Page 4 of 12 « First<23456>Last »
Topic Options
#9059 - 11/21/02 01:25 AM Re: GA has PSA Heads Spooked [Re: stanthemanfan]
srs1a
Old, dense-headed hammers are cool. Best nail pounders.

Loc: NY

STMF,

it you haven't seen it, there is a thread about ...GAI part of the problem, or an option..where a bunch of people weigh in on them..

SS

#9060 - 11/21/02 05:36 AM Re: GA has PSA Heads Spooked [Re: srs1a]
aconte
Bid more or post more... tough one...

Loc: On The Beach....where else!

VaYank had a lot of nerve starting this thread.

aconte

#9061 - 11/21/02 06:16 AM Re: GA has PSA Heads Spooked [Re: aconte]
vayank
The Amazing Card-Man

Loc: Alexandria, Va

I am personally very surprised that such tame stuff ruffles feathers across the street. I think it confirms the unnerving effect GA can, and does, have on otherwise cool PSA heads. It's becomes complex and heated when slabs become simply, in the end, just cash. You personalize things faster.

#9062 - 11/23/02 03:55 PM Re: GA has PSA Heads Spooked [Re: stanthemanfan]
downgoesfrazier
I am gonna miss that car.

Loc: Summer of '77

I've done my homework--here's the straight dope-- GAI is super-solid. Very strict and consistent. They have arguably the best eyes in the hobby applying their standard. Even Mike & Steve detractors have to agree their eyes have few peers. They will be more innovative than any other company. Interestingly, GAI (stars only) vintage product is moving extremely well on the show floors. They are realizing equal and in many cases higher premiums than PSA. On eBay the results will be rather poor as many people simply do not know who they are and PSA is still the household name and owns the on-line market. I was amazed how busy GAI was in Chicago this weekend. They are doing $3 pre-grading. If you like the grade, they'll slab the card for the difference. Collectors enjoy the lower risk of "bubble" cards and dealers can please all...graded types and raw types with the comfort of the cards being guaranteed unaltered. Geez, I sound like a commercial, but I am really impressed. These guys learned from their mistakes at PSA and have a real monster brewing here. Very comparable to SGC in terms of grading standards--perhaps a little tighter in some areas. Lastly, they have started doing half grades like SGC. I have crossed two GAI 8's to PSA thus far...1 PSA 8 and 1 PSA 9 ('64 topps) the rest I'm keeping Global--the holder is super-sharp as well. I haven't crossed any to SGC yet. In conclusion, you'll be real pleased with those cards, I believe.

#9063 - 11/24/02 01:40 AM Re: GA has PSA Heads Spooked [Re: downgoesfrazier]
aconte
Bid more or post more... tough one...

Loc: On The Beach....where else!

77's

That is good to hear about GAI. We should throw a party for them.
Let me know how it is.

I'm glad they got in on the half grades too. With Baker's expertise in
the grading of cards (especially vintage), it only confirms the smart
decision by Sgc to use this systems years ago.

aconte

#9064 - 11/24/02 02:44 PM Re: GA has PSA Heads Spooked [Re: aconte]
downgoesfrazier

aconte,
Yeah, they're real solid. I was lining up to bash 'em and just can't thus far....OK, here's one, turnaround was a touch slow, I guess. Customer service will be the rough part for them. They're the greatest guys in person and when you have their attention, but GETTING their attention was difficult at PSA...we'll see. As for the half grades, I really don't see how a company can justify not using that system. Let's face it...BIG difference between a high-end 8 and a MINT 9 particularily in price...I like to have a real good idea about what I'm buying when there is a premium involved.

One note about about SGC that may/may not belong in a different thread...
TERRIBLE JOB AT ADVERTISING THE REGISTRY IN CHICAGO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
No banners, flyers or word spreading about any offers that a PSA guy couldn't refuse. That scares guys who are on the fence with their sets..."Man, they don't even advertise publicly the single largest move they've made in their history..."
That was a quote (pretty close anyway) from an ardent PSA supporter who had a curiosity for SGC's registry. I was looking for BAM! For 30 days we'll cross your cards over for ONE BUCK! Or, CONTEST--Be the 5000th card to register and your invoice is FREE! Or, come up with a new slogan for SGC and recieve a hundred submissions. Something...ANYTHING would have been nice. I don't want to slam these great, talented guys but GET SOME PERSONALITY and humor about your stuff! Even Bob Dole became likeable when he laughed at his position. SGC should make their position as #2 or whatever work for them...I'm rambling, but they did NOTHING! Disappointed.

