Page 9 of 12 « First<7891011>Last »
Topic Options
#9109 - 12/30/02 01:19 AM Re: GA has PSA Heads Spooked [Re: srs1a]
deadlyembrace
The Venus Card Trap

Loc: Austin, TX

Hey Scott --

In reply to:

Joe Orlando (pres of PSA) posted some stuff of the other board saying that they were grading about 100k cards per month ... he also said that they employed "at least 12 graders"... if one assumes that means 12 graders...and assuming 175 hrs worked per month...and 100k cards graded per month -- means 1.25 minutes per card per grader!

Those numbers don't pass the smell test, do they ... !!??!! SGC claims to be grading 30K cards per month. Any idea how many graders SGC has on staff?

#9110 - 12/30/02 02:11 AM Re: GA has PSA Heads Spooked [Re: deadlyembrace]
srs1a
Old, dense-headed hammers are cool. Best nail pounders.

Loc: NY

Hi DE,

here's the post -- directly from the other board...

3) Currently, we have over a dozen graders in-house - that's the only way we could grade 100,000 cards per month.

Here's the link to the thread -- it's pretty near the bottom.
http://forums.collectors.com/messageview.cfm?catid=37&threadid=151236

The math is straight foward -- an average (working) month is 175 hours at 40hrs/week...which gets you to 48 cards per grader per hour with 12 graders.

Does it pass the smell test? It seems to be a brutal pace and says to me that I don't want to be a grader when I grow up!

Scott

#9111 - 12/30/02 07:12 AM Re: GA has PSA Heads Spooked [Re: srs1a]
deadlyembrace
The Venus Card Trap

Loc: Austin, TX

Hey Scott --

I enjoyed reading that thread ... sounds like there's no such thing as universal love in PSA world!!

gaspipe26 sounds seriously ticked. I think I've bid against him in the past, and I may have even bought from him (I think ... ). Do you get a sense that his opinions are characteristic of a growing segment of PSA folk ... ???

Also, do you have to join the PSA club to be able to post on their message boards?

#9112 - 12/30/02 10:20 AM Re: GA has PSA Heads Spooked [Re: deadlyembrace]
vayank
The Amazing Card-Man

Loc: Alexandria, Va

DE > You do not have to be a member to post on the other Board. I've been posting for 18 months now.

#9113 - 12/30/02 11:12 AM Re: GA has PSA Heads Spooked [Re: deadlyembrace]
aconte
Bid more or post more... tough one...

Loc: On The Beach....where else!

DE,

I've been on that board for some time also. Some great posters with a wealth
of card knowledge too. I have learned a lot from guys like gaspipe, crazysc,
dgf, basilone, z, gator, ms, and others just to name a few. A wealth of
information. From some just a little too much unconditional love. So be
careful if you say anything bad about Psa. It could get rough....

That and if you try to post anything regarding earnings info; you might
get slapped around... Right VaYank!!

By the way this has nothing to do with this thread but:::

GO EAGLES!!!!

aconte

#9114 - 12/30/02 01:41 PM Re: GA has PSA Heads Spooked [Re: downgoesfrazier]
Anonymous Unregistered

Guys, Every third-party authentication company should be spooked by GAI. They're coming hard and fast. PSA has hit rock-bottom in terms of consistency. Two influential & ardent PSA collectors on popular sets are beginning to submit to Global. More to come. Don't talk to me about what's listed on eBay--the fact is GAI is getting BUSIER while PSA is getting SLOWER.

SGC...opportunity isn't knocking...it's pounding on the door.

Something very interesting seems to be happening. Any details you know of?

#9115 - 12/30/02 04:24 PM Re: GA has PSA Heads Spooked
downgoesfrazier
I am gonna miss that car.

Loc: Summer of '77

Sometimes buzzes like these pass in and out like a scent...

In this case I think it comes to this: Many people are recognizing that each company has credibility. Each has strengths and weaknesses. These can be recognized from varying perspectives based on unique experiences. Mine, which COULD be another thread...
I do my 77's primarily with PSA (Some SGC as well) My 75's and 80's and 83's are all SGC.
The balance of everything (Pre-war to present) I intend to keep is Baker certified. I just feel very confident with him and he's real consistent. I just don't get too many cards back from Global and go "Huh?" This happens virtually every submission to PSA these days. Over and under. It doesn't make PSA evil or stupid, I just can't get a handle on their standard anymore. SGC, like Global, is very conscious of the image on the card and aesthetic appeal. I LOVE that criteria. They call 'em freakin' PICTURE CARDS--how can a MINT 9 have a lousy picture??? (I digress). They have a great looking holder and arguably the co-best grader in the hobby (Derek), as well as the best group of guys you'd ever want to meet. They seem uncompromising of their standard for anyone. Sean is all business but takes time out to chat when you want him and can be quite candid. Global is dynamic and aggressive and will continue to promote and innovate. They are also, for obvious reasons, very motivated to succeed. The holder is beautiful as well. PSA is the most interactive right now. They have good people there and do a fine job most of the time on the grading. Their registry has been wildly successful and their message boards see heavy traffic daily.
I struggled for some time to find a grading company to cross to or use, etc. I'll use 'em all. The 80's look killer in the SGC slab. The 77 PSA set (for now) would have the highest re-sale value and would be most liquid (important as it is for my Son, Montgomery). If not for that fact, it would be with SGC or Global, too. Baseball cards are like art to me and those holders pop.

In closing, I'm not sure what's cooking...something is. I know many PSA guys are exploring options slowly but surely and this will be a great thing for the hobby. The grading companies should stand on their merits of what they DO, not strictly liquidity. I'm guilty, but human. It would be great if many collectors dispersed their cards based on what they liked and could count on similar liquidity and resale...for that to happen a whole slew of unenlightened collectors would have to understand that ALL three are solid and do good work. At times, some do it better than others.

I'll keep you posted if I hear anything that I can actually share...

#9116 - 12/30/02 05:07 PM Re: GA has PSA Heads Spooked [Re: downgoesfrazier]
Anonymous Unregistered

77s - Very well said. I agree with that pretty much word for word.

#9117 - 12/31/02 12:45 AM Re: GA has PSA Heads Spooked [Re: deadlyembrace]
srs1a
Old, dense-headed hammers are cool. Best nail pounders.

Loc: NY

Hello DE,

As the rest of the crew stated -- no need to be a member, but you have to register and it takes a while...no mystery posts over there. I think that would be a good idea here, as well.

As with any board of that type, there are plenty of "party loyalists" who offer unconditional support, but also some very objective people asking tough questions. In general, I find much of the discussion very interesting.

You will recognize a few folks by their names, and a few more by their opinions!

Scott

#9118 - 12/31/02 01:43 AM Re: GA has PSA Heads Spooked
downgoesfrazier
I am gonna miss that car.

Loc: Summer of '77

Anonymous,
It's great that we agree, but please register so it doesn't look like I'm having a conversation with myself. Recently, I've been accused of being schizophrenic and this just doesn't look too good right now

Page 9 of 12 « First<7891011>Last »

Moderator:  EARLSWORLD 
Hop to:
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible) and 3 anonymous users online.
Newest Members
vwxyz{570399, nopqrs004715, tjf092071, jakerazzle1, rstuvw197344
1961 Registered Users

Generated in 0.018 seconds in which 0.002 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression disabled.