bid more or post more... tough one...

Loc: On The Beach....where else!

Hammer,

I don't think Srs1a is claiming to be the king of knowledge when it comes
to recognizing altered cards. I don't understand the hostility on your
part.

In reply to:

I could tell you from across the street if a card is trimmed, painted, bleached, etc..

I'm sure you are good. But not that good.

In reply to:

Same as M or B Wentz and a few other OBSERVANT/ANALYTICAL parties in the hobby can who have an extensive knowledge of the many processes that cards are subjected to

From my limited hobby and 'life' experiences I would not be surprised if
almost ANY ONE and I mean ANY ONE could be fooled at one point or
another. No one is perfect. Even the best make mistakes. Obviously, the
pros make very very few. I don't want to read you comments verbatim
but I just think that if you believe you could catch every altered card, you
are wrong.

Just my .02 cents.

aconte

#79804 - 04/01/03 02:40 PM Re: phatty the baseball card detective! [Re: aconte]
Dungeon
If you have a dream about out-posting me, you better wake up and apologize.

Loc: Still Married!

Hes very hostile when his manhood is threatened. Like Bear. His exploits in the field of trimming, bleaching,pressing,cutting,rubbing,fondling are legendary. Fighting with him is futile. Be warned.

#79805 - 04/01/03 02:44 PM Re: phatty the baseball card detective! [Re: aconte]
hammer
Carpal Tunnel

How do you know the depth of my knowledge? My limitations? Are you God?

Page 2 of 4 <1234>

Moderator:  EARLSWORLD 
Hop to:
Who's Online
0 registered and 8 anonymous users online.
Newest Members
jklmno253672, hijklm176309, defghi521014, klmnop450123, abcdef863349
1966 Registered Users

Generated in 0.018 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression disabled.