#9065 - 11/24/02 11:57 PM Re: GA has PSA Heads Spooked [Re: downgoesfrazier]
vayank
The Amazing Card-Man

77 >

I think you (and the other poster) need to relax abit about the Chicago show. Be a bit more sanguine about it. It's clear that SGC folks are card geeks first and marketers last. And it's not that I don't agree with your comments, but SGC has shown a great ability to make adjustments.

Just consider the changes of the last 12 months: Pop reports, message boards, registry's, price guides, easier (and cheaper) pricing structures, plus more. They'll improve on this front. I have no doubt about that.

In the end, how much they improve their marketing can only be judged down the road, not at one show.

#9066 - 11/25/02 03:55 PM Re: GA has PSA Heads Spooked [Re: vayank]
downgoesfrazier

Mathew,
I told myself I would never answer a post with the word sanguine in it but here goes...

Get a clue and don't tell people who are quite rational to calm down. The show was a bust with a capital B! Further, SGC can't seem to get my set right in the registry...constant technical problems are sucking the enjoyment out of this. It's early but they're behind and getting "behinder" (how's that for a big word)...you should live in Chicago--you'd make a great Cub fan--expect little and cheer even less. The registry is aesthetically pleasing and it'll be fine, but SGC NEEDS to make a splash too big to ignore, period. Stop living in your SGC dream world...to some of us this is fun, but we want to be reasonably informed and responsible about where we dump 4-5K on grading little chunks of generation-old cardboard.
Cheers!
77s

#9067 - 11/26/02 01:13 AM Re: GA has PSA Heads Spooked [Re: downgoesfrazier]
srs1a
Old, dense-headed hammers are cool. Best nail pounders.

Loc: NY

I have to weigh in with 77's on this one.

This is a pretty interesting time -- people are very actively looking for an alternative to PSA and SGC is a very viable option. They need to move and act with more urgency -- they need to make a big splash!

It appears to me that GAI is the main competitor and they are not sitting still -- they just pulled an interesting maneuver and switched to half grades (with no qualifiers -- sound familiar??). I am hearing rumblings of a GAI registry in the not too distant future...and have been hearing some VERY interesting things about it.

So, as they saying goes ...."make hay while the sun is shining"...SGC has a large opportunity in front of them. I want them to suceed...I'd say that all of us on the board want them to suceed...but the next steps are theirs alone (and IMHO critical ones, indeed).

I'd leave it with they've made a good start...and I hope the follow through is just as good.

SS

#9068 - 12/20/02 06:24 AM Re: GA has PSA Heads Spooked [Re: srs1a]
vayank
The Amazing Card-Man

Weird stuff. No doubt they'll find a replacement, but the guy was chairman for only four months. It could be any reason under the sun, but it does raise questions as to why.    

edited to correct verb tense

Dow Jones Business News
Collectors Universe May be Delisted From Nasdaq
Monday December 16, 11:24 am ET

NEWPORT BEACH, Calif. (Dow Jones)--Collectors Universe Inc. is subject to Nasdaq delisting because it doesn't have at least three independent directors on its board and audit committee.

In a press release Monday, Collectors Universe said it is asking Nasdaq for additional time to complete a search for a new director to fill a vacant seat.

James O'Neal resigned as chairman Dec. 6, less than four months after taking over the position from Roger Johnson. A. Clinton Allen, a director since 2001, was named as O'Neal's replacement.

Edited by vayank (12/20/02 07:21 AM)

Page 4 of 12 « First<23456>Last »

Moderator:  EARLSWORLD 
Hop to:
Who's Online
0 registered and 2 anonymous users online.
Newest Members
klmnop450123, abcdef863349, vwxyz{570399, nopqrs004715, tjf092071
1963 Registered Users

Generated in 0.019 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression disabled.