Page 3 of 12 <12345>Last »
Topic Options
#9049 - 11/06/02 01:11 AM Re: GA has PSA Heads Spooked [Re: downgoesfrazier]
srs1a
Old, dense-headed hammers are cool. Best nail pounders.

Loc: NY

77's,

I'm interested in the connection between dslsports and PSA that you imply. What's the deal here?

thanks!

Scott

#9050 - 11/06/02 01:38 PM Re: GA has PSA Heads Spooked [Re: srs1a]
downgoesfrazier
I am gonna miss that car.

Loc: Summer of '77

S,
Before I unload both barrels...Ever bought a PSA- graded card from those folks?
77s

#9051 - 11/06/02 04:13 PM Re: GA has PSA Heads Spooked [Re: srs1a]
Anonymous Unregistered

I am not certain, but 77 might be talking about the great grades they get. They get nines and tens from psa that look like sevens. I wont buy any REDS cards from them without a large scan. I email them and they never respond anyways.
I collect psa cards (and sgc) but psa gives grades away IMO to volume submitters like dslsports. I'm sure there are others but dsls cards are overgraded.
77 if wrong, i'm sorry. Have you noticed their grades? Was that you who won the Geronimo from 77?

#9052 - 11/07/02 01:16 AM Re: GA has PSA Heads Spooked [Re: downgoesfrazier]
srs1a

77s,

Yes, I have...but it was quite a while ago and I don't remember being enraged by the quality of the cards.

I've certainly gotten my share of "stinkers" in PSA holders, but never coupled it with a specific dealer and assumed it was just poor quality control...or what ever you want to call it.

I also think that there is an element of time in graded cards -- I started using PSA about 7 or 8 years ago and used them for about 4-5 years. I can say with absolute certainty that their standards changed very significantly over that time (they got harder as time went on)...this culminated when Beckett got into the business and PSA went berzerk with qualifiers. Then Beckett came out with BVG and PSA went in reverse again. Associated with all of this churn were a couple of changes in their holder and their numbering methodology (I think I can decode it pretty accurately)...so I use these in evaluating a PSA graded card in addition to the scan.

That being said, I think that SGC also went through some changes over time. I honestly believe that an SGC card with the split-scale (92 / 8.5) is a nicer card than one without it. I believe that they instituted this change about the same time that BGS reared its ugly head.

Does anyone else feel this way?

Scott

#9053 - 11/07/02 01:18 AM Re: GA has PSA Heads Spooked
aconte
Bid more or post more... tough one...

Loc: On The Beach....where else!

On the subject of Dslsports....

I used to buy 64 Topps giants from them. Some of their nines looked
like eights. They never answered any of my emails either.

I stopped buying from them before threads came up questioning their
relationship and favorable grading with Psa. I had my own suspicions.
I had eights that were better than their nines. I sold most of the cards
I bought from them to persue other interests. I'm glad I did. I've seen that
they get most of the Psa 10 64 Giants too. I asked the person
who has bought many of them and he says the cards are top notch.
I believe him because he is a stand up guy and knows this set inside
out. Still I'm uncomfortable with Dsl. Maybe it's me. Maybe not. But
I pass on all their auctions.

aconte

#9054 - 11/07/02 01:20 AM Re: GA has PSA Heads Spooked [Re: aconte]
aconte
Bid more or post more... tough one...

Loc: On The Beach....where else!

77's,

Did you get my email? I wasn't sure if you could answer my questions.

aconte

#9055 - 11/07/02 03:04 AM Re: GA has PSA Heads Spooked [Re: srs1a]
deadlyembrace
The Venus Card Trap

Loc: Austin, TX

Just FYI ... SGC has offered the 92 half-grade since day 1 ... and that was back in 1998.

#9056 - 11/07/02 03:57 AM Re: GA has PSA Heads Spooked [Re: deadlyembrace]
srs1a

DE,
I am well aware that SGC has offered half grades from day 1...however, the addition of (what they called) a split scale -- putting both 92 and 8.5 on the holder, for example -- was something new...and (I believe) came right after BGS entered the grading market.
SS

#9057 - 11/07/02 04:11 AM Re: GA has PSA Heads Spooked [Re: srs1a]
deadlyembrace
The Venus Card Trap

Loc: Austin, TX

Ooops ... my bad ...

I missed the point of your comment ...

#9058 - 11/20/02 01:16 PM Re: GA has PSA Heads Spooked [Re: deadlyembrace]
stanthemanfan
If I just sell the car, I can up my bid...

I'd like to hear from anyone who has purchased GAI slabbed cards. I recently bought two cards on Ebay (they haven't arrived yet - so I have nothing to compare to my SGC's) - 1950 Bowman baseball common graded 8 and a 1968 Topps graded 9. In both cases, the cards went for less than either SGC or PSA equivalent grades for these two sets. The Bowman was an uncontested win.

What's the feel/interest at the local or regional shows for GAI product? I know a few of the participants on this board aren't necessarily fans of the company - setting aside the business side of the opinions - how does the product fit relative to SGC and PSA.

The reason I ask - the GAI cards that I see on Ebay and a few of the bigger dealer websites appear to be sharper/nicer cards than PSA's from the same set in the same grade. The GAI's are closer to what I would expect from an SGC slabbed card. Are GAI cards being graded using the same conservative approach as SGC? It certainly seems like they fetch a lower asking price.

Anyone out there with a GAI purchase experience - I'd appreciate any feedback.

By the way - the GAI's are heading to NJ for cross-over. At $3 a card - its a easy decision.

Page 3 of 12 <12345>Last »

Moderator:  EARLSWORLD 
Hop to:
Who's Online
0 registered and 3 anonymous users online.
Newest Members
vwxyz{570399, nopqrs004715, tjf092071, jakerazzle1, rstuvw197344
1961 Registered Users

Generated in 0.017 seconds in which 0 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression disabled.